Fig Jelly - Jam recipe

  • Allen Livanec
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 26, 2011
      I love the taste of figs. A few grocery stores stock fig jelly, jam. For some
      reason  lemon is always added to the recipe. To me it changes the taste. Is
      there some reason for adding lemon? Why not just leave out the lemon? When I can
      get some fresh figs. I want to make some fig jelly without lemon. Anyone have a
      recipe?

      Allen Livanec
      Pearland, TX.
    • Buster Mitchell
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 27, 2011
        Mom always made her fig preserves with strawberry jello mixed in... mmmmmmmmmm!

        Mom had a fig tree (several of them) that she called a "Celeste" fig... anybody know where you could get that variety?

        Buster

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 27, 2011
           Yes I have had fig preserves with strawberry added and it tastes good. I want the fig taste not strawberries.

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 27, 2011
            I found this site online.  Sounds like a good simple recipe.  I used basically the same recipe to make Dewberry Jelly and it turned out great and did make six of the 8 oz. jars.
            http://personnellement.net

            "tommygirl"
            Tommy Lastovica

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 27, 2011
              Ok, I found this recipe, without strawberries in it.  I can only assume the lemon juice is to retain the color of the fig, like you put on fresh fruit to keep it from browning?  Maybe.
              I have attached the recipe and found it on this site :  http://www.recipe3k.com

              "tommygirl"
              Tommy Lastovica

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 30, 2011
                I get my fig jelly/preserves from "Amish Furniture in Texas", made in the Amish country in Ohio.  Besides furniture, the store sells a wide selection of jelly/preserves (pear, fig, apple butter, dutch apple, peach, grape, raspberry, blackberry, & more, and best of all--tomato), canned/jarred fruit (peaches, apples, pears & more), vegetables (asparagus, sauerkraut, green beans, pickled beets/okra & more), home-made soaps, Jellies, fruits, & vegetables prices start at 3.95 a pint jar, vegetables at 4.95 a pint jar, more for a quart.
                But of course, you'd have to travel to San Antonio to get all this good tasting food. The store is located on Loop 410 NW near exit West Ave, on the N-NW side of Loop 410 (outside the loop, facing the loop).

                Pat Cosper

                Message 7 of 8 , May 1, 2011
                   Patricia. Does the fig jelly have lemon added?

                  Allen

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 14, 2011
                    Well, if so, it's not visible.
                    I remember making fig preserves with lemon slices; also with strawberry jello.
                    I like all kinds of figs.