Who are the Vlachs of Vlassko.docx

  • George Patrick
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2012

  • FREDERICK J JANECEK
    Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2012

      From: George Patrick <GPATRICK@...>
      To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sat, June 2, 2012 7:27:07 AM
      Subject: [TexasCzechs] Who are the Vlachs of Vlassko.docx [1 Attachment]

    • Mike
      Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2012
        George,

        Thanks for posting this. Here's a link to a somewhat easier to read
        version of Dr. Kocurek's study of the Vlachs (Valachs):

        http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/texasczech/Valachs/Who%20are%20the%20Valach\
        s.htm

        I am descended from a Blaha family that lived for over 200 years in what
        is now Huslenky (previously part of Hovezi) in Moravia. The Blahas were
        almost certainly Valachs. My earliest known Blaha ancestor was Jan
        Blaha (my eighth great grandfather) born about 1636 in Hovezi. Jan
        married Zuzana (Unknown) on 20 August 1656. That was only 12 years
        after the Protestant Valachs around Hovezi were attacked by a Habsburg
        army, resulting in the killing or execution of many of the male
        inhabitants. The Protestant Valachs around Vsetin in eastern Moravia
        were some of the last hold-outs near the end of The Thirty Years War
        (1818-1838).

        It is very likely that Jan Blaha's father (name unknown) was one of the
        Valach males that was killed or executed in 1644. This unknown Blaha
        would have been my ninth great grandfather. His approximately
        eight-year-old son Jan Blaha was obviously spared. Some of the history
        of the Valachs around Hovezi/Huslenky is presented in Dr. Kocurek's
        study.

        Although I have previously posted this, here's another link to general
        information on Moravian Wallachia:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moravian_Wallachia

        Mike Hejl
      • George Patrick
        Message 4 of 5 , Jun 2, 2012
          Thanks for posting the improved version Mike.  I couldn't get my computer to cooperate so I just posted what I could.  You do have a very interesting group of ancestors.  My Stepan ancestors arrived in texas in 1855 and my Petrek (from which my Irish mother derived the surname "Patrick") ancestors arrived in 1880s.  I've done quite a bit of Texas history for them but haven't tried to do much beyond that.

          Susan, a member of our group who left the group a while back, posted an article named "Moving with the Flocks", a description of the movement from romania to Moravia and beyond.  I think I have a copy of the article so guess I will post it for the new members.  wonder what Susan is doing???

        • rkohutek@ymail.com
          Message 5 of 5 , Jul 18, 2012
            Thank you for posting this research! I have been looking for this kind of information to better understand my great-great grandfather's immigration to Texas in 1882, and to narrow the search for my European Ancestry.

            Incidentally, my great-great grandfather was Adam Kohutek (1862-1940) who married Julia Cunek (Chunek/Schuneck). I believe his father-in-law was Martin Cunek. I am looking for information on all three of these people as it pertains to siblings and parents.

            Here is another wonderful excerpt that some may find useful:

            The following was published as the lead article in Volume I of a series of books published by the Texas Czech Genealogical Society in 2005 and 2007 titled "Czech Family Histories."

            AN ACCOUNT

            OF

            THE FIRST GROUP MIGRATIONS OF CZECHS TO TEXAS

            by

            James Woodrick

            pages 11 - 19

            Later in 1854 the "WESER" brought another group of Czech and Polish families to

            Texas, landing in Galveston on December 3. Czechs included Franz Blaha and family,

            Ferd. Dubsky, Maria Kotulla, Jan Kovajan and family, Franz Maniko, Jos. Matchotka,

            Franz Strade and John Zvolanek, his wife Amalia and daughter. Zvolanek was an

            ordained minister and a medical doctor. He first settled in San Falipe where he practiced

            medicine. In 1855 he began serving the early Protestant Czech settlers of the Ross Prairie

            (near Frelsburg) area as their preacher, leading certainly the first services spoken in

            Czech in Texas and perhaps the U.S.A. The Polish families founded the town of Panna

            Maria in Karnes County.

            On June 3, 1855, the Bremen brig "WESER" under Captain Vespermann landed in

            Galveston with a group of 13 Czech families primarily from the Vsetin area of eastern

            Moravia. Also on this voyage were 15 Polish families. The Czechs included:

            Vychopen, Joseph (3 persons) Ratibor

            Hribek, Paul (5 persons) Vsetin

            Bubela, Johann (6 persons) Vsetin

            Baletka, Johann (3 persons) Ratibor

            Balousek, Johann (5 persons) Ratibor

            Slovacek, Joseph (6 persons) Jasenka

            Kotrla, Paul (3 persons) Jasenka

            Cunek, Martin Vstein

            Mazac, Joseph (5 persons) Vsetin

            Simara, Stephan (5 persons) Vsetin

            Prozlednik, Joseph (3 persons) Vsetin

            Krenek, Michel (2 persons) Vikantice

            Krenek, Martin (2 persons) Vicantice

            The Bremen bark "VOV VIENKE" arrived in Galveston on June 14, 1855, with 20

            Czech families listed as from Moravia and believed to be part of the same group that

            arrived 10 days earlier on the "WESER". These families included:

            Siptak, John (3)

            Stepan, Martin (4)

            Barkzak, Stephan and wife

            Dubcak, John and wife

            Baletka, John (3)

            Mikus, John and wife

            Elsik, Joseph (4)

            Baluosek, John (5)

            Kovar, Thomas (5)

            Sebesta, Thomas (5)

            Svadlenak, Paul

            Zapalac, John (8)

            Holec, Martin (6)

            Zapalac, John and wife

            Jecmenek, Joseph (5)

            Roznoviak, John (3)

            Voytek, Martin (3)

            Galda (Kulda ?), Paul (6)

            Branecky, Joseph

            Rubac, Martin (3)

            Four Czech immigrants arrived in Galveston on July 4, 1855 on the Bremen bark

            "FRANCISCH". All are listed as from Bohemia and included Vincenz Marek (2

            persons), Cathrine Ripple and Anna Pechacek.

            A Shiller family connection is believed to have sparked emigration of a large

            number of Czechs from eastern Moravia. Among the passengers of the bark MARIA

            were Josef Shiller and his sister Rosina, wife of Josef Jezek. They had a sister Anna Silar

            who married Petr Mikeska, owner of the flour mill at Zadverice. Letters were exchanged

            between these siblings, and a group of Mikeska's and others from Zadverice soon

            followed to Texas, with Petr Mikeska and family arriving in 1855. This Shiller

            connection is further reinforced by the recollections of Clara Reymershoffer, an early

            Czech immigrant to Texas, who wrote (in "Hospodar", 1907, Volume XVIII, Number 1,

            page 93): "There was a miller lady in Zadverice who had a sister in Texas, but since

            neither of them could read or write, their correspondence was carried out by Rev.

            Bergmann here in Texas and by my father in Moravia. In those letters Rev. Bergmann,

            and especially Mrs. Bergmann, spoke so well of Texas that my parents gave priority to

            Texas even though a Mr. Majer from St. Louis did not speak well of Texas." The

            Reymershoffer, Kristofek, Kasparek and Rudlof families left Moravia in September,

            1854, for Texas. Several other families from the Vsetin region in Moravia came to Texas

            in 1855. They included three Mikeska families, Sebesta, Rubac, Roznovjek, Mikus, and

            other families. They arrived in Cat Springs and then spread to communities in Austin and

            Colorado Counties.

            The Reverend Bergman and Josef Lesikar, both of whom were prolific writers,

            continued their correspondence to Europe about the opportunities in Texas, and thus

            encouraged many more Czechs to come to Texas. Many more did indeed come in the

            period between 1855 and 1861, from both Cechy and Moravia. Among the Czechs who

            came to the Cat Spring area during this period were Jan Reimershoffer, Josef Masik,

            Bohumil Kolacny, Jakub Pachr and many others. A relatively large group of Czechs,

            mostly from Moravia, reached Texas in 1860 on the JEVERLAND. Many of these

            people settled in Fayette County. The outbreak of the Civil War in 1861 virtually

            stopped any immigration from Europe to Texas until the war ended in 1865.

            The greatest influx of Czechs to Texas was after the Civil War. The majority of

            these new settlers came from Moravia. Among those who located in Austin County,

            many were from Zadverice; but Vsetin, Frydek-Mistek, Jemnice, Chotebudice and other

            areas were also well represented. The community of Nelsonville in Austin County

            became a popular place of residence with the Czechs during this period. Many children

            was the norm for Texas Czech families at that time, and as the second generation children

            came of age many moved away from their homes in Austin, Fayette and Colorado

            Counties to other parts of Texas in search of new lands to farm. The following chart

            shows the growth of Czech population in Austin County from 1850 to 1900.

            NOTE: This origin of this document was prepared as the basis for a ten-minute

            presentation at the CZECH SYMPOSIUM, Temple, Texas, October 28, 1977, by Houston

            residents and prominent Texas Czech historians John T. Kroulik , PhD (then retired U. S.

            Army bacteriologist), Mrs. Guy Oliphint (then Executive Assistant of Denka Chemical

            Corporation) and Albert J. Blaha, Sr. , B.S. (then Assistant Construction Manager of

            International Products Petroleum and Chemical Group). An early version was printed in

            "Czech Immigration Passenger Lists – Volume 1" by Leo Baca. It was revised by John

            Kroulik in the late 1980's and has been expanded by James V. Woodrick after 1989 to

            include new information from a number of sources, especially from Frantisek Silar of the

            Czech Republic and Albert Blaha, who compiled Czech immigrant lists from mid-1850s

            ship arrivals.

            APPENDIX I

            List of Czech Passengers on the MARIA Roster as Compiled in Liverpool, England.

            AGE AGE

            1) Johann Szornowsky 38 10) Josef Maresh 30

            Rosalie Szornowsky 36 Theresa Maresh 24

            Johanna Szornowsky 12 Vincenc Maresh 3

            2) **Johannah Shiller 53? Frantiska Maresh Infant

            *Bernard Shiller 22 11) *Josef Shiller 42

            3) *Johann Shiller 35 Ann Shiller 42

            Rosalia Shiller 34 Johann(ah?) Shiller 8

            Rosalie Shiller Infant Vincenc Shiller 13

            Vincent Shiller 6 Franz Shiller 6

            Ann Shiller 3 Teresie Shiller Infant

            4) Josef Jezek 26 Ann Shiller 10

            Rosine Jezek 30 Rosalie Shiller 2

            Rosalie Jezek Infant 12) Wenzel Motyl 34

            Josef Jezek 6 Ann Motyl 31

            5) Josef Leshikar 35 Josef Motyl 6

            Ann Leshikar 37 Ann Motyl 4

            Vincenc Leshikar 10 Rosalie Infant

            +Josef Leshikar 9 13) Johann Rosler 46

            ++Theresa Leshikar 4 Karoline Rosler 29

            Anna Leshikar Infant Ferdinand Rosler 5

            6) Josef Rypl 24 Johann(ah) Rosler 3

            *Ann Rypl 31 Vedielin Rosler Infant

            Vincenc Rypl 2 Wendlin Rosler 54

            Anna or Josef Rypl Infant 14) Josef Rypl (alone) 26

            7) *Vincenc Shiller 26 15) Johann Coufal 31

            Ann Shiller 26 Veronika Coufal 30

            Josef Shiller 2 Vincenc Coufal 7

            8) *Carl Shiller 33 Anna Coufal Infant

            Ann Shiller 28 16) Anton Votava 55

            Johann Shiller 2 Antonia Votava 48

            Anna Shiller 6 Vincenc Votava 22

            9) Josef Shiller 45 Rosalie Votava 17

            *Rosalie Shiller 39 Franciska Votava 16

            Vincenz Shiller 13 17) Josef Shiller 29

            Josef Shiller 10 *Theresa Shiller 21

            Ann Shiller 9 Anna Shiller Infant

            NOTE: Asterisk (*) denotes children of Johanna Shiller

            + later raised by Palm family (became Joseph Palm)

            ++ later raised by Schneider's, married Herman Sens

            The MARIA passengers in greater detail, as researched by Frantisek Silar,

            follows:

            1. Johanna SHILLER widow of Pavel Shiller from Nepomuky No. 3, daughter of

            Vojtecha Balcar from Cermna 174, born 8 September 1790.

            Bernard SHILLER her single son, born 8 November 1829.

            2. Jan SHILLER from Nepomuky No. 3, son of Pavel and Johanna Shiller, born

            15 February 1816.

            Rosalie SHILLER wife, daughter of Josef Jezek from Cermna 307, 34 years, and

            children:

            Rosalie SHILLER born 2 September 1850

            Vincenc SHILLER born 14 December 1844

            Anna SHILLER born 23 July 1848

            3. Johann SZORNOWSKY

            Rosalie Szornowsky

            Johanna Szornowsky

            4. Josef JEZEK from Cermna No. 324, age 26

            Rozina JEZEK wife, nee Shiller from Nepomuky No. 29, age 30, and children:

            Rosalie JEZEK

            Josef JEZEK 6 years

            5. Josef LESIKAR from Cermna No. 307, son of Frantisek Lesikar and Veronica

            Dusek, cousin of Josef Lidumil Lesikar, born 11 September 1816.

            Anna LESIKAR wife, daughter of Josef Jezek from Cermna No. 307, age 35, and

            children:

            Vincenc LESIKAR born 8 April 1845

            Josef LESIKAR born 12 January 1841

            Teresie LESIKAR born 8 February 1843

            Anna LESIKAR born 18 June 1847

            6. Anton VOTAVA Nepomuky, 55 years

            Anna VOTAVA wife, age 48 , and children:

            Vincenc VOTAVA age 22

            Rosalie VOTAVA age 17

            Frantiska VOTAVA age 16

            7. Josef RYPL Nepomuky No. 19, born 14 May 1827

            Ann RYPL, daughter of Pavel and Johanna Shiller from Nepomuky No. 3, born 22 June

            1820, and children:

            Vincenc RYPL born 3 February 1849

            Anna RYPL born 5 July 1851

            Josef RYPL born 5 July 1851

            8. Josef SHILLER Nepomuky No. 7, born 16 AUG 1830

            Teresie SHILLER wife, daughter of Pavel and Johanna Shiller from Nepomuky No. 3,

            born 5 OCT 1822, and child:

            Anna SHILLER born 8 June 1850

            9. Vincenc SHILLER son of Pavel and Johanna Shiller from Nepomuky No. 3,

            born 22 MAY 1825.

            Anna SHILLER wife, Nepomuky No. 6, born 20 NOV 1826, and children:

            Josef SHILLER age 2

            Vincenc SHILLER born 20 DEC 1850

            10. Karel SHILLER Nepomuky No. 12, son of Pavel and Johanna Shiller, born 15

            JUN 1818.

            Anna SHILLER wife, nee Rypl, born 14 MAR 1824, and children:

            Jan SHILLER born 16 JAN 1850

            Anna SHILLER born 9 OCT 1845

            11. Josef RYPL Nepomuky, born 30 OCT 1826

            12. Josef SHILLER Nepomuky No. 3, son of Pavel Shiller and Kateriny Markove

            from Nepomuky No. 7, born 24 SEP 1805

            Rosalie SHILLER wife, daughter of Pavel and Johanna Shiller from Nepomuky No. 3,

            born 30 MAR 1812, and children:

            Vincenc SHILLER born 28 JAN 1837

            Josef SHILLER born 20 APR 1839

            Anna SHILLER born 18 MAY 1841

            13. Josef MARES Cermna No. 140, age 30

            Teresie MARES wife, nee Shiller, age 24, and children:

            Vincenc MARES age 3

            Frantiska MARES ---

            14. Josef SHILLER Albrectice, son of Pavel and Johanna Shiller, Nepomuky No. 3,

            born 14 MAR 1810.

            Anna SHILLER second wife, nee RYPL, Nepomuky No.15, born 6 AUG 1817, and

            children:

            Jan SHILLER born 20 AUG 1843

            Vincenc SHILLER born 18 MAR 1838

            Frantisek SHILLER born 1 NOV 1845

            Teresie SHILLER born 24 JAN 1851

            Anna SHILLER born 8 NOV 1839

            Rosalie SHILLER born 6 JAN 1849

            15. Vaclav MOTL Cermna, born 1817

            Anna MOTL wife, nee Shiller from Nepomuky No.17, born 1820, and children:

            Josef MOTL age 6

            Anna MOTL age 4

            Rosalie MOTL ---

            16. Jan RESLER Dolni Hermanice, age 46

            Karolina RESLER wife, age 29, and children:

            Ferdinand RESLER age 5

            Jan RESLER age 3

            Vendelin RESLER ---

            17. Jan COUFAL Cermna No. 234, born 1820

            Veronika COUFAL wife, nee Lesikar from Herbortice, born 1821, and children:

            Vincenc COUFAL born 1844

            Jan COUFAL born 1846

            Anna COUFAL born 1849

            APPENDIX II

            Bark SUWA - Captain D. Schwarz

            Left Bremerhaven Nov. 11, 1853

            Arrived Galveston Dec. 23, 1853

            84 Entries 206 Persons

            New Braunfels Zeitung 13.1.1854

            PASSENGER LIST

            Bano, Heinrich - from Berlin

            Bode, Joachim - from Berlin

            Brunner, Johann- from Dresden

            Bunte, Family - from Braunschweig, 7 persons

            Carstens, Maria - from Oldenburg

            Caufel, Amalie - from Vienna

            Crach, Gustav - from Kassel, 5 persons

            Diedrich, Maria - from Kassel

            Dreves, Carl - from Berlin

            Ezermack, Franz - from Vienna, 3 persons

            Grote, F. W. - from Berlin

            Hartman, Wilh, and Dor. - from Hanover

            Heine, Fried. - from Hannover

            Herzger, Edward - from Dresden

            Hochen, Heinrich - from Hannover

            Hopper, Heinrich - from Hannover

            Huber, Christian - from Wittenberg

            Janecek, Wenzel and Anna - from Vienna

            Jires, Family - from Vienna, 3 persons

            Juergens, Eriedrich - from Hannover

            Junk, Sigismund - from Berlin

            Kaule, Gotthelf - from Berlin

            Kittel, Hernlan and Christiane - from Berlin

            Klein, Family - from Berlin, 5 persons

            Klober, Susanna - from Darmstadt, 5 persons

            Klunker, Family - from Berlin, 3 persons

            Kohl, Louis and Wilhme.- from Altenburg

            Kroalik, Johann and Anna - from Vienna (mother and son)

            Leschikar, Family -from Vienna,11 persons (2 families)

            Lohmalln, Friedke - from Berlin

            Lubbbert, Wilh. - from Detmold

            Maak,Dorothea - from Berlin

            Mandel, Family - from Hannover, 5 persons

            Maresch, Family - from Vienna, 6 persons

            Meier, Heinrlch - from Hannover

            Mittler, Johann F. - from Munich

            Moeller, Johann - from Berlin

            Moreck, Franz - from Vienna

            Muschke, Gustav - from Berlin

            Ober, Philip - from Berlin

            Obermeier, Johann H. - from Berlin

            Ochs, Family - from Kassel, 4 persons

            Paulicec, Franz - from Vienna

            Pechack, Family - from Vienna, 9 persons

            Peglich, Johann - from Cassel

            Plasmann, Louise and 2 children - from Berlin

            Pommervenke, Wilh. - from Dresden

            Puls, F. and Friedke - from Berlin

            Rabe, Johanna - from Braunschweig

            Rausch, Hein. and Cath. - from Cassel

            Rebentisch, C. F. - from Cassel

            Reifer, Emil - from Cassel

            Ribbel, Franziska - from Vienna

            Rieke, Johann - from Berlin

            Riemenschneider, Val. - from Cassel

            Rippel, Franz - from Vienna

            Rittel, Herman and Christianae - from Berlin

            Ruprecht, Robert - from Berlin

            Ruschek, Franz and Mariane - from Vienna

            Sattler, Wilh. - from Berlin

            Schaper, Christian - from Hannover

            Schilde, J. G. - from Berlin

            Schiller, Family - from Vienna, 38 persons

            Schmldkamp, Bernh. - from Berlin

            Schneider, Family - from Berlin, 8 persons

            Schoke, Wilh. - from Hannover

            Schulze, Johanna - from Berlin

            Scheen, F. - from Hannover

            Segger, Fried. - from Hannover

            Selzack, Johann and Anna - from Vienna

            Sieghorst, Carl L. - from Berlin

            Slege, Hinerich - from Hannover

            Soellner, Dor. - from Berlin

            Strunke, Hein. and Johanna - from Berlin

            Taiber, Joseph and Cath. - from Vienna

            Tiekoetter, Family - from Berlin, 4 persons

            Tresimer, Carl - from Berlin

            Veinhorn, Family - from Hannover, 6 persons

            Voessek, August - from Berlin

            Vogt, Wilg. and Henriette - from Berlin

            Wiegel, Christian - from Braunschweig

            Wittbecker, Wilh. - from Berlin