Re: John Ermis, nearby neighbor of Frank and Annie Bacak in 1900 (Elk, McLennan Co.)

  • vmichna
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2012
      The 1890 census was destroyed in a fire. There are a few remnants from what online records I have seen, but not in the locals I am interested in. The 1890 census would have been useful for many of us since many of our families were either recent immigrants or moving from one area to another.

      Have you tried looking at deed records or other county records? This may shed some light on your search. Some may be online or free, but some are still stuck in a room in a county courthouse. One of the most useful county record I found was called an "affidavit of heirship" that literally described a person's heirs as well as the person providing the info. A lot of times the informant was a person who had known the family for a long time. Informant may have been from the old country also.

      Valorie