CHS Harris County Meeting May 20

  • jesenwei@mdanderson.org
    Message 1 of 17 , May 2, 2012
      Join us on Sunday, May 20, 2-5 pm to hear Irene Walters from the Clayton Library Center for Genealogical Research in Houston, who will speak on "A Nation of Immigrants - U.S. Naturalization and Genealogy". Irene's talk will cover:

      >> the history of naturalization laws and requirements in the U.S.
      >> how this affected our ancestors and their naturalization
      >>naturalization records for genealogical research, what you may find and how to find it.

      Irene came to Clayton in 1997, and over the years has been in charge of volunteers, periodicals, cd-roms, and computers. Currently, Irene coordinates Clayton's involvement in the digitization project with the LS Library in Salt Lake City, and is liaison between Clayton and the Houston Public Library cataloging department.

      Irene has given talks to many local groups on various aspects of genealogical research including computers, the Internet, ancestors in the modern military, using newspapers for your research, New York State, Irish and French research. Irene started her own genealogy research as a teenager and has taken her lines back into France and Ireland. Her German lines and those dropped off by passing alien ships are being more difficult.

      The meeting will be held at the CHS Harris County Library, 4117 Willowbend in Houston. Hope to see you there!