The future is now!

  • George Patrick
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2010

      A Very Tiny, Huge Leap Forward

      Posted by Matilda on June 2, 2010 ; This entry is filed under Technology.

      The world’s smallest electronic switch has been created.  It is of a scale so small that there is really no way to put it into perspective–the incredibly tiny switch is just 7 atoms wide.

      So why is this so important?  Well, it means that quantum computers may be feasible much sooner than was originally thought.  By creating switches this tiny, computer chip sizes will theoretically be able to be reduced nearly 100 times smaller than their current size.  This opens the door for computing potentials that are exceedingly more powerful than what is currently possible.  The scientists involved in the project say that problems that would take longer to solve than the life of the universe with today’s computers may be able to be solved in as little as a couple years.

      This technology opens the door for so many things.  Data encryption will be nearly impossible to break, weather prediction will be much more accurate, nearly anything that utilizes a computer will be improved on an exponential scale.

      For the blind community, this could mean big things, as well.  With technology like this, that promises a massive increase in computing power and a reduction in size, retinal implants could be absolutely amazing devices that restore full vision.  Software programs will be indescribably rich in content, offering any visually impaired user a customized experience.  The desktop computer will become a paperweight and hand-held devices with superior speech-to-text and text-to-speech capabilities will be the standard.  The way in which everyone will receive and interpret information, for any purpose, will be completely changed.

      The best and most exciting part is that scientists believe that within 5 years an ultra-fast quantum computer will be ready for commercial applications.

      To read the original article, please go to http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/7759347/Scientists-create-worlds-smallest-electronic-switch.html

    • Buster Mitchell
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2010
        As Sir John says... What good is information if not shared!?!?

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2010

          I have found the gravesite of a Helena Mikeska but can't fit her into the family tree. Does anyone have her listed?

          Helena Mikeska- 1 Apr 1873- 20 Apr 1951.  Her DC was signed by Gustave A Dziadek and I found her maiden name Budinskie or Budinsky.  It appears she was married to a Dziadek and a Mikeska.  I can't find which Mikeska and if the Dziadek was her first husband and then she married a Mikeska.
          Thanks for any info.
          Elaine Malina

        • Paula Foster
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2010
            Elaine, On Ancestry 1920 Census shows a George and Helen Mikeska.  George bn abt 1858 and Helen abt 1873 Lavaca County.

            Found a DC for George Mikeska bn May 20, 1858 Austria d Jan 1944 Lavaca County.  Parents Tom Miskeska and Maria Sisa.  Buried at the Czech Moravian Brethren Church Shiner.  Hope this helps.  paulasmaggie

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2010
              From Tise, Vol. III, Czech Moravian Brethren Cemetery:

              MIKESKA, Terezie, 26 Cce [Jul] 1856 - 6 Pro [Dec] 1916, H - Jiri
              MIKESKA, Jiri, 20 Kve [May] 1858 - 12 Led [Jan] 1944, W - Terezie

              I'm assuming Terezie is Jiri/George's first wife because he is listed with a Terezie on the 1910 census for Lavaca county.

              Matt Cross
              lennonluv@...

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 3, 2010

                That is what I was looking for.