Obit - Charles/Karel and Rosa/Ruzena Jurek, children of Joe Jurek and Berta Grossmann, 1911

  • Matt Cross
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2010

      Shiner Gazette, 1 Jun 1911

      A Mother Poisoned Two Children and Attempted to Poison Herself.

      A Mrs. Jurek, living on the Braches place on Peach creek, according to her own statement, on account of ill treatment by her husband, determined to commit suicide and in order not to leave her two children in the care of her husband, to take their lives also. On Tuesday afternoon she dissolved a number of match heads in water and gave the mixture to her children to drink and drank some herself. What she drank caused her to vomit and she thus escaped the effects of the potion. The two children died Wednesday morning. They were aged one and three years. Mrs. Jurek was arrested this morning and placed in jail. Officers left today for the scene of the tragedy to hold an inquest. It is not known as yet whether the charge against the woman will be for murder or for insanity. – Gonzales Inquirer.

      Mrs. Jurek was a daughter of Mr. Wm. Grossmann and was quite young, having been married only four years.

      LATER – Mrs. Jurek was adjudged insane by the county court at Gonzales last Friday.

      [From Texas death certificates, the mother was Berta Grossmann and the father, Joe Jurek. the children were Charles Jurek, 8 Aug 1908 – 23 May 1911 , buried at Shiner, and Rosa Jurek, age 11 months. Cause of death for both appears to be poisoning.]

      [Tise, Vol. IV, Shiner SPJST Cemetery , JUREK, Karel, 2 Srp [Aug] 1908 – 22 Kve [May] 1911; JUREK, Ruzena, 16 Cna [Jun] 1910 – 22 Kve [May] 1911]

    • jbucek2001
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 31, 2010
        Joe and Berta Jurek's daughter Zdenka Jurek was born on November 20,1911. She passed away on January 18, 1925. Charles and Rosa are buried in the SPJST Shiner Cemetery. Zdenka's DC says she is buried in Shiner. I feel like she is buried in an unmarked grave in the William Grossmann lot. Berta and Joe divorced. Berta is buried the William Grossmann lot. SPJST purchased a headstone for her this year.
        Janie Bucek