Re: Compuiter Helps - Boot Disk

  • kotrlarj@juno.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2001
      Hey Listers:

      And then you have us, (me), whose boot disk was dead and had to get
      computer repairman to make new one.

      Good advice and information from Sir John.

      Richard Jerome Kotrla II
      Moderator

      Researching: Kotrla, Kotrola, Kristof, Kristoff, Christoff, Kubena,
      Kubeyana, Repka, Balcar, Dusek, Marek, Hunka, Motl, Jezek, Slovacek,
      Jurin, Poncik, Klucasek, Mahac, Martinets, Martinek, Lichnovsky,
      Schiller, Friemel, Minter, Atkinson, Melnar, Machalek, Srubar,
      Woytipka, Surovik, Eubanks, Groce, Blaha.

      --- In texasczechs@y..., Lois Petter Pereira <loispereira@s...> wrote:
      > Sir John you need to add this to the computer class
      materials....lois

      > "John L. Mikeska" wrote:
      >
      > > Hi TexasCzechs, Sir John is putting on his Professor's robe today
      and
      > > giving a few hints on what to do in case your computer will not
      > > 'Boot-Up'. IF you feel comfortable of having knowledge of what to
      do
      > > in such cases, you can pass to the next posting. This will be for
      > > members that want to know but don't know what to do or even ask
      what
      > > to do. Seriously... Boot-Up: This is a strange terminology to
      many
      > > people new to computers. 'Boot Up' is the term meaning 'turn on
      the
      > > computer'. Many things occur when the power switch is turned on.
      You
      > > hear buzzes, beeps, whirring, lights flickering, monitor having
      > > terminology scroll across it, and finally the famous Microsoft
      flag
      > > waving, if everything is in good shape. A lot of activity goes on
      the
      > > first minute the power switch is turned on and if all voltages are
      > > correct, the t's crossed, i's dotted and the warrantee hasn't
      > > expired, the system starts. But, that's another story. The
      beep(s)
      > > tell a repairman much about what is wrong with a computer is it
      does
      > > not start. What does boot-disk have to do with boot-up? If you
      have
      > > not experienced your computer freezing up during boot-up, just
      wait.
      > > It will, sooner or later. Just happens! Most of the time you can
      > > push the reset button and let the computer try booting again. If
      > > you've ever heard someone say "Do a warm-boot". You just did it.
      You
      > > do not turn the power off, the hard drive does not stop spinning -
      > > just cutting the electricity to the BI/OS. (Don't worry what the
      BI/OS
      > > is now - but you do have one!) If the computer does not complete
      it's
      > > cycle and brings up the Windows program. Might get a little
      excited,
      > > but don't scream yet. Do a 'cold-boot' after couple warm-boots and
      > > they do not work. A cold-boot is turning the power switch off and
      > > waiting 10 to 20 seconds before turning the switch back on . I've
      > > always read to wait 20 seconds until few weeks ago, and I will
      still
      > > wait that long, if needed. Purpose of the cold boot is to remove
      all
      > > power from the machine and if the problems is something minor, the
      > > cold boot will remove it. Why wait 20 seconds? Computer hard
      drive
      > > manufactures state turning the power switch back on BEFORE the
      hard
      > > drive stops spinning causes more wear on the hard drive than
      anything
      > > else. They refer it to a 'shock'. With the newer hard drive
      spinning
      > > at 7,200 RPM (revolutions per minute), I wait the full 20 seconds!
      > > The cold boot normally will fix the problem, be it booting up,
      modem
      > > not connecting (working properly) or other 'quirks'. Now, if it
      won't
      > > start up, you may need to use a Boot Disk or Start Up disk. A
      message
      > > will usually be displayed on the monitor stating improper
      operating
      > > system, or operating system not fund, use the Start Up disk. I
      KNOW
      > > everyone has made a startup disk, or has one that came with your
      > > computer if purchased from a retail dealer. If not, let's make
      one,
      > > and those who do have a start up disk, don't go away yet! MAKING A
      > > BOOT-DISK: Put a blank floppy in the A drive. From the Desktop,
      > > which is the screen on monitor when Windows finishes booting up,
      click
      > > on Start, move your cursor up to Settings. Another menu opens to
      the
      > > right when your cursor is on Settings. Move the cursor and click
      on
      > > Control Panel. The Control Panel opens up and on the top row of
      icons,
      > > third from the left, is Add/Remove Programs. Click on Add/Remove
      > > Programs and a new menu appears again. (See, you are getting your
      > > hard earned moneys worth after all!) Note across the top are
      three
      > > tabs, with the right tab titled Make Startup Disk. Click on it
      and
      > > follow directions to make the Startup Disk or Boot-up Disk. This
      > > sounds like a lot of things to do, but just you can do it. I am
      > > enclosing a picture of the Start-up disk tab at end of this
      message,
      > > in case it may be confusing Label the Boot Disk just that - Boot
      > > Disk. I'd suggest you label it whatever your operating system is
      -
      > > Win 95, 98 First addition, second addition, or whatever. Some
      > > operating systems require the boot disk be of the same operating
      > > system. And Put the disk where you will remember where you put
      > > it!!!! When and if you need it, trying to recall where it was
      placed
      > > can add to the anxiety! Trust me, I know! Make the Boot Disk
      write
      > > protected. This is accomplished by sliding the tab, on left
      reverse
      > > side of the disk, so that the square hole is uncovered. This
      prevents
      > > anything being written to the disk, such as a virus lurking on the
      > > hard drive!!!!! Now, do not take it for granted this Start-up Disk
      > > will work until you try it. A member found his boot-up disk that
      was
      > > furnished with his computer purchase 4 years ago did not work
      > > recently. To test the disk, turn the computer off. Place the
      boot
      > > disk in the A drive and turn the power on. Boot up will take
      longer
      > > than usual, but if everything is working correctly, the computer
      will
      > > boot up showing the A:\ prompt. That is the indication it works!
      You
      > > are in DOS at this point - most people say they do not know how to
      use
      > > DOS. Fist lesson! No extra charge! type DIR and list of files
      on
      > > the boot disk shows up. Good. Now, type C: and you should see the
      C:\
      > > prompt. Type Win and windows will start up and go about your
      business
      > > and feel proud you are protected.!!! Sir John, Earl of
      > > BerkshireModeratorWhat good is information if not shared with
      others?
      > > jlmikeska@t...
      > > Researching: Mikeska, Scasta/Stasta, Balcar, Nedbalek, Garrett,
      > > Trimble, Holcomb(e)
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      > [Become a Better Trader!]

      Service.

      > --
      > Lois Petter Pereira
      > Researching Ahlhorn, Bokemeyer, Brdusik, Bruntrig, Cordes, Filges,
      > Francis, Garney, Gebauer, Hadac, Hadash, Halla, Hauser, Hoelschel,
      > Kaskie, Maciejewski, Manak, Nauger, Ollre, Orsag, Orsak, Otjen,
      Papiz,
      > Pavlik, Pereira, Petter, Polasek, Pratka, Psencik, Rada, Rohan,
      > Sablatura, Schaub, Schroeder, Slovack, Susil, Tiemann, Urban,
      Weiser.