Re: [TexasCzechs] Svrcek vs Sefcik

  • Sir John
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2011
      Vallerie,

      I have 13 Sefciks in my Mikeska genealogy data, and best I recall, obtained the information from Sefcik kin in the Temple, TX area maybe in 1993 time.  How about a first name you are looking for or maybe male/female?  Don't think have addresses, but did see a Joe Sefcik having passed in the Temple, TX area.

      Sir John, Earl of Berkshire

      From: vmichna <vmichna@...>
      Subject: [TexasCzechs] Svrcek vs Sefcik
      To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, June 29, 2011, 6:15 PM

      I was looking for Sefciks in the Granger area in 1900 with no luck, when I came across the name SVRCEK. Is this name related to SEFCIK? I am curious since I have no good leads on the Sefciks so far.

      Valorie Michna
      Researching Michna, Holain, Sasin, and Pitlik

    • vmichna
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 3, 2011
        I know there are Sefciks in the Seaton area, but there was also a Sefcik family in Taylor and a Sefcik married into my family at Granger in the early 1900s. I am interested in the Sefcik that married a relative in Granger, but I have had no luck finding him or his family before his marriage.

        Right now I need to know if the name SVRCEK could be related to SEFCIK. I found an Annie SVRCEK in the 1900 census living in Granger. I am trying to find the parents of Edward SEFCIK, b Fayette County, to parents Joseph and Annie. Without looking at actual church records, I cannot be sure the two are related. Any info about the SVRCEKs and SEFCIKs from Granger or Taylor would be useful in unraveling this.

        Thanks,

        Valorie

        --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, robert trampota <rtrampota@...> wrote:

        > Hello Valerie,
        >
        > There are several Sefcik families in the Temple and Seaton areas.
        > Hope this helps,  Robert Trampota

      • Carroll Warschak
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 3, 2011
                In my opinion, if the Sefciks and Svrceks were related it would have been through marriage.
                I think that it is highly unlikely that one of the names evolved to become the other name.
                (Now, my name is a different situation  - Varak to Warack to Warsak to Warshak to Warschak, along with a couple of
                additional spelling variations along the way.)

          I know there are Sefciks in the Seaton area, but there was also a Sefcik family in Taylor and a Sefcik married into my family at Granger in the early 1900s. I am interested in the Sefcik that married a relative in Granger, but I have had no luck finding him or his family before his marriage.

          Right now I need to know if the name SVRCEK could be related to SEFCIK. I found an Annie SVRCEK in the 1900 census living in Granger. I am trying to find the parents of Edward SEFCIK, b Fayette County, to parents Joseph and Annie. Without looking at actual church records, I cannot be sure the two are related. Any info about the SVRCEKs and SEFCIKs from Granger or Taylor would be useful in unraveling this.

          Thanks,

          Valorie

          --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, robert trampota <rtrampota@...> wrote:

          > Hello Valerie,
          >
          > There are several Sefcik families in the Temple and Seaton areas.
          > Hope this helps,  Robert Trampota

        • Patricia Cosper
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 3, 2011
            I know someone who might know the answer---my deceased mother's cousin has lived in Granger all his life.  You might contact him and let him know I told you to contact him.
            His name is Edward 'Ed' Dykowski.  He knows just about everyone in Granger. He also has a sister Valeria Cepak and her family in Taylor. His grandmother (Fannie Driska) and and my maternal grandfather (Adolph Driska) were sister/brother.
            Pat (Boenisch) Cosper

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 4, 2011
              Thanks, Pat. Also, I wanted to let you know that when the Northern Bohemian archives come online, I was going to research all of the folks from Heinersdorf including the Schwertners, Tschoerners, and Bayers. When I get my database updated, I'll get get back to you.

              Thanks for the lead,

              Valorie

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 4, 2011
                I am looking for Edward Sefcik, b 1877 in Fayette, TX, d 1960, Rosebud, Falls. He married Cecil Sasin in Granger in 1902. That is all I know. I think his parents were named Josef and Annie (according to a marriage record). There are Sefciks (Joe and Josephine and children)in Taylor, but I have found no connection between them and Edward Sefcik. I can't even find an obit listing Josephine's children and Edward Sefcik's parents/siblings aren't listed in his obit. I keep finding dead ends everywhere I search.

                Valorie

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 6, 2011
                  Valerie:
                  Do you have paperwork entitled "The Life of Bernard Schwertner and His Family", which was apparently given out to reunion attendees in 1961 in Rowena TX. I could send you a copy.
                  It's a short story of Bernard Schwertner, DOB/4/24/1823, at Heinersdorf a/Tafelficht. Growing up he was known as "Forester Franz's Bernard". He married a Franziska Neumann, had 7 kids--Frank, Edward, Gustav, Adolf, Wilhelm, Franziska, Josef. After the death of his wife following Josef's birth in 1867, he remarried a Theresia Baier. had 2 more kids--Stefan, Theresia. Second wife died, he married #3--Franziska Huebner Blumrick, no kids. Bernard died 8/22/1901. Etc, etc.
                  I also have the Czech newpaper version.

                  Pat Cosper