Re: pickle recipe

  • jesenwei@mdanderson.org
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 1, 2011
      These recipes came from my grandmother's recipe box. Some were handwritten (h), some typed (t). They aren't very detailed, but fun to read. You may recognize names from the Fayetteville area.

      Couser Pickles (t)

      Boil 1 gallon water; let cool. Add 1 cup vinegar, ¾ cup salt, 2 cloves garlic, dill, and grape leaves.

      Albina Klimek's Dill Pickles (h)

      1 quart water
      1 Tbsp. salt

      Wash and quarter cucumbers. In canning jar, put dill, clove garlic, (hot pepper if desired). Pack a layer of cucumbers and a few small onions. Repeat and cover with brine. Screw top on tight.

      Dill Pickles (t)

      Wash cucumbers. Put dill in jar and fill with cucumbers. Boil 4 cups water, 1 cup vinegar and ½ cup salt. Fill jars with hot brine and seal.

      Variations: Add 1 clove garlic or 1 hot pepper, or both per quart.

      Dill Pickles (Kvašaky) (h)

      For 1 quart: Dill, garlic, onions, grape fruit or leaves optional. Fill jars with cucumbers. Mix 2 Tbsp. salt, 1 tsp. vinegar with water. Fill jar and let stand 4 days, then refrigerate.

      Lad Vitek's Dill Pickles (Kvašaky) (h)

      For 1 quart: Dill, garlic, onions, grape fruit or leaves. Fill jars with cucumbers. Mix 2 Tbsp. salt with water and pour over cucumbers. Let stand 10 days in dark place, then refrigerate.

      Dill Pickles (Okurky s Koprem)

      Grape leaves
      4 quarts water
      1 cup vinegar
      ¾ cup canning salt
      Dill
      garlic buttons (3/4 per quart)
      small red peppers (1-2 per gallon
      ¼ tsp. alum per quart

      Boil water, vinegar and salt. Cool. Place dill, grape leaves, garlic and red peppers in sterile jars. Pack washed cucumbers over spices. Pour cooled vinegar mixture over cucumbers. Add alum. Seal with hot caps and store in cool place for 6 weeks.

      Kvašene (kvašení=fermentation) (h)

      ½ cup vinegar per gallon of stuffed pickles
      4 Tbsp. salt
      Garlic
      Red pepper

      Lorene's Kvašene (h)

      "To a gallon of pickles, boil together ¼ cup vinegar, ¼ cup salt, ¼ cup sugar, dill and garlic (hot peppers if desired). Pour over cucumbers."

      Pickles (t)

      4 cups water
      2 cups vinegar
      ½ cup `ice cream' salt

      Put dill, clove of garlic and hot pepper in jar. Pack in pickles. Make brine and bring to full boil. Pour over to cover pickles.

      Mary Elizabeth Kucera's Pickles (c)

      Prepare a salt water brine of 9 cups water and 1 cup salt. Stir until salt is dissolved. Use 2 cups of this salt-water brine and 1 cup vinegar. Bring to a boil and pour over pickles which have been washed and packed into sterilized fruit jars. Add dill and 1 clove of garlic on the top of the pickles. Seal jars and store in cool place for about 3-4 weeks.

      Sour Pickles (h) (in Grandma Piwetz' handwriting, via Lillian Piwetz Krenek)

      Wash cucumbers, cut off stem ends. Put dill, pepper, and garlic in bottom of jars. Fill with cucumbers.

      Make brine:
      4 cups water
      1 cup vinegar
      ¼ cup salt

      Boil only until full boil. Pour into jars; hot seal.

      My Own Sweet Pickle Recipe (h)

      Cut up large cucumbers as desired. Make brine:
      1 cup sugar
      1 cup water
      1 cup vinegar
      1 tsp. celery seed
      1 tsp. mustard seed
      1 tsp. tumeric

      Cook all together. When boiling, put in cucumbers. Cook 10-15 minutes.

      Sweet Pickles (t)

      Wash, cut off ends of small pickles. Bring to full boil:
      2 cups water
      1 cup vinegar
      1 cup sugar
      Dill
      1 Tbsp. salt

      Put pickles into hot brine until pickles turn color or start to boil. Seal hot.

      Ten-Day Sweet Pickles (h)

      Wash and place 8 pounds cucumbers in crock. Combine 1 gallon boiling water and 1 cup salt, and pour over cucumbers. Let stand 3 days, then pour off water . Make a new mixture of 1 gallon boiled water and 2 Tbsp. alum, and pour over cucumbers. Let stand 3 days. [not clear if second mixture should be poured off.] Prepare brine mixture of 6 cups sugar, 5 cups vinegar, 2 Tbsp. cloves, a small stick of cinnamon and 1 Tbsp. celery seed. Boil brine mixture and pour over cucumbers. For the next 3 days, reheat this [brine only?] each morning and add 1 cup sugar each morning. On the 4th morning, heat the brine. Drop pickles in 1 quart at a time until hot, and pack hot into jars. Fill jars with brine and seal.

      --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Peggy Harmon <peggyharmon@...> wrote:

      > I would like any czech recipe.  The older the better.  Peggy

    • Elaine Malina
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 1, 2011

         Does anyone know how I can find out where in Burleson Co precinct #5 was located in 1930? I have found an Adamek family in that precinct and would like to know which direction from Caldwell they lived.

        Thanks for any help.
        Elaine Malina
        .

      • Anita Prazak
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 2, 2011
          You might check with the county clerk's office in Caldwell.

          Anita

          Sent from my iPhone
        • Paula Foster
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 2, 2011
            Also, you might google Burleson County Texas Genealogical Page and post a message to Gayle.  She has been very helpful in looking up items for me in the past.  paulasmaggie

            You might check with the county clerk's office in Caldwell.

            Anita

            Sent from my iPhone

          • Roland Beausoleil
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 3, 2011
              Elaine,

                  According to this site, Justice Precinct #5 for Burleson Co. was equated to Enumeration District (ED) 26-11 which was the BURLESON CO. CONVICT FARM.

                      Roland

              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 3, 2011
                After taking another look at this I think I mispoke the first time. The BURLESON CO. CONVICT FARM is probably in Enumeration District (ED) 26-11 but not all of it.

                    Roland

                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 3, 2011
                  I looked at this site and another one and it appears that the convict farm was located in precinct 5.  I haven't taken the time to look through the entire precinct 5 census to see if I could find it (just for curiosity).  The pages I have viewed only list farms/families.

                  Elaine

                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 3, 2011
                    So if it includes the poor farm, it's probably the area bordered by
                    hwy 36 on the west side, hwy 21 on the south and FM 2000 on the east
                    side; not sure what county rd would be the northern border

                    Anita in Caldwell

                    Sent from my iPhone
                  • Roland Beausoleil
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 4, 2011
                      Elaine,

                          Maybe you can find out where the convict farm was located and that will tell you where precinct #5 was.

                              Roland

                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 10, 2011

                          Dear Ty,

                          Is there a special ingredient or taste that it would have? I have my mother’s recipe, which she probably, but maybe not, got from either one of my Czech grandmothers.  I could ask her about its origin and then send it along if you would like. I think it is just a normal dill pickle recipe with dill, vinegar, sugar and canning salt. Oh, but the pickles are very good!

                          Diane

                          Diane Ashour

                          972-601-9751

                          ashour_23@...

                          Does anyone have a Czech recipe for dill pickles?

                          Thanks,

                          Ty

                        • Ty Wenglar
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 11, 2011
                            I'd love to have it.  Thanks.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 11, 2011

                              Mom says that this is from one of my Czech grandmothers.

                              Dill Pickles

                              4 c. water

                              1 c. vinegar

                              1 c. sugar

                              ¼ c. canning salt

                              cucumbers

                              dill

                              Bring water, vinegar, sugar and salt to a boil. Put a piece of dill in each hot sterilized canning jar. Put cucumbers in jars, packing tightly. Pour hot brine over cucumbers; seal jars. Process in hot water bath 3 minutes. This makes enough brine for about 3 quarts.

                              -- Bessie Kubicek Hellinger

                              Diane Ashour

                              Does anyone have a Czech recipe for dill pickles?

                              Thanks,

                              Ty

                            • Jim & Elaine Hicks
                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 12, 2011

                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 12, 2011

                                  This sounds very good, much like what my Czech mother would have done except she would have tossed in a few garlic cloves.
                                  Elaine Naiser Hicks

                                  Does anyone have a Czech recipe for dill pickles?

                                  Thanks,

                                  Ty

                                • Lydia Mousner
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 14, 2011
                                    This sounds more like sweet and sour pickles because of the amount of sugar.   The recipes I've seen for dill pickles do not call for sugar or at least not very much.
                                    Lydia