RE: [TexasCzechs] Re: Digest Number 5430

  • Nan
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 4, 2012

      I’ve been doing some reading about the Hatfield and McCoy feud online.  In the articles, there are many original newspaper articles from the local newspapers there.  They were just as graphic, pointing out the details of the murders and the reporters accounts as being  “thrilling” and “spectacular”.  I was reading the details and thinking it was like National Enquirer and getting grossed out.  I guess that they got their thrills by reading about sensationalized stories-the truth be damned.  If you read the old newspapers of the 1800’s and early 20th century, you will see the same type of “reporting” no matter what state or county you are reading about. So many papers are on the internet now and it will make your mouth drop to read them.  If they didn’t have any news that week, they would simply talk about who was in town, going out of town and speculate what they were going to do while in the place they were visiting.LOL

      Nan

      I totally agree.

      I have been a member of this group for years, but I just read and lurk in the background most of the time.  They had some way of reporting the news way back when. The most morbid one I have read is about a fire in which it was stated that "the infant was burned to a crisp".... Description: Image removed by sender. :( .. Yikes.

      Nancy from San Antonio - born and raised in Taylor Tx.

      --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Patricia Elleven <pat.elleven@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > Pat
      >

      > > 1. obit: Charles Kohutek
      > >
      > > Charles Kohutek, the 9-year-old son of Adam Kohutek, a prominent merchant and farmer of Thomaston, DeWitt county, was accidentally killed the discharge of pistol yesterday evening.
      > > Victoria Daily Advocate, Wednesday, September 1, 1915
      > >

      > > 2. obit: John Krajca
      > > Ennis, Texas, Jan. 1.-- John Krajca, a Bohemian, about 33 years of age, and leaving a widow and three small children, died at 5:30 o'clock this morning as a result of a blow over the head with a revolver received at 9:30 o'clock last night.
      > > Dallas Morning News, January 2, 1911
      >
      > > 3. obit: John Krataska
      > > Posted by: "Rosemary Ermis" roseermis@... rose.ermis
      > > Date: Wed May 23, 2012 3:39 pm ((PDT))
      > >
      > > Ennis, Tex., March 14.--
      >
      > > The verdict was that the dead man came to his death by a shot from a target rifle fired by his own hand with suicidal intent. The rifle was found beside the body. The officers are of the opinion that the man had been dead for a week, as the body was badly decomposed.
      > > Dallas Morning News, March 15, 1911
      >

      > > 4. obit: John Kratky
      > > AGED COUNTY EMPLOYE DIES
      > >
      > > KRATKY ENDS 45 YEARS OF SERVICE
      > >
      > > Harris County lost one of its oldest employes today when death came to John Kractky, 76, of Crosby.
      > >
      > > Kratky, a native of Czechoslovakia, had been employed continuously by Harris County in Precinct 2 since 1906.
      > >
      > > Giving an account of his life a few years ago, Kratky said he was a farmer in Czechoslovakia and according to the law of the country he worked one day a week without pay to maintain the roads in his community.
      > >
      > > His brother-in-law who had lived in Texas returned to Czechoslovakia with stories of the vast prairies of the Lone Star State and an unbelievable report that citizens of this country were paid to work on the roads.
      > >
      > > Kratky decided to come to Texas to see for himself, he said.
      >

      > > 5. obit: John Krauskopf
      > >
      > > YOAKUM, Texas, Jan. 2.-- John Krauskopf, 73, farmer, was killed Thursday night on the Yoakum-Hallettsville highway near this city when he was hit by an automobile driven by Gus Straus of Hallettsville.
      > > Dallas Morning News, January 3, 1931
      > >

      > > 7a. obit: John Kubena
      > >
      > > WEIMAR -- John Kubena, a farmer living a few miles north of this place, was frozen to death last Saturday night. He laid down in the road while on the way home and when found was dead.
      > > Fort Worth Star-Telegram, November 19, 1908
      >

      > > 9. obit: John Kutach
      > > Posted by: "Rosemary Ermis" roseermis@... rose.ermis
      > > Date: Wed May 23, 2012 3:42 pm ((PDT))
      > >
      > > Shiner, Tex., Sept. 30.-- John Kutach, a young man about 24 years old, was found dead this evening about two miles from town. He had been to town and is supposed to have died from sunstroke.

    • nancydajoo
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 7, 2012

        Nan - I am called Nan also.

        The hatfield & mccoy series on the history channel was pretty good.

        Of course, they were Irish I suppose.  My folks had not even immigrated from

        Moravia at that point in time.

        I just didn't think think the news reports were so graphic way back then.

        I guess I will try to czech out the old news reports on the hatfields & mccoys..

        do you have a link??

        Thanks!

        Nancy

        p.s. does anyone know if the Charles Kretschmar (sp?) that posts on here is the same Charles that was a choir/music teacher in the 1970's in Taylor Tx?????

        --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Nan" <nangotoo@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > >

        > > > 5. obit: John Krauskopf
        > > >
        > > > YOAKUM, Texas, Jan. 2.-- John Krauskopf, 73, farmer, was killed Thursday
        > night on the Yoakum-Hallettsville highway near this city when he was hit by
        > an automobile driven by Gus Straus of Hallettsville.
        > > > Dallas Morning News, January 3, 1931
        > > >

        > > > 7a. obit: John Kubena
        > > >
        > > > WEIMAR -- John Kubena, a farmer living a few miles north of this place,
        > was frozen to death last Saturday night. He laid down in the road while on
        > the way home and when found was dead.
        > > > Fort Worth Star-Telegram, November 19, 1908
        > >

        > > > 9. obit: John Kutach
        > > > Posted by: "Rosemary Ermis" roseermis@ rose.ermis
        > > > Date: Wed May 23, 2012 3:42 pm ((PDT))
        > > >
        > > > Shiner, Tex., Sept. 30.-- John Kutach, a young man about 24 years old,
        > was found dead this evening about two miles from town. He had been to town
        > and is supposed to have died from sunstroke.

      • Paul Kurecka
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 7, 2012
          Nan,

          What part of Moravia? My Ancestors were from the Hodonin district.

          Pavel

          > hatfield & mccoy series on the history channel was
          > pretty good.
          > Of course, they were
          > Irish I suppose.  My folks had not even immigrated
          > from
          > Moravia at that point
          > in time.
          > I just didn't
          > think think the news reports were so graphic way back
          > then.
          > I guess I will try to
          > czech out the old news reports on the hatfields &
          > mccoys..
          > do you have a
          > link??
          > Thanks!
          > Nancy
          > p.s. does anyone know
          > if the Charles Kretschmar (sp?) that posts on here is the
          > same Charles that was a choir/music teacher in the
          > 1970's in Taylor Tx?????

        • Nan
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 11, 2012

            Nancy,

            I’m sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. This has been a busy time for our family.  What I did to find the sites about the Hatfield and McCoy feud was to just google Hatfield and McCoy feud and read from the various sites listed. The one I found most interesting is the one with the old newspaper articles listed.  All you have to do is to click on those listings.  I hope you enjoy reading those strange articles as much as I did.  They were certainly eye-opening in the way they used to write the newspapers back then.

            Nan

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 12, 2012

              Hey Nan,

              Cool. Thanks for the heads up!

              Will give me something to do in my downtime.

              Nancy