Recipe for Bohemian Rye Bread WANTED

  • richardgarza1@juno.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11, 2000
      Robert,
      You need to describe the bread a bit more. Did she use a sourdough
      starter for this bread (as is usual for many rye breads)? Was it a nice
      dense loaf, typical of European style breads? Was it a medium to light
      brown color, or a dark brown like a pumpernikel? Did she put it in an
      Anglo/English style loaf pan or bake on a cookie sheet, Central Europe
      style?
      Most likely reason for getting her flour from Illinois was the hardness
      of the wheat. Southern wheat flour uses a soft wheat low in gluten - bad
      for bread, good for biscuits. Northern wheat flour uses a hard wheat
      high in gluten - good for bread, bad for biscuits.

      Sharing. It's What It's All About!
      Rick Garza
      http://www.garza-zattler.homepage.com/
      NameSearch: GARZA, ZATTLER, REYNA, FOSTER, SCHACHTNER, STOPFER,
      HOLLMAIER, VOGEL, VOGL, WEINZIERL, FINK
      http://www.egroups.com/database/texasczechs

      On Tue, 11 Apr 2000 20:30:50 -0500 robert veselka <rmv31@...>
      writes:
      > I am trying to locate a receipe close to my mothers and her mothers
      > some
      > 60 years and more old I do no she used a special pillsbury Rye and
      > Wheat flour imported from
      > Cicero Il. and even after moving to Texas she bought 50# at a time
      > and
      > had it shipped to
      > her for her Rye Bread and ( Salted Horns )
      > I could care less then for the receipe but now I wish I would have
      > written it down ,
      > she did it all by memory from the riseing yeast to the final baked
      > break
      > with real butter
      > while it was hot out of the oven . Does any one have the solution to
      > my
      > need.
      >
      > Robert Veselka
      > rmv31@...