Sebesta family

  • Peggy Harmon
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 28, 2010
      Hello everyone, I am new to these boards.  I am researching Franz & Mary Sebesta who immigrated to Ross Prairie, Fayette Co. Tx about 1854-1857 from Zadverice, Moravia.  I understand they went to NY first, then to Texas.  They had children, Rozina (who married Anton Lauw(launs) who is my direct line.  Other siblings were Anna, Katerina, (all born in Moravia), Terezie, Alzbetta, Franciska (died at 8 mos) all being born in Texas. Rozina's birth mother was Maryna Nedbalek (who died in Czech) her parents were Josef Nedbalek and Rozina Mikeskov.  Her step mother Marie Holik raised her.  I have located them in some church records and census records online.  I have researched some 20 yrs on my family lines, and luckily other on geneaology boards I was able to locate some relatives. My German grandfathers (Lauw and Kech) both served in the 17th Texas Infantry, and have located some military records on them as well.  My maiden name is Giesalhart.  I currently live in New Braunfels, Texas.  I look forward to becoming active on the list and learning what I can about my Czech roots.

    • Katherine Horak Smith
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 29, 2010

        Welcome! I’m sure you’ll find many cousins on this site. I know I have!

        Kathy Horak Smith

      • lmhill0216
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 29, 2010
          Hi Peggy,
          I have several Sebestas in my tree, but am not sure if they are a match for yours. It'll be awhile before I'd be able to take a look, but if you want to check out my tree on Ancestry.com, just email me off-list and I'll send you the link.

          Lisa

          --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Peggy Harmon <peggyharmon@...> wrote:

          > Hello everyone, I am new to these boards.  I am researching Franz & Mary Sebesta who immigrated to Ross Prairie, Fayette Co. Tx about 1854-1857 from Zadverice, Moravia.  I understand they went to NY first, then to Texas.  They had children, Rozina (who married Anton Lauw(launs) who is my direct line.  Other siblings were Anna, Katerina, (all born in Moravia), Terezie, Alzbetta, Franciska (died at 8 mos) all being born in Texas. Rozina's birth mother was Maryna Nedbalek (who died in Czech) her parents were Josef Nedbalek and Rozina Mikeskov.  Her step mother Marie Holik raised her.  I have located them in some church records and census records online.  I have researched some 20 yrs on my family lines, and luckily other on geneaology boards I was able to locate some relatives. My German grandfathers (Lauw and Kech) both served in the 17th Texas Infantry, and have located some military records on them as well.  My maiden name is Giesalhart.  I
          > currently live in New Braunfels, Texas.  I look forward to becoming active on the list and learning what I can about my Czech roots.

        • Julie & Wes Matus
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 29, 2010
            Yes, good luck in your search.  Cemeteries are a good place to locate ancestors too if you have an idea where they might be buried.  None of your names are in our family that I know of.  Welcome!

            Julie & Wes Matus

            --
            Researching:
            Herzik, Korenek, Toman, Dybala
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 29, 2010
              Hi Lisa, I have someone already sharing some of my family information.  I will look at your list as well.  I plan this weekend to pull some of my books and refresh my memory as well.  I'd love to see your work on ancestry.com.  Thanks, Peggy

              I have several Sebestas in my tree, but am not sure if they are a match for yours. It'll be awhile before I'd be able to take a look, but if you want to check out my tree on Ancestry.com, just email me off-list and I'll send you the link.

              Lisa

              --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Peggy Harmon <peggyharmon@...> wrote:

              > Hello everyone, I am new to these boards.  I am researching Franz & Mary Sebesta who immigrated to Ross Prairie, Fayette Co. Tx about 1854-1857 from Zadverice, Moravia.  I understand they went to NY first, then to Texas.  They had children, Rozina (who married Anton Lauw(launs) who is my direct line.  Other siblings were Anna, Katerina, (all born in Moravia), Terezie, Alzbetta, Franciska (died at 8 mos) all being born in Texas. Rozina's birth mother was Maryna Nedbalek (who died in Czech) her parents were Josef Nedbalek and Rozina Mikeskov.  Her step mother Marie Holik raised her.  I have located them in some church records and census records online.  I have researched some 20 yrs on my family lines, and luckily other on geneaology boards I was able to locate some relatives. My German grandfathers (Lauw and Kech) both served in the 17th Texas Infantry, and have located some military records on them as well.  My maiden name is Giesalhart.  I
              > currently live in New Braunfels, Texas.  I look forward to becoming active on the list and learning what I can about my Czech roots.

            • Joyce Horn
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 30, 2010
                My mother was a Horak , my Grandparents were Hedwig Blaha and Wilham Horak , both born in Austria . Do not know where their parents were from . My mother , I dont know if she is alive  was  Eleanor Marie Emma Horak .

                Joyce

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 2, 2011

                  Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:19 am (PST)

                  Joyce wrote:

                  My mother was a Horak , my Grandparents were Hedwig Blaha and Wilham Horak ,
                  both born in Austria . Do not know where their parents were from . My mother , I
                  dont know if she is alive  was  Eleanor Marie Emma Horak .
                   Joyce

                  Joyce,

                       I am sorry I do not know anything about your family. If you have any more info, like birthdates, etc. I can see what I can find.

                  When I visited the Czech Republic , my Czech cousins and our tour guides made fun of my name. They told me that it was like my name was Kathy Smith Smith because Horak was as popular a name in the Czech Republic as Smith is in the United States . Horak means the people from the hills or mountains (hora), and there are many (horas) in the Czech Republic .  Therefore, there are many Horaks and you may not be related.