RE: [TexasCzechs] Fwd: Czechoslovakia

  • t j slansky
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2012

      The word for Moravia in German is Mahren with two (2) “..” above the “a”

      Silesia at the time in 1880 was a separate province which was part of Germany . After WWI the southern part became part of north-eastern Moravia and the northern part of Silesia became part of Poland .

      I found a number of records the persons list they came from Bohemia , Moravia , Austria and Czechoslovakia and some list Mahren. The problem is Czechoslovakia did not come about until after WW I in 1918.

      Today, many persons when you speak of the Czech Republic they will still refer it to the old name as Czechoslovakia, which became to separate country in  Jan., 1993.

      TJ

    • Allen Livanec
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 2012
         The Czech word for Moravia is Morava.

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 2, 2012
          Mahren is the German word which designates the Moravian part of the
          Czech lands. Silesia is the northern part of Moravia and it extends into
          what is now Poland. The German word for Bohemia is Böhmen.

          Hope this helps.

          Greg Stone
          Researching: Halamíček, Baroň, Kubiš, Koňařik
        • robert trampota
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 2, 2012

              Dobry den,

            Dekuji pro informace on Moravia.  Leroy Janda would like to have a flyer of the
            state CHS mtg. sent to him.  Would you please  e-mail him one--I sometimes
            mess up on forwarding items.  Dekuji moc,  Robert

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 2, 2012
              Maehren is the German name for Moravia, the eastern province of the Czech Republic. Silesia is a region in the northeastern part of Moravia.

            • salvarez4@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 2, 2012

                A big thanks to everyone