My Czech Family - Sladovnik, Marek, Frnka

  • Eric_the_red75040
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2012
      My mother's family is something I have been researching for some time now. My grandmother is Melba Jean Sladovnik, daughter of Milady Cornelius Sladovnik (her first name is often spelled Milada, and her middle name is sometimes spelled Cornelia).

      Milady's parents are Anna Marek and Florian Sladovnik. Now, this is where things get tricky... Technically Florian is a Frnka, but he took his mother's name instead of his father's name. It is said that this was a family feud, but I'm not sure how much of that is true.

      Florian's parents are Florian Frnka and Rozena (Rosina) Sladovnikova. My grandmother told me that Czech people add "ova" to the end of their last names if they are widows, so when they are buried with that last name it is actually their maiden name plus the "ova" to show they are widows.

      Florian's parents are Josef Frnka and Anna Kosarek. Josef is married twice, first to Anna Kosarek and then to Anna Kynsak.

      I don't know much about Rozena's family... I know her mother is named Rozena as well, and also has the last name Sladovnikova. It is rumored her spouse was named Michael, but I don't know anything else about him. Since her name has the "ova," I assume that Michael was not a Sladovnik, but that Sladovnik was Rozena's maiden name.

      Here is what I have with dates and names:

      Melba Jean Sladovnik, b. 1931 and still living.
      Mother: Milady C Sladovnik, b. 1905 and d. 1989

      Milady's parents are:
      Florian Sladovnik, b. 1867 and d. 1919
      and wife Anna Marek, b. 1867 and d 1915

      Anna's parents are:
      Frantisek (Frank) Marek, b. 1837 and d. 1924
      and wife Frantiska (Francis) Jansa, b. 1839 and d. 1921

      Florian's parents are:
      Florian Frnka Sr., b. 1846 and d. 1900
      and wife Rozena Sladovnikova, b. 1842 and d. 1870
      (I'm confused to how she could be a widow if Florian died later, but I'm going by what my grandmother said about the last name)

      Florian Frnka Sr's parents are:
      Josef Frnka, b. 1822 and d. 1902
      and wife Anna Kosarek, b. 1812 and d. 1863

      Rozena's mother is:
      Rozena Sladovnikova, b. 1808 and d. 1869

      I know the names of several of the other children in these families, but this is the direct line that I'm interested in. I want to know more about the Marek family and the Sladovniks, as well as the Frnka and Jansa lines.

      I have several family photos and documents, but I can't seem to find any other information. If anyone is related to any of these families, please reply to this. I would love to share information.

      -Eric Boyd