Fwd: Chechoslovakia

  • salvarez4@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2012

      From: "Grandma Yesiam" <grandma@...>
      To: salvarez4@...
      Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 9:35:54 PM
      Subject: Chechoslovakia

      Do you know whether Maelmen or Maehren is in Chechoslovakia?

      I am trying to transcribe the 1880 Austin County Census and found one spelling near “Schlesing”, which I interpret as  Silesia in Chechoslovakia.    Could find nothing related to the two M words above which are two spellings I found in A.Com and  also thought might be possible interpretations.

      Any help you can give would be appreciated.

    • Roland Beausoleil
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2012

        Hi Grandma,

            I'm pretty sure that Maehren is Czech for Moravia which is one of the 2 provinces? of Czechoslovakia, the other being Bohemia. (Note - I'm not sure if Moravia and Bohemia are called provinces or something else).

                Beau

        Do you know whether Maelmen or Maehren is in Chechoslovakia?

        I am trying to transcribe the 1880 Austin County Census and found one spelling near “Schlesing”, which I interpret as  Silesia in Chechoslovakia.    Could find nothing related to the two M words above which are two spellings I found in A.Com and  also thought might be possible interpretations.

        Any help you can give would be appreciated.

      • Joe Janecka
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2012

          Hi Beau

          The Czech promunciation for Moravia  is "Morava"

          Joe

              I'm pretty sure that Maehren is Czech for Moravia which is one of the 2 provinces? of Czechoslovakia, the other being Bohemia. (Note - I'm not sure if Moravia and Bohemia are called provinces or something else).

                  Beau

          Do you know whether Maelmen or Maehren is in Chechoslovakia?

          I am trying to transcribe the 1880 Austin County Census and found one spelling near “Schlesing”, which I interpret as  Silesia in Chechoslovakia.    Could find nothing related to the two M words above which are two spellings I found in A.Com and  also thought might be possible interpretations.

          Any help you can give would be appreciated.

        • Allen Livanec
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 1, 2012
             Mahren or if you like Maehren is German for Moravia.

            Do you know whether Maelmen or Maehren is in Chechoslovakia?

            I am trying to transcribe the 1880 Austin County Census and found one spelling near “Schlesing”, which I interpret as  Silesia in Chechoslovakia.    Could find nothing related to the two M words above which are two spellings I found in A.Com and  also thought might be possible interpretations.

            Any help you can give would be appreciated.

          • t j slansky
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 1, 2012

              The word for Moravia in German is Mahren with two (2) “..” above the “a”

              Silesia at the time in 1880 was a separate province which was part of Germany . After WWI the southern part became part of north-eastern Moravia and the northern part of Silesia became part of Poland .

              I found a number of records the persons list they came from Bohemia , Moravia , Austria and Czechoslovakia and some list Mahren. The problem is Czechoslovakia did not come about until after WW I in 1918.

              Today, many persons when you speak of the Czech Republic they will still refer it to the old name as Czechoslovakia, which became to separate country in  Jan., 1993.

              TJ

            • Allen Livanec
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 2, 2012
                 The Czech word for Moravia is Morava.

                    I'm pretty sure that Maehren is Czech for Moravia which is one of the 2 provinces? of Czechoslovakia, the other being Bohemia. (Note - I'm not sure if Moravia and Bohemia are called provinces or something else).

                        Beau

                Do you know whether Maelmen or Maehren is in Chechoslovakia?

                I am trying to transcribe the 1880 Austin County Census and found one spelling near “Schlesing”, which I interpret as  Silesia in Chechoslovakia.    Could find nothing related to the two M words above which are two spellings I found in A.Com and  also thought might be possible interpretations.

                Any help you can give would be appreciated.

              • Greg Stone
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 2, 2012
                  Mahren is the German word which designates the Moravian part of the
                  Czech lands. Silesia is the northern part of Moravia and it extends into
                  what is now Poland. The German word for Bohemia is Böhmen.

                  Hope this helps.

                  Greg Stone
                  Researching: Halamíček, Baroň, Kubiš, Koňařik
                • robert trampota
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 2, 2012

                      Dobry den,

                    Dekuji pro informace on Moravia.  Leroy Janda would like to have a flyer of the
                    state CHS mtg. sent to him.  Would you please  e-mail him one--I sometimes
                    mess up on forwarding items.  Dekuji moc,  Robert

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 2, 2012
                      Maehren is the German name for Moravia, the eastern province of the Czech Republic. Silesia is a region in the northeastern part of Moravia.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 2, 2012

                        A big thanks to everyone