Zabnu, Moravia

  • Valorie Michna
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2010
      Is Zabnu the same as Zabreh, a village west of Ostrava, Moravia?  I keep seing Zabnu and Zabreh in the records from Stara Bela and was wondering if they were the same place.

      Thanks for clearing up the confusion,

      Valorie Michna

    • Joe Janecka
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2010
        Zabreh is a small town due west of Ostrava.  Zabreh is also a borough or district of the city of Ostrava. The two are not related. I never heard of a town called Zabnu.  Zabnu is a Czech verb meaning "I will kill"  :-))

        Joe

        Is Zabnu the same as Zabreh, a village west of Ostrava, Moravia?  I keep seing Zabnu and Zabreh in the records from Stara Bela and was wondering if they were the same place.

        Thanks for clearing up the confusion,

        Valorie Michna

      • vmichna
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2, 2010
          Thanks, for clarifying. I will look at my records again and see if I can tease more details out of them. So the next question: In records from the second half of the 1800s how do I know if Zabreh refers to the village or the city district?

          Valorie

          --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Janecka" <joejanecka@...> wrote:

          > Zabreh is a small town due west of Ostrava. Zabreh is also a borough or district of the city of Ostrava. The two are not related. I never heard of a town called Zabnu. Zabnu is a Czech verb meaning "I will kill" :-))
          >
          > Joe

        • Joe Janecka
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 2, 2010
            Good question.  If it has more information about the name, that would help.  "Zabreh nad Odrou" would be the borough of Ostrava.  Or it may be listed as: "Ostrava V. Zabreh"  (Don't ask me what the "V" stands for.)  I always thought my dad was born in the town of Zabreh until I saw his birth certificate, a portion of which I have attached.

            Joe

            Thanks, for clarifying. I will look at my records again and see if I can tease more details out of them. So the next question: In records from the second half of the 1800s how do I know if Zabreh refers to the village or the city district?

            Valorie

            --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Janecka" <joejanecka@...> wrote:

            > Zabreh is a small town due west of Ostrava. Zabreh is also a borough or district of the city of Ostrava. The two are not related. I never heard of a town called Zabnu. Zabnu is a Czech verb meaning "I will kill" :-))
            >
            > Joe

          • Carolyn Heinsohn
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 2, 2010
              Zabreh nad Odrou, founded in 1409, has had multiple names throughout the centuries that reflect its location - at one time it was in Silesia, then its name was Germanized by the Austrian Habsburgs, and now its present location is in Moravia: Zabreh nad (on the) Odrou (River), was known as Zabreh an der (on the) Oder, Zabrech, Zabrzeh, Zabrzech, Heinrichsdorf, Heynrichsdorf, Heynreichsdorf, Hynczendorf, Hinczendorf, and Sabrze. From 1850 to 1946, it was considered Moravska Ostrava; in 1945, it was considered Ostrava-zapad (west Ostrava); since 1949, it's been considered a part of Ostrava. (Turek, Dr. Adolf. Mistopisny Rejstrik obci Severomoravskeho kraje, Vol II M-Z; Opava, 1974.)

              Ostrava V. Zabreh possibly means Zabreh ve (in) Ostrava.

              Zabnu is probably Zaben (hajek over the Z and n) in the district of Frydek-Mistek. It has also been known as Zabejn, Zabna, Zabny, Zabno, Zabina, Ziabna, Zibina, Schaben, Schabna, Schabina. Perhaps its use in a sentence, i.e., following a preposition such as "of" or "from", would have changed Zabna to Zabnu. From 1836-1918, it was known as Zabna. (Same source as above)

              Hopefully, this will be helpful.

              Carolyn Heinsohn
            • Zdenek Malcik
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 3, 2010
                Hi,

                Ostrava V. means Ostrava 5th district = Ostrava 5 - Zabreh

                Zdenek

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 3, 2010
                  Hi,

                  It is Zabna/Zabnia/Zabnya/ - nowadays Zaben : http://www.mapy.cz/#mm=TtTcPA@x=142014848@y=134755200@z=13
                  the village is between Paskov and Frydek-Mistek
                  If there is written "narozen v Zabnu" it means "born in Zaben". The name Zaben is affiliated with "a frog".

                  Zdenek Malcik

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 3, 2010
                    Aha!  Roman numeral 5=V.  :-))

                    Joe