Re: [TexasCzechs] New Discovery - Gertner/Gaertner/Zahradnik

  • Rosemary Ermis
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 4, 2011
      Congratulations, Gerri.  What a great and wonderful find !

      Rosemary

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 5, 2011
        Gerri,
        I ran across this article a while back.Of interest was another spelling of Zahradnik.  Also, Jim's dad Rudy Gaertner, was one of the founders of TexTan near Yoakum.  rudy was a saddler by trade as evidenced by the custom-made saddle he made  which is displayed in the Leather Room of the Yoakum Museum.  In later years he obtained a private plane and flew far and wide purchasing furs and special leather for TexTan.  As you know, the Gaertners are still in the leather business with tandy Brands, Inc.  Guess it runs in the family?  This all leads me to wonder if the fellow in the article below also came from a long line of leather workers in the area of Hostal Kova?

        Hope this finds you and yours doing well?

        George
        -------

        In the hilly landscape of Moravian Wallachia, where Hoštálková is located, horses have always been an important means of earning a living. In bygone days,

        the owners of horses themselves used to make harnesses, although the more affluent farmers ordered them from saddlers. In the period between the two world

        wars, the saddlers Kanák and Zahradnícek, among others, ran this trade in Hoštálková. Halted temporarily by the nationalization of small businesses after

        1948, this tradition was revived in the 1970s. At present the company Kuže, Ltd, is involved in this trade, supplying domestic and foreign customers with

        harnesses - collars, halters, branches, bridles and reins - designed both for draught and race horses. The company once had to fulfil an interesting order;

        it was commissioned to make period harnesses and saddle warmers for Luc Besson`s film The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc.

        Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:16 pm

        http://l.yimg.com/a/i/us/plus/csp/cn/norgie_closed_dna.gifShow Message Info

        #38069 of 60466
        Msg List <Prev | Next>

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 6, 2011
          Message
          Gerri,

          My husband's 3rd great grandmother, Anna Josefa Rab was born in Belotin in 1796 to Johann Rab and Barbora Ostravski.  She married Johann Schmidt in 1818.  He was from Deutsch Jassnik (now Jesenik nad Odrou).  After their marriage, they lived in Pohl (now Polom) where they had 10 children (not all lived to adulthood).

          Some of the other surnames of people who married into this family are Schubert, Schramm, Gunther, Dittrich, Heger, Fritsch, Blaschke, and Malcher.

          If any of these surnames are also in your family, let me know and I will do more digging to see if we can connect them.

          Nancy Schmidt

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 6, 2011
            What Kubala family do u belong to  My name is Jerry F Kubala Jr. Grnand father Fred or ferdain Kubala  I live in Fayetteville  If interested send me an e mail    vitam20032000@...

            This is so very true, especially when you gain an accumulation of information over time.  I have found it to be true for my Kubala family. Thank you for posting.
            Nancy B.

[...]

            FREE Christmas Animations for your email – by IncrediMail! Click Here!
          • Peggy Harmon
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 6, 2011
              I am related to a Richard Gaetner, who is now deceased.  He lived in Pasadena, Tx and was from Wilson County, Texas.
              I am researching, Schmid (Johann, Victoria - who married a Brandt) and Giesecke (Bertha who married a Henry Brandt) and I found their Giesecke and Brandt's original paper work on land grants from 1847 in Austin/Washington County Texas.
              I have researched the Max Kech, Mary Wilkinson, Mary Schultz, Mary Schulz (thats right, without a "t"), Anton Lauw, Rosina Sebesta long lost husband.  Peggy Giesalhart Harmon.