Fw: Article about TJ Slansky

  • Ray J. Bacak
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2010

      From: tjslansky
      To: tjs
      Sent: Saturday, July 31, 2010 8:39 PM
      Subject: Article about TJ Slansky

      Fellow Hovezi-Huslenky Village Friends:

      Myrna and I just returned from attending the State CHS meeting today in Victoria.

      I was interviewed this afternoon by a reporter from the Victoria Advocate. Ms. Rita Vanek, the state treasure, told the reporter about my family research into the Czech Rep.

      The reporter wrote a nice article and it is already on the web about the Czech meeting.

      BY JJ VELASQUEZ
      • Originally published July 31, 2010 at 6 p.m., updated July 31, 2010 at 6 p.m.

      In an ode to her Czech ancestry, Gladys Orsak donned a kroj at Saturday's State Czech Heritage Society conference in Victoria.

      Wearing the traditional Czech dress is a way the Czech-American preserves her culture, which time tends to whittle away. As children, Orsak said she and her siblings thought speaking Czech was silly, but now she wishes she would have picked up more of it.

      "We don't realize how hard our ancestors worked," Orsak said, "especially how hard the Czechs worked."

      Saturday's conference took place at Holy Family Catholic Church, which drew Texans with Czech ancestry from some of the state organization's 15 chapters. Booths were set up with library materials so that those interested could research their genealogy.

      TJ Slansky, of San Antonio, took an interest in genealogy in the late 1980s. The advent of personal computers helped further his research.

      Slansky picked up little by little with the help of a genealogy program on his computer and became more involved after he retired. By 2000, he found where his paternal grandfather came from.

      In October 2001, he visited the village his ancestors emigrated from and the relatives who had remained there.

      Slansky hired a Czech researcher to help him track down his family lines, and now most of his family tree is complete. Genealogy research has satisfied the Czech-American's curiosity about his ancestors, he said.

      "It's something I just enjoy, to know who these people were and what became of them," he said.

      Czechoslovakian immigrants began arriving in Victoria County and the Crossroads in the late 19th century in small communities, according to Marjorie Matula, a former president of the local chapter.

      The local chapter was founded in 1984 and has grown ever since, Matula said.

      Tracing back genealogy and preserving their ancestors' culture are things the older Czech-American generations take interest in, but younger generations get involved, too, she said.

      "You want the older people, but you want the youth so you can carry on" Czech heritage, Matula said.

      Attending conferences and listening to the presentations helps even people with deep knowledge of their ancestry, she said.

      "You know some things," she said, "but you find out a lot of things here."

    • Richard and Judy Smith
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2010

        I was unable to open the attachment.  Did anyone have the same problem?

        Thanks, Judy Smith