can someone read this page on matriky cz

  • Lois Petter Pereira
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 30, 2012
      I am trying to learn to read this. Can someone translate this one page. Look at house 147, thanks in advance..lois

      Lois Petter Pereira
    • Robert and Nancy
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 30, 2012
        Lois,

        The child, Mariana was born on December 8, 1831 and baptized on the 10th.  I can't make out the priests first name, but the last name is Skrobanek.  There is a notation under Mariana's name that she died on 8 Oct 1903.  The midwife was Mariana Wassku of House #159.

        Mariana's father was Paul Orsak, bauer.  Her mother was Mariana, daughter of Georg Orsak, bauer.

        I can't make out the last name of the godparents, but their first names are Paul and Rosina and he was also a bauer.

        Hope this helps!
        Nancy Schmidt

        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 30, 2012
          Lois,

          I can get some of it. The handwriting of some priests can be challenging, especially as on goes further back in yeears.

          Going across Born 08 november 1831, baptized 10 november 1831
          Born at house # 147 [probably but not necessarily her parents' residence]
          Her name Marianna
          Her death date was annotated later; it was 08 october 1903

          [Not quite age 72 and possibly died in same village; most likely a marriage (begin ~1848) and death record for her there, maybe a record where she is mother possibly starting ~1848]

          Her Father: Paul [Pavel] Orzak [unclear occupation or status]
          Her Mother: Marianna, daughter of the late George [Jiři] Orzak [also unclear occupation or status]

          Her Godparents: Paul & [remainder unclear].
          Vicar/baptizer: [unclear]

          Sorry I can't do more initially - need more time and examples of the priest's handwriting to decipher what is unclear - but this should help a bit.

          Pavel

          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 30, 2012
            Nancy,

            Glad you were able to read a few words I missed.

            I'm sure you know, but for those out there who may not, "bauer" is a German word meaning farmer or peasant.

            Paul

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 31, 2012

              The first name of the priest is Melchiond or something that starts with Melchi and ends with “d”.  I believe the godparents are Paul Mrazek and his wife, Rosina.

            • Lois Petter Pereira
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 31, 2012
                Thanks so much. I found several relatives but this one I had trouble with the mom's name. She is part of my family. Thanks so much....lois

                Lois Petter Pereira

                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 31, 2012
                  thanks. I am getting serious with the opava research. I am starting with the earliest volume and working back. Thanks.

                  Lois Petter Pereira

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 31, 2012
                    Lois,

                    Quick suggestion, if I may.  If you are looking for relatives, begin with the most recent volumes and work back to the older ones.  You might be spending time finding information about people who had the same last name but are not related and there may be additional relative last names found in birth and marriage records that you might not yet know to seek in the older tomes.

                    Pavel

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 31, 2012
                      Thanks, it all helps me

                      Lois Petter Pereira

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 31, 2012
                        That is exactly what my cousin TJ Slansky told me to do. It helps to get used to the writing. I am in Vol 15 now. Can you answer why some of the house numbers show 2 different ones? lois

                        Lois Petter Pereira

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 31, 2012

                          One instance might be in a marriage record, it might show the house number of the groom and the house number of the bride.  If you find 2 house numbers in a birth or death record, send in the link to the book and let us look at it and see if anyone can figure out why there are two house numbers.

                          Nancy Schmidt

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 31, 2012
                            I Am in Vol 15 the pages I will put will be the actual page to type in
                            pg 2 house 427/216 Paul Orsag wed Marketa Zapalac house 369

                            and one more example
                            pg 3 house 375/386 Vinc Orsag wed Rosina Orsag house 326

                            Lois Petter Pereira

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 31, 2012

                              Lois,

                              Can't argue against spending some time getting used to some of the "penmanship".

                              The house numbers change for different reasons.  The Mother may have given birth at the home of a relative or friend, some parents have their first birth - but not others -  while living with his or her parents, some families move from one cottage to another, atd. But the house number is where the birth took place.

                              Also, in the late 1800s-early 1900s, throughout Europe, there was a change in house numbering systems. (A similar change happened in the US between WWI and WWII.) Some of the smaller villages did not see numbering changes, but most of the cities did. But that would not be reflected in on-line archives, most of which stop before 1900 and only a few reach the 1930s-40s.

                              The house number is a good place to start to find ancestors, especially when the priests' handwriting could frustrate pharmacists (or resembles my first draught manuscripts), but complete reliance on it will undoubtly lead to missing some ancestor or ancestor sibling along the way.

                              Pavel

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 31, 2012
                                Lois,

                                Clearly from my last reply, I misunderstood your question. Hopefully, some of what I wrote will be of use as you continue your research.

                                Typically, the upper number is the home of the groom and the lower number is the home of the bride. (I have seen some marriage records where the home addresses are in separate columns by the resepctive bride and groom.) In some cases, there may be a town/village name with the number, indicating that the respective party is from a different village. {Keep an eye there, the bride may have moved to that village after the marriage.}

                                Pavel

                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 1, 2012
                                  it all is a help. thanks

                                  Lois Petter Pereira