Fw: Website

  • Melissa Eckhoff
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2012

      ----- Forwarded Message -----
      From: Melissa Eckhoff <melissa_eckhoff@...>
      To: madelyn <mdusek@...>
      Sent: Tuesday, October 2, 2012 12:59 PM
      Subject: Re: Website

      Madelyn,

      That is my website.  The ads are totally random.  I would NEVER put a political ad on purpose on the website.  I have no idea how to change it- it may change by the end of the day.

      On Oct 2, 2012, at 12:55 PM, madelyn <mdusek@...> wrote:

      > Melissa,
      > I just visited your website... at least I think that it is yours???  The one with this URL: http://www.czechsoftexas.com.  Anyway, I read your emails with Steve A and decided to look. I saw only two ads... one for Mitt Romney and one for Public Arrest Records.  Now, I am truly confused.  He said that your website was filled with ads and I only saw two.
      >
      > Anyway, does the possible election of Mitt Romney have anything to do with Texas Czechs?  I don't see the connection.  However, this may not be your website. Just wondering.  I will have to visit again after the election.
      >
      > Madelyn Dusek

    • Mike
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2012
        Melissa, Madelyn, Steve, and Moderators,

        I did some checking myself of Melissa's new website. With my
        Firefox-based ad blocker (Adblock Plus) turned off, a couple of ad-type
        links did appear at the bottom of the page (provided by something called
        AdChoices). Reloading the website several times revealed that the
        ad-type links usually change and the change appears to be random. Being
        small and at the very bottom of the page and not flashing or anything, I
        hardly noticed them. When I turned on my browser's optional ad blocker,
        the ad-type links disappeared.

        Although I am not a moderator of this group, like Steve I have belonged
        to the TexasCzechs and to the CHS for a long time. To me, what Melissa
        is attempting to do with her new website appears to be commendable and
        should be of interest to many Texas Czechs, provided the accompanying
        but unobtrusive ad links are not an overriding turn-off. For those
        possibly bothered by the ad links, I would suggest that you simply
        ignore them or as a last resort, simply chose to not visit Melissa's
        website.

        In the distant past, several individuals started-up websites addressing
        Texas Czechs that eventually became inactive or outdated. Melissa is
        sort of following in their footsteps and I wish her success and
        sticktoittiveness.

        Mike Hejl (also part Dusek) - Fort Worth

        --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Eckhoff

> [...]
      • Nan
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2012

          A person doesn ‘t need to fill their websites or FB page with ads.  The web does that for you no matter what you do to try to prevent it.  My FB page is constantly filled on the right side with ads. I keep clicking them off and they keep renewing themselves. It never stops.  It’s probably the same with Melissa’s website.  No matter where you go on the web, there are ads.

          Nan

        • salvarez4@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 4, 2012

            Very well said Mke and as Nan mentioned Facebook will place ads itself, this why if you check my email, I asked if it was Facbook or her.  Also as I stated there is nothing wrong in what she is doing.  I was just

            curious. I myself would hate to see people mirgating to her site and start posting messages there instead of to the group.  Only because "to me"  that would be the beginning of the end of the Texas Czech Group.

            thanks

            steve

          • salvarez4@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 4, 2012
              Just to keep the record straight, this is what I said:  "

              "Just curious, I notice all the ads on the site. Do you make money from those ads or is that part of the "free" for using the site."

              I did not say it was full of ads, of couse it could be a of matter  interpretation.

              And it defense of Melissa, if Facebook is placing ads on her site, she has no control if they put political ads on it.

              steve

              That is my website.  The ads are totally random.  I would NEVER put a political ad on purpose on the website.  I have no idea how to change it- it may change by the end of the day.

              On Oct 2, 2012, at 12:55 PM, madelyn <mdusek@...> wrote:

              > Melissa,
              > I just visited your website... at least I think that it is yours???  The one with this URL: http://www.czechsoftexas.com.  Anyway, I read your emails with Steve A and decided to look. I saw only two ads... one for Mitt Romney and one for Public Arrest Records.  Now, I am truly confused.  He said that your website was filled with ads and I only saw two.
              >
              > Anyway, does the possible election of Mitt Romney have anything to do with Texas Czechs?  I don't see the connection.  However, this may not be your website. Just wondering.  I will have to visit again after the election.
              >
              > Madelyn Dusek

            • chswebmaster2002
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 4, 2012

                For the folks who have been confused about this conversation, Melissa's website at http://www.czechsoftexas.com does not have any popups.  There are rolling ads across the bottom of the page that I never even noticed until this conversation started.  They change randomly.  This is her official website, which does not make money from.  She has provided a great resource for our genealogy research, where she has photos, cemetery records, obituaries, etc.

                Her Facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/CzechsOfTexas has ads, because Facebook puts them there.  This is her personal page, with announcements of changes to her webpage.

                If you look at our official Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/Czech-Heritage-Society-of-Texas you will also find ads.  This is the price we pay for having our society "plugged" in the social network.

                Cindy

              • t j slansky
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 4, 2012

                  Steve,

                  It is nice to see you name again lately.  It has been years since you were active.

                  TJ