Books

  • FMikula@aol.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 17, 2000
      Dear EGroup,

      The information many of you are providing about books re: Texas Czechs is
      most valuable. One of the current projects of the Czech Heriatage Society of
      Texas is to identify as many of these books as possible and create an idex of
      such to be put both on hard copy and on the net.... of special interest are
      old out of print and privately published works.... we know that there is a
      tremendous amont of info out there, much of which is unknown to the majority
      of "starter" researchers.. a class into which I put myself.
      So, keep that info coming in and hopefully in a year, maybe less, we can have
      a fairly comprehensive index. It is heartening to see how many people are
      becoming very interested in resurrecting their family soties and histories.
      Sharing is what is making it so much easier and productive ... team work can
      produce fantastic results... and the egroupers are forming a great team!
      Great going group!
      Na shledanou.
      Frank
      CHS President
    • Richard Garza
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 3 11:22 AM
        Listers:
        There was a request for info on Wright, Wm. F and his book "Serf,
        Seigneur, and Sovereign" published by Univ of MN Press, 1966.
        The U of MN Press' URL is: http://www.upress.umn.edu

        The URL for Assn of American University Presses is:
        http://aaup.uchicago.edu/

        Do a search on Czech, Bohemia & Moravia and you will get an interesting
        list.
        Plus, some books even cheaper than through Amazon.

        Rick Garza
        Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
      • J.D.K. Chipps
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 27, 2000
          If anyone has "Czech Records of Williamson County - Helen Layman", could
          you see if there is anything on the KOTRLA-VITEK line?

          TIA

          J.D. Kotrla-Chipps

          --
          ARANDELING,ARMSTRONG,BLAZEK,BOWNE,BUCKMASTER,BURDG,BURDGE,CHAPIN
          DALRYMPLE,DERELL,GODFREY,HARBOUR,HOLBROOK,KAMENCAK,KINGMAN
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 2, 2000
            I have looked through the Czech Records of Williamson County and find nothing
            on your Kotrla/Vitek relatives.
            I did find in the " Czech Families in Williamson Co. Texas in 1910 ":
            Henry Kotrla age 24 married 1 time born in Texas
            Fannie (Vitek) Kotrla age 24 married 1 time born in Texas
            Dwelling No. 321 - Family #334

            On every page of this book it says: Name of each person whose place of abode
            on June 1, 1900 was in this famly. So, it appears to be 1900 Census....????
            I just received this book and had not really looked at it till tonight. We
            must clarify what year it really was.

            Nancy Machu
          • Steve Alvarez
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 10, 2001
              Here I am at work it is 11:30 pm and I am bored, so I was looking
              through some of the books at the websites, I believe it was Lois told
              us about. Thought I would post some of the books to group, in case
              someone is interested in the book.

              Ledbetter Jr., Robert E.: DIARY OF ORCENETH ASBURY FISHER ; Austin,
              TX: Robert E. Ledbetter, Jr., cr 1990. 1st ed, VG/no dj, red cl bds
              w/gilt ltrs,, no dj, 8vo, 154 pp, The story of a pioneer Methodist
              preacher. Dr. Fisher was a pioneer Methodist minister in Indiana &
              Illinois before visiting Brazoria County, Texas in 1839. He was
              filled w/missionary zeal & felt that he had been called to minister
              to the needs of the Protestant colonists in rugged land of the
              Republic of Texas. He was a minister in the West Texas Conference of
              the Methodist Church., photos, HB, biography preacher methodist
              minister missionary Texas genealogy Pastor (UR#:BOOKS011631I)
              Offered for sale by Curio Corner Books at US$18.75

              Steve Alvarez
            • J.D.K. Chipps
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 23, 2001
                Does anyone have a copy of, "History of Czechs in America"?

                I would like to find out if my family is in it, before I spend $45 for
                the book.

                --
                ARANDELING,ARMSTRONG,BLAZEK,BOWNE,BUCKMASTER,BURDG,BURDGE,CHAPIN
                DALRYMPLE,DERELL,GODFREY,HARBOUR,HOLBROOK,KAMENCAK,KINGMAN
                KOTRLA,KOTROLA,MACHALEC,MCNIEL,PAXSON,PONCIK,POWYES,READ,RHODEN-
                BAUGH,SANUDERS,SAUNDERS,SLAVIK,SMITH,TRACY(TRACEY),VITEK,WILLIS
              • Willie Petruy
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 24, 2001
                  "J.D.K. Chipps" wrote:

                  > Does anyone have a copy of, "History of Czechs in America"?
                  >
                  > I would like to find out if my family is in it, before I spend $45 for
                  > the book.
                  >
                  > I do and I looked up the czech names on your list and did not find any
                  > that lived in Texas. There are some from Ill., Iowa, Nebraska, Pen.,
                  > etc. Carla Petruy
                • J.D.K. Chipps
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 24, 2001
                    Thank you Ma'am, you just saved me $45.

                    Willie Petruy wrote:

                    > "J.D.K. Chipps" wrote:
                    >
                    > > Does anyone have a copy of, "History of Czechs in America"?
                    > >
                    > > I would like to find out if my family is in it, before I spend $45 for
                    > > the book.
                    > >
                    > > I do and I looked up the czech names on your list and did not find any
                    > > that lived in Texas. There are some from Ill., Iowa, Nebraska, Pen.,
                    > > etc. Carla Petruy

                    ARANDELING,ARMSTRONG,BLAZEK,BOWNE,BUCKMASTER,BURDG,BURDGE,CHAPIN
                    DALRYMPLE,DERELL,GODFREY,HARBOUR,HOLBROOK,KAMENCAK,KINGMAN
                    KOTRLA,KOTROLA,MACHALEC,MCNIEL,PAXSON,PONCIK,POWYES,READ,RHODEN-
                    BAUGH,SANUDERS,SAUNDERS,SLAVIK,SMITH,TRACY(TRACEY),VITEK,WILLIS
                  • Matt Cross
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 22, 2009
                      I received my very large order from Old Homestead Historic Publishing tonight:

                      Lavaca County Cemeteries
                      Wharton County Cemeteries
                      Documented Deaths Lavaca County, 1846-1859
                      Death in Print Vols I and II
                      Lavaca County in 1890 Vols I and II
                      We are Gathered Here: Lavaca County Marriage Records 1846-1869

                      I think I'm insane, but I did just receive a master's degree in psychology.

                      Matt Cross
                      lennonluv@...

                      Hotmail® goes with you. Get it on your BlackBerry or iPhone.
                    • Sandi
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 22, 2009
                        Soooo we can all now ask YOU for the information we seek, and since you think you are insane, even with having just received a master's degree in psychology, you will gladly search every resource and instantly relay the desired information to each and every individual requesting said information without hesitation or renumeration nor requests of any sort in return. Wow!!!

                        Insanity is doing the same thing the same way expecting different results. . . so. . . now that you're Masterly Degreed, how are you doing with your insanity levels?  Of course none of the rest of us think we are insane so therefore you are the only one who is sane, according to other psychology theories. Perhaps you can evaluate and elaborate . . .

                        IOW, KEWL acquisiton!

                        Sandi Beveridge
                        Jesus, the sweetest Name I know

                        I received my very large order from Old Homestead Historic Publishing tonight:

                        Lavaca County Cemeteries
                        Wharton County Cemeteries
                        Documented Deaths Lavaca County, 1846-1859
                        Death in Print Vols I and II
                        Lavaca County in 1890 Vols I and II
                        We are Gathered Here: Lavaca County Marriage Records 1846-1869

                        I think I'm insane, but I did just receive a master's degree in psychology.

                        Matt Cross
                        lennonluv@hotmail. com

                        Hotmail® goes with you. Get it on your BlackBerry or iPhone.
                      • Czech Heritage
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 22, 2009
                          Matt,

                          Let us know if and when you can do lookups.

                          Melissa Eckhoff =)

                        • darlenbaker@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 23, 2009
                            Matt,

                            You will never be bored again.  We have lots of ancestors that need finding.

                            darlene baker

                          • Sir John
                            Message 13 of 19 , May 23, 2009
                              Congratulations on the degree, Matt.

                              Sir John, Earl of Berkshire

                              I received my very large order from Old Homestead Historic Publishing tonight:

                              Lavaca County Cemeteries
                              Wharton County Cemeteries
                              Documented Deaths Lavaca County, 1846-1859
                              Death in Print Vols I and II
                              Lavaca County in 1890 Vols I and II
                              We are Gathered Here: Lavaca County Marriage Records 1846-1869

                              I think I'm insane, but I did just receive a master's degree in psychology.

                              Matt Cross
                              lennonluv@hotmail. com

                              Hotmail® goes with you. Get it on your BlackBerry or iPhone.
                            • Lois Petter Pereira
                              Message 14 of 19 , May 23, 2009
                                You are not insane....you are a genealogist....also known as great hoarders
                                congrats on your degree...lois

                                Lois Petter Pereira

                                Message 15 of 19 , May 23, 2009
                                  A few years ago  a  "roast"  was held  at the city librairy,  for a  loved  doctor of
                                  Psychology,,  Dr. Geo  Constant,  who has since died.         The county judge   in his
                                  presentation    noted  that when Dr.  George  came to Victoria  lots of years ago,
                                  There was only one "crazy"  man   in town,  and everybody knew him,     but with in a year,
                                  Doctor Constant   had at least    a couple of  dozen  of them in the hospital.   I don't know.........
                                  Bernard

                                  ,,

                                  On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 9:27 PM, Matt Cross <lennonluv@...> wrote:

                                  I received my very large order from Old Homestead Historic Publishing tonight:

                                  Lavaca County Cemeteries
                                  Wharton County Cemeteries
                                  Documented Deaths Lavaca County, 1846-1859
                                  Death in Print Vols I and II
                                  Lavaca County in 1890 Vols I and II
                                  We are Gathered Here: Lavaca County Marriage Records 1846-1869

                                  I think I'm insane, but I did just receive a master's degree in psychology.

                                  Matt Cross
                                  lennonluv@...

                                  Hotmail® goes with you. Get it on your BlackBerry or iPhone.

                                • Terry G. Tate
                                  Message 16 of 19 , May 28, 2009
                                    Darlene,

                                           Hello! My name is Terry Tate, I have the Baker line in my family as well. Just wanted to find out where abouts your people are from? My family surnames are Tate,Raska,Dove,Norsworthy,Scott, Baker,Harper.

                                    Thanks,
                                    Terry G.Tate

                                    You will never be bored again.  We have lots of ancestors that need finding.

                                    darlene baker

                                  • Paula Foster
                                    Message 17 of 19 , May 28, 2009
                                      I have a line of Bakers from France to Nova Scotia Canada to Chicago/Oak Park Illinois.  paulasmaggie

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jan 20, 2010
                                        If anyone could recommend books in English about the Nazi invasion in Moravia and what it was like to buy on line, please let me know.  Now, my curiosity is peaked.  I have a good idea from other people on line what it was like for our families before WWI, now I would like to know what it was like during WWII.  paulasmaggie
                                      • Paula Foster
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Sep 26, 2011
                                          One of the very best is Invitation to Cat Spring
                                          From European Tyranny to Freedom to Civil War
                                          by Mary Frances Chupick Bennett
                                          We're Czechs by Robert L. Skrabanek
                                          Some of the Counties like Burleson and Lee County have books for sale.
                                          paulasmaggie