Re: Fw: Website

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2012
      Melissa, Madelyn, Steve, and Moderators,

      I did some checking myself of Melissa's new website. With my
      Firefox-based ad blocker (Adblock Plus) turned off, a couple of ad-type
      links did appear at the bottom of the page (provided by something called
      AdChoices). Reloading the website several times revealed that the
      ad-type links usually change and the change appears to be random. Being
      small and at the very bottom of the page and not flashing or anything, I
      hardly noticed them. When I turned on my browser's optional ad blocker,
      the ad-type links disappeared.

      Although I am not a moderator of this group, like Steve I have belonged
      to the TexasCzechs and to the CHS for a long time. To me, what Melissa
      is attempting to do with her new website appears to be commendable and
      should be of interest to many Texas Czechs, provided the accompanying
      but unobtrusive ad links are not an overriding turn-off. For those
      possibly bothered by the ad links, I would suggest that you simply
      ignore them or as a last resort, simply chose to not visit Melissa's
      website.

      In the distant past, several individuals started-up websites addressing
      Texas Czechs that eventually became inactive or outdated. Melissa is
      sort of following in their footsteps and I wish her success and
      sticktoittiveness.

      Mike Hejl (also part Dusek) - Fort Worth

      --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Eckhoff
      <melissa_eckhoff@...> wrote:

> [...]
      political ad on purpose on the website. I have no idea how to change
      it- it may change by the end of the day.

      > On Oct 2, 2012, at 12:55 PM, madelyn mdusek@... wrote:
      >
      > > Melissa,
      > > I just visited your website... at least I think that it is yours???
      The one with this URL: http://www.czechsoftexas.com Anyway, I read
      your emails with Steve A and decided to look. I saw only two ads... one
      for Mitt Romney and one for Public Arrest Records. Now, I am truly
      confused. He said that your website was filled with ads and I only saw
      two.

      > > Anyway, does the possible election of Mitt Romney have anything to
      do with Texas Czechs? I don't see the connection. However, this may
      not be your website. Just wondering. I will have to visit again after
      the election.

      > > Madelyn Dusek

    • Nan
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2012

        A person doesn ‘t need to fill their websites or FB page with ads.  The web does that for you no matter what you do to try to prevent it.  My FB page is constantly filled on the right side with ads. I keep clicking them off and they keep renewing themselves. It never stops.  It’s probably the same with Melissa’s website.  No matter where you go on the web, there are ads.

        Nan

      • salvarez4@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 4, 2012

          Very well said Mke and as Nan mentioned Facebook will place ads itself, this why if you check my email, I asked if it was Facbook or her.  Also as I stated there is nothing wrong in what she is doing.  I was just

          curious. I myself would hate to see people mirgating to her site and start posting messages there instead of to the group.  Only because "to me"  that would be the beginning of the end of the Texas Czech Group.

          thanks

          steve

        • salvarez4@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 4, 2012
            Just to keep the record straight, this is what I said:  "

            "Just curious, I notice all the ads on the site. Do you make money from those ads or is that part of the "free" for using the site."

            I did not say it was full of ads, of couse it could be a of matter  interpretation.

            And it defense of Melissa, if Facebook is placing ads on her site, she has no control if they put political ads on it.

            steve

            That is my website.  The ads are totally random.  I would NEVER put a political ad on purpose on the website.  I have no idea how to change it- it may change by the end of the day.

            On Oct 2, 2012, at 12:55 PM, madelyn <mdusek@...> wrote:

            > Melissa,
            > I just visited your website... at least I think that it is yours???  The one with this URL: http://www.czechsoftexas.com.  Anyway, I read your emails with Steve A and decided to look. I saw only two ads... one for Mitt Romney and one for Public Arrest Records.  Now, I am truly confused.  He said that your website was filled with ads and I only saw two.
            >
            > Anyway, does the possible election of Mitt Romney have anything to do with Texas Czechs?  I don't see the connection.  However, this may not be your website. Just wondering.  I will have to visit again after the election.
            >
            > Madelyn Dusek

          • chswebmaster2002
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 4, 2012

              For the folks who have been confused about this conversation, Melissa's website at http://www.czechsoftexas.com does not have any popups.  There are rolling ads across the bottom of the page that I never even noticed until this conversation started.  They change randomly.  This is her official website, which does not make money from.  She has provided a great resource for our genealogy research, where she has photos, cemetery records, obituaries, etc.

              Her Facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/CzechsOfTexas has ads, because Facebook puts them there.  This is her personal page, with announcements of changes to her webpage.

              If you look at our official Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/Czech-Heritage-Society-of-Texas you will also find ads.  This is the price we pay for having our society "plugged" in the social network.

              Cindy

            • t j slansky
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 4, 2012

                Steve,

                It is nice to see you name again lately.  It has been years since you were active.

                TJ