Need Help Finding Marriage Record

  • Chuck Shultz
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2001
      Hello List,

      I would like to find church record (if available) of my gg grandparent's marriage, Vincent SCIBA and Frances HOLOTIK.  I have several good clues as to where to look but thought maybe someone on the list would have information to narrow my search.

      I have conflicting data.  Two sources say they were married in Fayetteville and one source that indicates the civil record of marriage was recorded in Colorado county.  Also, one source says they were married at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church.  Isn't that in Ammannsville?  And isn't the church in Fayetteville St. John's?  Also, one source says Vincent's family settled near Frelsburg.  I have Vincent SCIBA with his parents and siblings in the 1870 census for Industry.  I suppose that could be considered near Frelsburg.

      Confused?  Any help would be appreciated.

      Chuck Shultz
      website:
      http://www.ghg.net/cashultz/family.html
      researching: SCIBA, HOLOTIK, JANDA, QUITTA, HONES

      ----- Sources -----

      1927 50th Wedding Anniversary
      [Hallettsville, newspaper unknown]
      ... The couple Vincenc and Frantiska Sciba, nee Holotik, celebrated on Sunday the 17th of this month the 50th anniversary of their wedding (i.e. the so-called Golden Wedding). At half past seven in the morning, accompanied by their children and grandchildren, they visited Sacred Heart Church. There, before the altar and Rev. Mathis, they renewed their promise of eternal marriage, which they took 50 years at St. John the Baptist Church in Fayetteville, Texas, assisted by Rev. J. J. Chromcik ...
      ... Mr. Sciba was born in Prussian Silesia in 1857 and came to America as a 10-year-old boy, together with his parents, who settled in the vicinity of Frelsburg, Texas ...

      1940 Obit
      [Hallettsville, newspaper unknown]
      ... Born in Czechoslovakia, she came to Texas at the age of 15 and settled at Fayetteville. Sixty-three years ago she was married to Vinc Sciba by Rev. J. Chromcik.  Later the young couple moved to Lavaca County and reared a large family of fine children ...

      Czech Extractions of Marriages and Declarations
      Colorado County, TX
      Albert Blaha, Sr.

      Wenzel Schieba   (Vincenc Sciba)
      Franzisca Hollakig  (Frantiska Holotik)
      Bk F  Pg 28
      J. Chromicik

      Haury Scibo  (Andreas Sciba)
      Mary Wandowsky  (Marie Lewandowski)
      Bk F  Pg 39
      J. Chromicik
    • SA Barton
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 28, 2001
        The Nesbitt library in Columbus has a wonderful genealogy-history room and has books listing marriages in Colorado County for sure, because I have used it and maybe for Fayette County, I can't remember about Fayette for sure.
        Sara Ann Barton

[...]

      • Lois Petter Pereira
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 28, 2001
          If they were married at St John's in Fayetteville then the the library
          in LaGrange would have a listing of that. They have bound books that are
          in alphabetical order by brides and grooms. If you want the actual
          record then you get that from the courthouse. Now if they married in
          Industry that is Austin County if I am not mistaken. The Washington
          County Marriage records are on line but I didn't see that name
          there.......lois

          [Classmates.com]
          Click here for Classmates.com

          Lois Petter Pereira
        • Richard Garza
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 28, 2001
            Chuck,
                    Your data does not conflict that much. St. John the Baptist... is the Roman Catholic church in Fayetteville, often referred to as St. John's.
                    Frelsburg & Industry are equidistant from Fayetteville. It is possible they leased or worked some land near enough to Industry when the 1870 census was taken. You will, of course, need the details of the census showing the location of the farm and compare to a present day map.
                    If they finally settled for a period closer to Frelsburg it would make sense they would file their marriage with the civil authorities in Colorado County. I've seen from others on the list that the Frelsburg and Industry RC churches have maintained good records. It might behoove you to check there to see if they were parishioners in Frelsburg or Industry. Unfortunately, I don't know the name of those churches.

            Sharing. It's What It's All About!
            Rick Garza

          • cashultz@ghg.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 28, 2001
              Thanks for the help, Sara, Lois, Rick and all who contacted me
              privately. I suspected the RC church in Fayetteville was also St.
              John the Baptist. Today I sent a query by email to the the Fayette
              County Library hoping to confirm Fayetteville as marriage location.

            • danbea@cvtv.net
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 1 8:35 PM
                Immaculate Conception in Industry, telephone number 979-357-2830;
                St. Peter and Paul's Catholic Church in Frelsburg, telephone number 979-732-3430;
                St. John's in Fayetteville, telephone number 979-378-2277.
                Good luck.   Bea Rost