Old records

  • Joe Levek
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 29, 2010
      Hello,

      I need help in finding the birth records of my grandfather Matous Levek in the Czech Republic.  My mother said that he was born in Prague, but all his records here in the States, had him from the village of Svatoborice, which is located in the Hodonin okres, South Moravian Region. He was born September 21, 1887. His father was Vavrinec Levek and mother was Antonie Nenicky.

      Thank you,
      Joe Levek

    • Robert and Nancy
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 29, 2010
        Joe,

        It looks like the records for that area are are online here:  http://www.mza.cz/archiv-zprav.php

        There is a link on the left side of the page that looks like it will go to the archives.  It looks like this:

        When you click on it, it takes you to a sign in page.  So you would have to register first.  But when I go to the registration page, it is in Czech.  I can't read enough Czech to quickly figure out what I need to fill in.

        I won't be on my computer for most of the day tomorrow.  But I'll check in tomorrow evening to see if anyone else has been able to get to the archives and if not, I'll try to get that registration page translated and get registered and see if I can find the record.

        Nancy Schmidt
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 29, 2010
          There is a very easy translation program that can help you with these type problems--the name of the program is DICTER and can be downloaded from DICTER.NET (partner with Google so it is reliable)

          Once installed all you have to do is select the language you want to translate (like Czech to English).  When you need the translation run the DICTER program (I load it at start up so the icon is in my systems tray).  Highlight the word(s) you need to translate and click on CTRL/ALT and a pop up window appears with the translation.

          Can't translate everything but much better than nothing.

          It should help with registration and use of the data.

          Gilbert Bohuslav

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 30, 2010
            Joe, I was able to find the Brno archives and get registered for the site using the instructions on the page that T. J. Slansky sent to you:  https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Czech_Republic_Church_Books_from_the_Brno_Regional_Archive

            I was not able to find your grandfather's birth record because the birth records that are available online for that particular village only go through 1874.  But you are on the right track -- your Leveks did come from that village.  It looks like they lived in House #60.

            I found the death record for your great-grandmother Antonie Levek.  She died on February 2, 1916 at the age of 52 years, 8 months, 28 days.  From notes made in the record, she was born on May 4, 1863 in Vlkos and was married on April 27, 1880 also in Vlkos.  There is not a + sign next to your great-grandfather's name in the record so he was most likely still alive at the time she died.  The death records go through 1923 and his death record was not in the index through that date.  This is Antonie Levek's death record:

            This is your great-grandparents' marriage record from the village of Vlkos:

            And this is your great-grandfather's birth record from Svatoborice.  He was born on January 21, 1856.

            I hope this helps.  That's all I could find in a couple of hours and I don't have enough free time to do any more than this :-)

            Nancy Schmidt

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 1, 2010
              I forgot to mention that I also found a death record for Vavrince Levek who would have been a brother to your grandpa.  He died on February 2, 1882 at the age of 6 months, 26 days.

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 1, 2010
                Nancy,
                Thanks for taking the time to find those records on my family.  I had all of them with the exception of the marriage record.  I hadn't given that a thought to find the marriage record, since I have been searching for those elusive birth records of granddad Matous Levek.  I really want to have the proof of where he was really born.  For some reason, the records that my mother had, states that he was born in Prague.

                I guess the birth records are not on line for that year just yet.  If you ever see them come on line, please notify me, just in case that I don't look often enough.

                Joe Levek

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 6, 2010

                  Thanks Gilbert!  I'll give this a try.

                  Nancy Schmidt

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 6, 2010
                    I'm glad I could help.  Wish we could have found the birth record also :-)

                    Nancy Schmidt