Fw: [TexasCzechs] Pamatnik Book

  • FREDERICK J JANECEK
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 29, 2011

      Pamatnik Book
       By clicking on the page one will be linked to that page.

      Accordingly, the book was published by "The National Printing Company" of Rosenburg, Texas.  (I doubt if they exist anymore.) The book was put together by Joseph Bunata fo Ennis, Texas.  (See "Credits" on page 2)

      On page 195 in the Runge picture is my (our) grandfather Jindrich (Henry) Janecek.  He is in the center of the picture with the grey hair and grey moustache.  He lived near Charco in Goliad County about 12 miles South of Runge in Karnes County.

      It was interesting to discover that my grandfather was involved in an organization that gathered funds and promoted the formation of the county of Czechoslovakia after World War I when Austria – Hungry cease as an empire and Bohemia (Czech Lands), Moravia, and Slovakia were freed.

      Thanks for the posts to the Texas Czech group on the Pamatnik Book.

      In peace,

      Fred

    • FREDERICK J JANECEK
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 30, 2012

[...]

        Fred (I was born in the house where my grandfather was living at the time of the picture.)

        Fri, November 30, 2012 10:26:02 AM
        [TexasCzechs] Re: Pamatnik Project
        From:
        Mike <mike.hejl@...>
        Add to Contacts
        To:TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com

        In an article by Miloslav Rechcigl, Jr. titled "Czech America in the Struggle for Independent Czechoslovakia," the "Ceske narodni sdruzeni" (C.N.S.) was translated as "Czech National Alliance." See the eight paragraph in the article at: http://www.svu2000.org/cs-america/for-czechoslovakia/

        I found many references to the C.N.S. translated as both the Czech National Alliance and the Czech National Association. I'm not sure why Miloslav and many others chose to translate "sdruzeni" as "Alliance" instead of "Association." Perhaps that was an acceptable alternate translation during World War I when the C.N.S. was active. To me, "Alliance" sounds a bit better.

        The "Ceske narodni sdruzeni," or "Czech National Alliance (C.N.S.)," was formed by Czech-Americans in Chicago,Illinois in the early days of World War I. The main purpose of the C.N.S.was to raise funds to aid the European Czechs and Slovaks in their struggle for independence, which was deemed to be achievable after the probable defeat of the Austro-Hungarian Empire at the end of World War I. The C.N.S. was a temporary organization that had about 350 branches throughout the United States that collectively raised a very large amount of money. The numerous branches in Texas raised about $60,000. A history of Č.N.S. efforts in Texas (in Czech), including a list of the various Texas branches, can be found in the commemorative Č.N.S. "Pamatnik" album. This album, published in 1920 and written entirely in Czech, can be accessed using an internet search for "Pamatnik Project." This album can also be viewed at many libraries in Texas.

        C.N.S. branches were formed at both Shiner and nearby Vlastenec in Lavaca County. Vlastenec was a farming area with many Czech families that was centered about four miles southwest of Shiner.

        Mike Hejl