Re: [TexasCzechs] Pamatnik Project

  • Joe Janecka
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 29, 2012
      It stands for "Sdruzeni" translated="association"

      Joe

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 30, 2012
        In an article by Miloslav Rechcigl, Jr. titled  "Czech America in the Struggle for Independent Czechoslovakia," the "Ceske narodni sdruzeni" (C.N.S.) was translated as "Czech National Alliance."  See the eight paragraph in the article at:  http://www.svu2000.org/cs-america/for-czechoslovakia/

        I found many references to the C.N.S. translated as both the Czech National Alliance and the Czech National Association.  I'm not sure why Miloslav and many others chose to translate  "sdruzeni" as "Alliance" instead of  "Association."  Perhaps that was an acceptable alternate translation during World War I when the C.N.S. was active.  To me, "Alliance" sounds a bit better.

        The "Ceske narodni sdruzeni," or "Czech National Alliance (C.N.S.)," was formed by Czech-Americans in Chicago,Illinois in the early days of World War I.  The main purpose of the C.N.S.was to raise funds to aid the European Czechs and Slovaks in their struggle for independence, which was deemed to be achievable after the probable defeat of the Austro-Hungarian Empire at the end of World War I.  The C.N.S. was a temporary organization that had about 350 branches throughout the United States that collectively raised a very large amount of money.  The numerous branches in Texas raised about $60,000.  A history of Č.N.S. efforts in Texas (in Czech), including a list of the various Texas branches, can be found in the commemorative Č.N.S. "Pamatnik" album.  This album, published in 1920 and written entirely in Czech, can be accessed using an internet search for "Pamatnik Project."  This album can also be viewed at many libraries in Texas.

        C.N.S. branches were formed at both Shiner and nearby Vlastenec in Lavaca County.  Vlastenec was a farming area with many Czech families that was centered about four miles southwest of Shiner.

        Mike Hejl

        --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "jbucek2001" <jbucek2001@...> wrote:

        > What does the "S." mean in Odbocka C.N.S. v Shiner Texas? This organization was a branch of the Czech National Society.
        > Thanks!
        > Janie Bucek

      • jbucek2001
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2012