family tree maker 2011

  • Lois Petter Pereira
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 29, 2010
      I recently purchased it,installed it and finally got it to download my tree today. It took 3 days. I was playing with it and noticed it was giving the wrong family relationships. It showed one person a 1st cousin twice removed to someone that wasn't even related to them. I totally removed, shot off a hot email to the company but I am mentioning it to you so you are aware of this. I am keeping FTM 16 because I am happy with it but I wanted the new bells and whistles. lois

      Lois Petter Pereira
    • Lydia Mousner
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 29, 2010

        FTM 2011 has not given me those problems.  I've had it less than a month and am still getting used to it.  When I installed the 2011, it loaded my tree with no problems.   The format is very different from Version 16 but so far it has been working good for me.  Do you have Windows 7 on your computer?  Not sure if that makes a difference or not.   I do know that with FTM 2010 there was a patch that was needed to make it compatible with Windows 7 but don't know about FTM 2011.

        I hope it works out for you because it does have a lot of nice features.  Good luck.
        Lydia

        I recently purchased it,installed it and finally got it to download my tree today. It took 3 days. I was playing with it and noticed it was giving the wrong family relationships. It showed one person a 1st cousin twice removed to someone that wasn't even related to them. I totally removed, shot off a hot email to the company but I am mentioning it to you so you are aware of this. I am keeping FTM 16 because I am happy with it but I wanted the new bells and whistles. lois

        Lois Petter Pereira

      • Elaine Malina
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 29, 2010

          What are some of the new features in FTM 2011?  I have 2009 and wondered if it is worth purchasing the newest version. I haven't upgraded to Windows 7 and still have Vista 64 bit.

          Thanks for any info.
          Elaine

          FTM 2011 has not given me those problems.  I've had it less than a month and am still getting used to it.  When I installed the 2011, it loaded my tree with no problems.   The format is very different from Version 16 but so far it has been working good for me.  Do you have Windows 7 on your computer?  Not sure if that makes a difference or not.   I do know that with FTM 2010 there was a patch that was needed to make it compatible with Windows 7 but don't know about FTM 2011.

          I hope it works out for you because it does have a lot of nice features.  Good luck.
          Lydia

          .

        • Cindy Neal
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 30, 2010

            I upgraded from 2009 to 2011, and personally don't see that much difference.  There are a few new reports.  If you use that feature a lot, you might think it worth the upgrade.  It runs much slower for me, and I can't figure out why.  It's very frustrating and I'm now at the point where I cannot move back to 2009.  I also have Vista 64 bit.  I would hold off until they do a couple of updates to it before ordering.  Wish I had :)

            Cindy

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 30, 2010
                The newer FTM version does not seem to make my computer run slower but I have Windows 7.  Not sure if that is a factor or not as I am not a computer expert or even close.   I try to keep backups of my files just in case something doesn't work.

              It can be frustrating.
              Lydia

              I upgraded from 2009 to 2011, and personally don't see that much difference.  There are a few new reports.  If you use that feature a lot, you might think it worth the upgrade.  It runs much slower for me, and I can't figure out why.  It's very frustrating and I'm now at the point where I cannot move back to 2009.  I also have Vista 64 bit.  I would hold off until they do a couple of updates to it before ordering.  Wish I had :)

              Cindy

              What are some of the new features in FTM 2011?  I have 2009 and wondered if it is worth purchasing the newest version. I haven't upgraded to Windows 7 and still have Vista 64 bit.

              Thanks for any info.
              Elaine

            • vmichna
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 30, 2010
                I too have had concerns about upgrading, but have held off because I don't want to lose all of my work in FTM 2005. I tried FTM 2010 and it wouldn't even load up on my parent's new computer, so I returned and decided to stick with FTM 2005 until something better came along.

                I run Windows XP still and don't want to buy a new computer in order to install new software. I know most of us aren't computer experts, but I am still not sure what new genealogy software to trust. I have too much work involved to lose it all to a software glitch. Does anyone have some sound advise on this subject? I wonder because many of the reviews for FTM 2010 were just terrible.

                Valorie

                --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Lydia Mousner <lmousner@...> wrote:

                > The newer FTM version does not seem to make my computer run slower but I have
                > Windows 7. Not sure if that is a factor or not as I am not a computer expert or
                > even close. I try to keep backups of my files just in case something doesn't
                > work.
                >
                > It can be frustrating.
                > Lydia

              • Lois Petter Pereira
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 1, 2010
                  I use windows XP, I finally got it to load when I split up my old FTM 16. I have  not quite 32,000 people in my tree. I assume the size was the problem but what got me was the wrong relationship. I ended up removing it and just using FTM 16 since it didn't give me wrong relationships. And for those who ask why so many people....I do research for other people and when I spend days or weeks on it I incorporate into my tree and then my Orsaks that I am searching for takes up a lot of people....lois

                  Lois Petter Pereira