Varak

  • CWarschak@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2001
      Carla,

      Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I suppose anything is possible but I
      don't think that the names you suggested are derivitives of the Varak name.
      So far as I know, no one in my family ever thought about, or even cared
      about, our roots until I started doing genealogy. (Now they all say - That is
      interesting - I would like to have a copy of it when you are finished.)
      When I was a child I never had any reason to think that I was anything
      but German. Of course, it is easy to see that Warschak is not a German name
      but it doesn't exactly fit the mold for a Czech name either.
      Many people speculate that Warschak is Polish but I have absolutely no reason
      to believe that it is.
      I have no grounds by which to prove this but I think my ancestors made
      every effort to become Germanicized. They settled near Frelsburg, a
      predominantly German community, in lieu of Cat Spring or Fayetteville,
      although there are also many Czechs in the Frelsburg area.
      Since I have not been able to determine my ancestors' village of origin.
      I don't know for sure how they spelled their name before immigrating to the
      U. S. I am only going by the fact that, if a Czech priest was officiating at
      the event, the name is spelled Varak (with a hacek over the r) in the church
      records. By the same token, I have reason to believe that my g-g
      grandmother's maiden name was Verla. It appears to me that Varak has evolved
      into Warschak and Verla has evolved into Walla - although there are also some
      Werllas in that same general vicinity.
      The pronunciation of Varak (with a hacek over the r) is "Vars(z)hok" or
      something similar to that. That is almost identical to the way that some of
      the old timers pronounce Warschak today.
      All suggestions are appreciated. (If you have ideas, I don't care what
      you call me - just call me!"

      Carroll E. Warschak