Military Records

  • Cindy Bolinger
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 17, 2001
      I've been communicating with a Kovar descendent, and trying to encourage him
      to join our list. He wants to know if there is a list of Czechs in the
      military. Anybody know of a link to give him? Thanks.

      Cindy B.
    • Kathy Horak Smith
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 18, 2001
        There was a book published within the last few years on veterans of Czech
        Heritage. My mother has the book, but she's out-of-town today. I'll get the
        name from her and respond later.

        Kathy
        > I've been communicating with a Kovar descendent, and trying to encourage
        him
        > to join our list. He wants to know if there is a list of Czechs in the
        > military. Anybody know of a link to give him? Thanks.
        >
        > Cindy B.

      • Lois Petter Pereira
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 18, 2001
          It's probably the same book that the CHS sells........lois

          Kathy Horak Smith wrote:

          > There was a book published within the last few years on veterans of Czech
          > Heritage. My mother has the book, but she's out-of-town today. I'll get the
          > name from her and respond later.
          >
          > Kathy

          Lois Petter Pereira
          Researching Ahlhorn, Bokemeyer, Brdusik, Bruntrig, Cordes, Filges, Francis,
          Garney, Gebauer, Hadac, Hadash, Halla, Hauser, Hoelschel, Kaskie, Maciejewski,
          Manak, Nauger, Ollre, Orsag, Orsak, Otjen, Papiz, Pavlik, Pereira, Petter,
          Polasek, Pratka, Psencik, Rada, Rohan, Sablatura, Schaub, Schroeder, Slovack,
          Susil, Tiemann, Urban, Weiser. Home Page: http://ourczech.homestead.com/
        • capmoment
          Message 4 of 10 , May 24, 2007
            Saw on Yahoo News that from now until June 6, 2007 you can search military records on
            Ancestry.com for free.
          • Janecek
            Message 5 of 10 , May 25, 2007

              Hi Cousins and Others

              All records for Texas are at the Confererate Museum at Hill College at Hillsboro, Texas.

              I found my Great Grandfather Bernhardt Berchenhoff's record there.

              I do not know if they have the home guard records there but the Texas Historical Library at Austin has a card file.  I found one on Bernhardt and his brother August.

              There is an interesting chapter in the book Czech Voices.  This is about a group of draft dodgers who went to Bagdad, Mexico below Brownsville to avoid conscription in the Conferderate army.  Among them is my Great Great Uncle Joseph Hajek, the brother of my Great Grandmother Terezie (Hajek) Berchenhoff.

              I was born in the house where my Great Grandmother Terezie (Hajek) Berchenhoff died at Charco (Goliad), Texas.  She stayed with my Grandmother Mary Janecek after Bernhardt died.  She is buried with Bernhardt in Shiner.  My Grandfather Henry Janecek bought the house and farm in 1906.  There was Texas Czech migration from the Praha area to the Runge area in Karnes County in 1906,  Runge is 12  miles North of Charco.  I lived in the house with my parents, Joe and Angela (Grafe) Janecek and my brother Marvin until 1955 when the family sold the farm.  The house still exist but was moved to the property just North of the farm.

              Greetings to all.
              P. Fred Janecek
              HeavenlyPatron St . Frederick, Bishop of Utrecht , Martyred by the Frishians, July 18, 838)

              Rev. Father Frederick J. JaneČek
              MA, MSW, ACSW, BCD, DCSW, LCSW, LMFT
              ORTHODOX CHURCH INAMERICA (OCA)

              Website: http:// www.oca.org
              5929 Mayhill Drive
              Madison, WI 53711-4121
              Telephone: (608) 273-2957
               Cell phone:  (608)  628 -6910
              Email:  janecekwi@...

               Attached to:

              SS. Cyril & Methodius Orthodox Church

              Milwaukee, WI

            • miladyolga@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , May 25, 2007
                Enjoyed your article.

                Why there was a migration of Czechs from the Praha area to the Runge area in Karnes City in 1906.  I have distant relatives that moved to Karnes City about that time period.   I never understood why that one brother took his family and moved away from the other brothers.  I think you may have the answer for me.

                Debra

                See what's free at AOL.com.
              • Janecek
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 1, 2007
                  Hi Debra

                  I do not know the answer.  But there was probably some real estate promoting to the Karnes County area in about 1906, targeted at the Czechs and Germans  in Lavaca and Fayette Counties.  There were groups of  families looking for new oportunities.  There might be some on this list who might remember family accounts about this migration.

                  P. Fred
                  Why there was a migration of Czechs from the Praha area to the Runge area in Karnes City in 1906.  I have distant relatives that moved to Karnes City about that time period.   I never understood why that one brother took his family and moved away from the other brothers.  I think you may have the answer for me.

                  Debra

                  See what's free at AOL.com.

                • paulasmaggie
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 2, 2007
                    --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Cindy Bolinger <caboling@...>
                    wrote:

                    > I've been communicating with a Kovar descendent, and trying to
                    encourage him
                    > to join our list. He wants to know if there is a list of Czechs in
                    the
                    > military. Anybody know of a link to give him? Thanks.
                    >
                    > Cindy B.

                    Cindy If you can get a few names with births plus counties if
                    possible, I would be glad to do a look-up for you. paulasmaggie

                  • texasjoe43
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 2, 2007
                      There is a book he might be interested in:
                      Texas Veterans of Czech Ancestry by the Czech Heritage Society of
                      Texas.
                      Copies are available from Amazon.com or from the Czech Heritage
                      Society of Texas: http://www.czechheritage.org/

                      --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "paulasmaggie" <pfosterbmt@...>
                      wrote:

                      > --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Cindy Bolinger <caboling@>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I've been communicating with a Kovar descendent, and trying to
                      > encourage him
                      > > to join our list. He wants to know if there is a list of Czechs
                      in
                      > the
                      > > military. Anybody know of a link to give him? Thanks.
                      > >
                      > > Cindy B.
                      >
                      > Cindy If you can get a few names with births plus counties if
                      > possible, I would be glad to do a look-up for you. paulasmaggie

                    • Myrna Garrison
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 4, 2007

                        Hi Debra,

                        I would be interested in the answer if you find out.  My family came about the same time.

                        My dad, Raymond Jalufka's father (Joe Jalufka) came to Karnes County.  We never did know why, but none of his brothers were in the area.  Never knew any of the family on that side.

                        Thank you,

                        Myrna (Jalufka) Garrison
                        Researching: Jaluvka, Olsovsky, Stavinoha, Atkinson, Holland, Taylor, Powhatten, Hamilton

                        From: "Janecek" <janecekwi@...>
                        To: <TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com>
                        Subject: RE: [TexasCzechs] Czech Migration to Karnes County about 1906f
                        Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 21:38:57 -0500

                        Hi Debra

                        I do not know the answer.  But there was probably some real estate promoting to the Karnes County area in about 1906, targeted at the Czechs and Germans  in Lavaca and Fayette Counties.  There were groups of  families looking for new oportunities.  There might be some on this list who might remember family accounts about this migration.

                        P. Fred
                        Why there was a migration of Czechs from the Praha area to the Runge area in Karnes City in 1906.  I have distant relatives that moved to Karnes City about that time period.   I never understood why that one brother took his family and moved away from the other brothers.  I think you may have the answer for me.

                        Debra

                        See what's free at AOL.com.

                        Make every IM count. Download Messenger and join the i�m Initiative now. It�s free.