Cemeteries in Burleson County??

  • Allen Livanec
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2011
      Does anyone know if there is any cemeteries in Burleson County that go back to
      1890??
    • Julie & Wes Matus
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2011
        Hi Allen - You might try this link. Might be worth a shot?

        Julie & Wes

        --
        Researching:
        Herzik, Korenek, Toman, Dybala

      • MistRaven@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2011
          I know some.
          • Old City Cemetery in Caldwell was established in 1840
          • Brazos Bottom Baptist Cemetery (Old Tunis Cemetery) has graves dating from the 1840's
          • Carr Cemetery was founded in 1861
          • Chriesman Cemetery was established in 1878
          • Chriesman Chapel Cemetery in Deanville was established in 1869
          • Evangelical United Church of Christ in Lyons (I think. I have a relative buried there in 1902)
          • New Tabor Cemetery in Caldwell goes back to 1888
          • Snook Cemetery goes back to at least 1890 because the cemetery was already established when the name was changed from Sebesta to Snook in 1890
          Hopes this helps!

          ~ Stachia

        • dofrco@embarqmail.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2011

            Here’s some more info…

            Below is a list of some Czech cemeteries in Burleson County with the oldest grave of each.  My ggrandfather is buried in the Slovak Cemetery.

            Source: Czech Settlements and Cemeteries in Texas Related to Soils by Arika L. Kulhavy

            Hope this helps,

            Doris

            Slovak Cemetery, Burleson County, Texas

            Oldest grave: Jan Trcalek, Sr., 1820‐ Dubna 15, 1871

            SPJST Cemetery, Burleson County, Texas

            Oldest grave: Tom Holubec, Nar 1830, zem 6 Listopodu 1902

            Marek Catholic Cemetery, Burleson County, Texas

            Oldest grave: E.H. Dotson, infant son of C. and V. Dotson, Jan 17,1876‐ Nov 21, 1876

            Snook Cemetery, Burleson County, Texas

            Oldest grave: Vlasta Pitner, 1885

            New Tabor Cemetery, Burleson County, Texas

            Oldest grave: Jan Škrabanek, July 7, 1888‐ July 11, 1888

            Frenstat (Christian) Cemetery, Burleson County, Texas

            Oldest grave: Rosalie Danchak, 1841‐ 4 rli 1903

            Holy Rosary Catholic Cemetery, Burleson County, Texas

            Oldest grave: Marie Marek, Apr 6, 1822‐ Nov 5, 1887

            New Tabor Brethren Cemetery, Burleson County, Texas

            Oldest grave: Jason G. Beasley, Born and Died 1973

            Cooks Point Cemetery, Burleson County, Texas

            Oldest grave: Thomas F. Pecena, May 10,1919‐Feb 28,1942

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 3, 2011
              Clayton Library has a bunch of great programs this month. All are free, but they ask for reservations, so they know how many to plan for.

              Funeral records: the final event
              Saturday, October 22, 2011 3:00–4:00PM
              Wednesday, October 12, 2011 3:00-4:00PM
              The final event of a life generates final records of a person's life. Various records will be discussed including digital collections, printed, and microfilmed sources as well as alternatives to traditional burials. Reservations required, please call 832-393-2600. Adults/Teens.

              Mending and repair: The Book Doctors are in
              Tuesday, October 25, 2011 2:00-4:00PM
              Do you know how to open a book properly? Fix loose or torn pages? Ever spilled water on your favorite novel? Want to learn some quick fixes that you can easily do at home? We can help. Bring your torn or tattered book in need of repair and join the Book Doctors for our basic mending and repair class. Handouts will be provided, class size limited to 10. Reservations required, please call 832-393-2600. Adults/Teens.

              A nation of immigrants: US naturalization and genealogy
              Saturday, October 29, 2011, 3:00-4:00PM
              In this talk we will discuss the history of naturalization laws and requirements in the United States and how this affected your ancestors and their naturalizations. We will also discuss using naturalization records for genealogical research, what you may find, and how to find it. Reservations required, please call 832-393-2600. Adults/Teens.

              Other events at Clayton

              Lineage Day
              Saturday, October 8, 2011 10:30AM-4:00PM
              Visit with representatives from many genealogical and historical lineage societies to discuss their organizations. Get some hints that can help you identify those ancestors for entry into those societies. Representatives include, but are not limited to, the Daughters of the American Revolution, Sons of the Republic of Texas, and Cherokee Nation. No reservations needed. Adult/Teens.

              Tracing your relative's Masonic heritage
              Wednesday, October 19, 2011 6:00–7:30PM
              Genealogists often become curious about Freemasonry because of a mention in a relative's obituary or from finding a Masonic emblem on a gravestone. Sometimes a family knows of the Masonic connection but for others, it is a bit of a surprise. This lecture will provide you with information regarding Masonic records and what information that might be useful to genealogists. Reservations required, please call 832-393-2600. Adults/Teens.

              FamilySearch online learning: US courthouse research
              Thursday, October 20, 2011 3:00-4:00PM
              Courthouses are places where you can find answers to genealogical problems. They are a rich source of written records created as a result of the laws, the time period, and personal activities of your ancestors. The steps delineated throughout this course will assist you to be more effective as you visit courthouses in your search for genealogical information. Join noted genealogist Christine Rose as she walks us through a virtual courthouse. Reservations required, please call 832-393-2600. Adults/Teens.

              Family History Month book sale
              October 1-29, 2011
              Join us for that one special month when Clayton makes its duplicate family history books available for sale. These are books that have been given to us that are already in our collection. The sale books have never been in our collection.

              LDS Microfilm/Microfiche Rental news!
              The Family History Center in Salt Lake City has a new program where film and fiche can be ordered online from any computer that has access to the Internet. This program is currently active and replaces the former method of ordering microprint. See www.familysearch.org/films for instructions. If you click on "Ordering Help", you can read a User's Guide.

            • jesenwei@mdanderson.org
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 3, 2011