Re: [TexasCzechs] Kolaches and other things

  • Allen Livanec
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 8, 2013
       Great story!

      From: G Martisek <ggmartisek@...>
      To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tue, January 8, 2013 7:19:17 PM
      Subject: [TexasCzechs] Kolaches and other things

      Had a good trip to Beeville to visit husband's family over the holidays.  On the way made a special effort to stop at Prasek's in Hillje.

      It is a fun place to visit.  The pencil sausage was good while it was out, but once I refrigerated it, it became incredibly dry.  Over the Thanksgiving weekend I visited Druik's Meat Market in Castroville and got some of their pencil sausage.  It was good even after refrigerating.  However, I have to say that I think that I prefer Chappel Hill's the most.  I think I will have to order some through the mail.

      Now on to kolaches.  I just had to have some so I asked my husband to pick out an assortment of a dozen while I got the dried pencil sausage.  He did a good job---prune, cherry, cheese, and peach.  They were actually very good.  Did not taste like the ones we get around the Houston area from the local shops.  More like the real thing.  Made me want to try to make some.

      Now on to the best part.  Once we got to the relatives house, one of the siblings brought out a box of old photos from 50+ years ago ---some over 100 years.  Since most of the photos weren't labeled, we started trying to identify and I starting writing on the back of the ones that I wanted.

      One of the sisters brought out a photo album that no one knew that she had and showed us her treasures----she didn't even know who they were.  Turns out that they were her grandmother's father's family (Holy) album.  Several had notes on them to help identify (if you knew some of the genealogy).  Notes like - Evelyn's grandparents or great grandparents.  I was very excited.  I also realized that the rest of the pictures were the other Holy children and their spouses (most were wedding pictures).  I immediately asked if she had a printer (pretty sure she didn't have a scanner.  Then on a whim I asked if she had a multi-function printer.  She didn't have a clue.  Got to love these folks who are into technology.  Turns out it was a multi-function device with a scanner.  I was able to scan and then put on a jump drive.  They turned out great.

      Also over the holidays, I scanned a 4 generation picture of myself and mom, grandmother, and great grandmother.  I made copies for my 4 children.  One had asked for it, but the others got it anyway.  They needed to have a copy of something like that.  All in all, it has been a very good season.

      Gerri