Update: CzechsofTexas Website

  • Melissa Eckhoff
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2012
      Hello all,

      I have just posted 19 "Obituary Match-Ups". What is an "Obituary Match-Up"? It is where I have matched an obituary, picture of the person, and their tombstone. I hope it helps with some of your research. You will find these obituaries in the "Newly Added" section of the website, near the bottom.

      www.czechsoftexas.com

      Thanks!

      Melissa Eckhoff
    • Lydia Mousner
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2012
        Thanks, Melissa!!

      • salvarez4@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2012

          Melissa

          Just curious, I notice all the ads on the site.   Do you make money from those ads or is that part of the "free" for using the site.

          thanks

          steve

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2012
            Thank you for bringing to my attention that there were more ads being presented than should have been (I assume that's what you were bringing to my attention, otherwise, please be more specific).

            I found a coding mistake that was presenting multiple levels, when there should have only been one or two.

            The ads on my website only help to offset a small portion of hosting fees, as the hosting, storage, and data usage for a website with a large number of images (and growing) can become expensive.  There is not even revenue left to apply to travel expenses associated with gathering all of this information personally from cemeteries throughout Texas.  Anything from ads goes directly back into the website.

            I see no point in which revenue from ads will ever exceed expenses and at no time plan to turn a profit and am continuing to experiment with placement to ensure that they do not disrupt the flow of the website.

            For anyone that has issues with ads, there are a number of applications that do an excellent job in blocking ads for all major web browsers.

            This website is strictly to bring together people of Czech Heritage to share information and communicate with one another.  Over time, I will incorporate even more functionality into the site to further enhance communication, which in turn, further increases expenses.

            If you have any concerns, please email me directly.

            Thank you,

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 2, 2012

              Melissa

              I have been with the group since about it's beginning and you must excuse me if I am protective of the group.  I just wanted to make sure I and others understand the propose of the ads. I know people can be paid for the "Hits" they get on a website. And when you came out of nowhere with a website with ads,  it caused me concern.   I am not saying you are doing anything wrong, its just they have the right to know.

              When it comes to commuication concerning the group, I never post directly,  I like things up front and in the open.

              thanks

              steve