Meringue recipe

  • Allen Livanec
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 26, 2012
      Is there a secret to making meringue? My meringue always goes flat.

      The Argo recipe is:

      5 egg whites
      1/2 cup sugar
      2 tsp Argo Corn Starch

      Beat egg whites at high speed until soft peeks form. Gradually add sugar & corn
      starch.

      Allen Livanec
      Pearland, TX.
    • Cindy Neal
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 26, 2012
        The only secrets I have are to have the eggs at room temperature and always use a glass or metal bowl (no plastic).

        Cindy

        Sent: Monday, November 26, 2012 2:21 PM
        Subject: [TexasCzechs] Meringue recipe

        Is there a secret to making meringue? My meringue always goes flat.

        The Argo recipe is:

        5 egg whites
        1/2 cup sugar
        2 tsp Argo Corn Starch

        Beat egg whites at high speed until soft peeks form. Gradually add sugar & corn
        starch.

        Allen Livanec
        Pearland, TX.

        No virus found in this message.

      • Julie Matus
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 26, 2012
          I always use the Betty Crocker recipe.

          3 egg whites
          1/4 tsp cream of tartar
          6 tablespoons sugar
          1/2 tsp vanilla

          Julie

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 26, 2012

            Myrna says make sure there is not any grease or oil on the Bowl or the Beaters.

             The Meringue does best on a Sun shinny Day, not a Humid Day.

            That might be a sight problem when living in Pearland.

            TJ

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 26, 2012
              I think that is too much sugar. Almost like divinity candy. Try cutting your sugar in half or less. I also use a little cream of tartar (which would cut any grease that may accidently  be in the bowl or on the beaters) instead of corn starch. Lemon meringure pies are in season now. ;-)
              Louise Browning

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 26, 2012
                corn starch?  never heard of using corn starch..  egg whites at room temperture and perfectly clean bowl and beaters.  add 1/4t cream of tartar, then start slowly adding the sugar when you are near the 'soft peaks' stage.  after that it's just patience until the 'stiff, dry peaks' stage.