Some of those Lost

  • Paula Foster
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2010
      Page 12 Appendix V Letter from Vince Silar Describing the Maria Journey :
      The was taken from a letter written from Texas by one of the Czechs who immigrated on the Maria.  It is unsigned, the auther is believed to be Vincenc Shiller writng to his father-in-law Jan Silar (nicknamed "Borovy" meaning "from the Pine Grove" which was adjacent to the House #6 in Nepomuky where he lived.  This is a very detail and lengthy letter.  I am just including a list of people who passed on:

      36 People departed fro Galveston on Feb 13, 1852,  list of people they lost:
      Wife of my brother Josef, Mares, Lesa (perhaps Lesikar), My sister/2 children, 3 other persons-nine person in all

      Galveston
      Buried in the Bay Son Vincenc and brother's daughter Rosalia (infants)

      Houston (most unfortuante for all of us since this place (Houston was etremely unhealthy like New Orleans.  We were already weak and exhausted and like flies, we again became very ill because of an "after-sea" sickness per the local inhabitants.

      "here in Houston, the following person of our group died and were buried.
      My brother Josef/2 children, my Mother (Johannah Silar nee Balcar),  my older and only son, Ripl's child, Mare's daughter, Jezek's daughter, Coufal's 2 children, my brother Karl's child and 7 other unnamed people.  A total of 18.

      Buried 6 more unnamed persons on the banks of the Brazos perhaps near Brookshire.

      Note:
      List of Family Name on the Maria Roster compiled in LiverPool, England:
      Szornowsky, Shiller, Jezek, Leshikar, Rypl, Maresh Motyl, Rosler, Coufal, Votav all families.  The Only one listed as alone Josef Rypl age 26.

      paulasmaggie
    • dofrco@embarqmail.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2, 2010

        Paula,

        I have read bits and pieces of the story before, but never the details you posted.  Saying that this was a tragedy would be an understatement.  As I read the letter from Vince Silar, each sentence broke my heart even more.

        I am going to have to get hold of the book and read the rest of the story.

        Some day when I finish researching my family (ha, ha) and compile the information, this story will be the first page.  You are right, every TexasCzech should read about this.

        Thank you so much for taking the time to post all of this.

        Doris