RE: [TexasCzechs] Murder of Joe Stefka's wife and child, 1905

  • Matt Cross
    Message 1 of 20 , May 3, 2010
      I'm still combing the issues for March 1905. The issues for the first two weeks of March were not in the collection online, but I found something in the following week's issue.
      Matt Cross
      lennonluv@...

      To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
      From: nangotoo@...
      Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 03:44:45 -0700
      Subject: Re: [TexasCzechs] Murder of Joe Stefka's wife and child, 1905

      Wow, the newspapers in those days didn't hold anything back--the more gruesome, the better. I guess that the people had to get their "entertainment" from somewhere. I'm sure this case provided gossip for a long time.  Is there anything about the outcome of the case in later weeks or months?  Yuck!
      Nan

      Shiner Gazette, 22 Feb 1905, page 1

      A HORRIBLE CRIME

      The wife and babe of Joe Stefka were Shot and Killed at Their Home Near Town.

      FIVE SHOTS WERE FIRED.

      Last Wednesday evening about 3 o’clock, Joe Stefka, who lives about four miles south of town, came in and reported that his wife, and fifteen months old baby boy, had been shot to death in their home. Deputy sheriff Burkett, Squire Tampke, Dr. J. D. Gray and eeveral [sic] other at once repaired to the scene.

      On entering the door the first object seen was the 15 months old baby, with its glassy eyes turned up and a fearful wound in its abdomen, from which the intestines protruded. A few feet away lay the body of its mother, with both breasts nearly shot away and partly burned and charred as, her dress had been set on fire by the powder. The same shots that tore away the woman’s breasts also killed the baby, which she had evidently been holding on her arm when the murderous assault was committed.

    • Cindy Neal
      Message 2 of 20 , May 3, 2010
        I found this biography for HON. DAVID A. PAULUS at http://www.txgenweb2.org/txlavaca/biographies3.htm

        "His law firm had a large volume of litigation, including some noteworthy cases. ... Their principal criminal case was that of Joseph Stefka, charged with killing his wife and child near Shiner. After three trials they secured an acquittal for the defendant. It was a case attracting much public attention, especially among the Bohemians."

        lennonluv@hotmail. com

        To: TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com

        Message 3 of 20 , May 3, 2010
          This was NO SUICIDE. This was the murder of my ggrandaunt and their baby son. The mother was Frances Dusek Stefka. Our family still holds that she was murdered as well as the child. My grandmother Rose Dusek Ancinec made a regular pilgrimage to Frances unmarked grave whose location remains a mystery to me. Mother never said and in the end could not remember the location. All I have are pictures of the grave of Frances and the baby boy. Mr. Stefka was acquitted by the courts but the Dusek family says it was he who murdered Fannie and their baby and I will believe my family before all else.

          --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Matt Cross <lennonluv@...> wrote:

> [...]
          >
          > There were evidences of a terrible struggle. The room was covered with blood and brains. Stefke's gun, which had laid near the bodies with three empty shells on the floor and two in the gun, did the bloody work of the murderer. As the woman was not killed with those terrible wounds, the murderer, after a scuffle with the woman, who in trying to save her life had evidently caught hold of the gun, as shown by the bloody finger marks upon the barrel, but it was jerked away from her and the muzzle placed to her head and nearly the whole top of her head shot away, scattering blood and brains all over the ceiling and walls, making one of the most sickening sights to behold. The weapon used was a double barrel shot gun, the property of Stefka, and five shots were fired, as there were three empty bloody shells on the floorand [sic] two empty shells in the gun, which were inserted with bloody fingers, as the bloody finger marks thereon show.
          >
          > This is the most terrible tragedy ever enacted in the neighborhood of Shiner, and almost in the county. Joe Stefka the husband and a brother-in-law of his, Joe Motl, have both been placed under arrest, and were both carried to Halletsville last Thursday for safe keeping, pending their examining trial, which will take place Monday here at Shiner.
          >
          > Stefka denies any knowledge as to who did the killing. He claims that he was in the field at work during the morning, and returned to his home about 10 o'clock to shuck some corn for his horses, and there he went to the house and discovered the dead body of his wife and child. He states that he heard no guns fired nor any disturbance whatever. The officers discovered blood spots on Stefka's clothes and boots, but he claims that this came from killing a hog the day previous.
          >
          > The theory advanced by Stefka and his friends is that it was a case of suicide.
          >
          > The officers have been diligent in working up the case. Sheriff Nobles and County Attorney Bagley came over last Thursday and made a thorough investigation of the case. Sheriff Noble was also in town last Friday and Saturday looking up evidence.
          >
          > Shiner Gazette, 22 Feb 1905
          >
          > Justice Court.
          >
          > The examining trial of Joe Stefka, charged with killing his wife and baby, came before this court last Monday. Stefka waived examination and was remanded to jail to await the action of the grand jury. Joe Motl, a brother-in-law of Stefka's, who had been arrested, was released on a $100 bond.
          >
          > Sheriff Noble and County Attorney Bagby returned to Halletsville Monday with their prisoner.
          >
          > Messrs. Paulus and Ragsdale are Stefka's attorneys.

        • kickingbird4
          Message 4 of 20 , May 3, 2010
            Paula, this is the murder I told you about of Fannie Dusek Stefka that our family would not talk about except to say that Mr. Stefka murdered Fanny and the baby and I believe it. Joe was acquitted which was just wrong but what can you do? It was murder by him and our family has carried this tragedy in silence for generations. Now to find the graves where Fannie and the baby boy are buried.

            --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Paula Foster <pfosterbmt@...> wrote:

            > This is a sad story.  Let see she shot herself in the chest, killing her babe, and then shot her head off.  Some suicide theory.  I just hoped they found a tree and a rope with his name and anyone who helped him.  paulasmaggie

          • kickingbird4
            Message 5 of 20 , May 3, 2010
              Matt, thank you so much for sharing this. I ahave been searching for years to find out what happened to Fannie Dusek Stefka and all I had until now was the Dusek family stories handed down. I wish my grandmother and mother could have seen this so at least they would have had some closure. This was their close aunt and uncle. The Dusek family always said that Joe Stefka did it and it appears from the newspaper story that he did indeed do "it". What a horrible tragedy to hand down in a family. No wonder they rarely spoke of it. As glad as I am that this story surfaced, it is still like a kick to the solar plexis.

              Again, thank you. Kathleen Boyd

              Message 6 of 20 , May 3, 2010
                They're not listed in Tise. Do you know what church they might have belonged to?
                Matt Cross
                lennonluv@...

                > To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
                > From: sissonltd@...
                > Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 18:29:36 +0000
                > Subject: [TexasCzechs] Re: Murder of Joe Stefka's wife and child, 1905
                >
                > Paula, this is the murder I told you about of Fannie Dusek Stefka that our family would not talk about except to say that Mr. Stefka murdered Fanny and the baby and I believe it. Joe was acquitted which was just wrong but what can you do? It was murder by him and our family has carried this tragedy in silence for generations. Now to find the graves where Fannie and the baby boy are buried.
                >
                > --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Paula Foster <pfosterbmt@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > This is a sad story.  Let see she shot herself in the chest, killing her babe, and then shot her head off.  Some suicide theory.  I just hoped they found a tree and a rope with his name and anyone who helped him.  paulasmaggie

              • kickingbird4
                Message 7 of 20 , May 3, 2010
                  Hello Matt, the only church I can think of would be the Brethren or Evangelical Church since they were of the Evangelical Reformed faith in Cermna--at least Fanny was. Her name was Frantiska Dusek, daughter of Jan B. Dusek and Rozara(Rosalie) Motl of Cermna.

                  --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Matt Cross <lennonluv@...> wrote:

                  > They're not listed in Tise. Do you know what church they might have belonged to?
                  >
                  > Matt Cross
                  > lennonluv@...
                  > "Madness is the first sign of dandruff." -- John Lennon
                  >

                  > > To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
                  > > From: sissonltd@...
                  > > Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 18:29:36 +0000
                  > > Subject: [TexasCzechs] Re: Murder of Joe Stefka's wife and child, 1905
                  > >
                  > > Paula, this is the murder I told you about of Fannie Dusek Stefka that our family would not talk about except to say that Mr. Stefka murdered Fanny and the baby and I believe it. Joe was acquitted which was just wrong but what can you do? It was murder by him and our family has carried this tragedy in silence for generations. Now to find the graves where Fannie and the baby boy are buried.
                  > >
                  > > --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Paula Foster <pfosterbmt@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > This is a sad story. Let see she shot herself in the chest, killing her babe, and then shot her head off. Some suicide theory. I just hoped they found a tree and a rope with his name and anyone who helped him. paulasmaggie

                • Paula Foster
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 3, 2010
                    I do not know if this helps, but I went through one of our Dusek Family Descendant List.  I found a majority were buried at Bila Hora Cemetery Lavaca County and a few at 6 mile Cemetery Calhoun.  These are old cemeteries, it might be a place to start.  paulasmaggie

                    Hello Matt, the only church I can think of would be the Brethren or Evangelical Church since they were of the Evangelical Reformed faith in Cermna--at least Fanny was. Her name was Frantiska Dusek, daughter of Jan B. Dusek and Rozara(Rosalie) Motl of Cermna.

                    --- In TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com, Matt Cross <lennonluv@. ..> wrote:

                    > They're not listed in Tise. Do you know what church they might have belonged to?
                    >
                    > Matt Cross
                    > lennonluv@.. .
                    > "Madness is the first sign of dandruff." -- John Lennon
                    >

                    > > To: TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com
                    > > From: sissonltd@.. .
                    > > Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 18:29:36 +0000
                    > > Subject: [TexasCzechs] Re: Murder of Joe Stefka's wife and child, 1905
                    > >
                    > > Paula, this is the murder I told you about of Fannie Dusek Stefka that our family would not talk about except to say that Mr. Stefka murdered Fanny and the baby and I believe it. Joe was acquitted which was just wrong but what can you do? It was murder by him and our family has carried this tragedy in silence for generations. Now to find the graves where Fannie and the baby boy are buried.
                    > >
                    > > --- In TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com, Paula Foster <pfosterbmt@ > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > This is a sad story. Let see she shot herself in the chest, killing her babe, and then shot her head off. Some suicide theory. I just hoped they found a tree and a rope with his name and anyone who helped him. paulasmaggie

                  • Matt Cross
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 3, 2010
                      It would seem more likely that they were buried somewhere in Lavaca County.
                      Matt Cross
                      lennonluv@...

                      To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
                      From: pfosterbmt@...
                      Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 11:51:51 -0700

                      Message 10 of 20 , May 3, 2010
                        Sadly the grave is unmarked with nothing but mounded dirt surrounded by rocks. I know that is of no help. Grandma used to make the trek and leave lots of flowers.

                      • Mike
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 3, 2010
                          I found a record of the 5 Jan 1903 marriage of Josef (Joe) Stefka from Shiner, Texas and Frantiska Dusek from Elgin, Texas, which was a little over two years before Frantiska's murder.  Performing the marriage was Rev. Jindrich (Henry) Juren, a Czech Evangelical Reformed (Brethren) minister serving the Shiner Brethren congregation in it's early years.  The license had been issued 24 Dec 1902 in Hallettsville, Texas.  The couple were married at the home of Fr. Stefka, Shiner, Texas.  The witnesses were Jos. A. Dusek, Fr. D. Dusek, and Fr. Stefka.  All of this information was found in Rev. Juren's register records as compiled by my father Edmond H. Hejl and published in 1992.  There is no indication in these records that Rev Juren ever baptized the murdered 15-month-old son of Josef Stefka and Frantiska Dusek or that Rev. Juren officiated at a funeral service for the slain mother and her son.

                          The Czech Brethren congregation in Shiner was organized in 1891 and the congregation built a church in 1905 on the Tom Hurta land.  I suspect that the Czech Brethren in Shiner had their own preferred burial grounds early on and that's where Frantiska and her slain child are likely buried.  Before the church was built in 1905, Brethren services were sometimes conducted in public schools or "a Shiner Lutheran Church," so it's possible some early Czech Brethren settlers were buried in a Shiner Lutheran cemetery.  It's also possible that a Lutheran minister officiated at a funeral service for the slain mother and her son because Rev. Juren would have likely had to travel from Fayetteville and may have had other commitments.

                          The Frantiska Dusek who was slain in 1905 near Shiner may have been the granddaughter of Cenek (Vincenc) Dusek (1815-1858) and Terezie Chaloupka (1811-1858) of Cermna, Bohemia (my GGG grandparents).  Cenek and Terezie Dusek had eight children, five of whom immigrated to Texas.  One of the three children who did not immigrate was the last-born Jan Dusek, who was probably born about 1855.  This Jan Dusek may have been the father of the slain Frantiska Dusek Stefka, who obviously did immigrate.  You said that the parents of Frantiska Dusek Stefka were Jan B. Dusek and Rosalie Motl.

                          Curiously, Josef Dusek (1849-1919), one of the eight Dusek children who immigrated to Texas, also married a Rosalie Motl (1849-1898) in Cermna in 1869.  This couple immigrated to Texas in 1872, eventually settling in the Bila Hora community.  Josef Dusek and Rosalie Motl Dusek also had a daughter named Frantiska (1876-1899), but she married Frank Hurta.  This Frantiska Dusek died in 1899 at age 23, apparently during or shortly after giving birth to a son, Adolph Hurta.

                          Hope some of this will help you locate the graves you are seeking.

                          Mike Hejl

                          Hejl-Silar  Dusek-Kotrla  Blaha-Kotrla  Hejtmancik-Batla

                          --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "kickingbird4" <sissonltd@...> wrote:

                          > Sadly the grave is unmarked with nothing but mounded dirt surrounded by rocks. I know that is of no help. Grandma used to make the trek and leave lots of flowers.
                          > --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Matt Cross lennonluv@ wrote:
                          > >

                          > > It would seem more likely that they were buried somewhere in Lavaca County.
                          > >
                          > > Matt Cross
                          > > lennonluv@
                          > > "Madness is the first sign of dandruff." -- John Lennon
                          > >
                          > > To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
                          > > From: pfosterbmt@
                          > > Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 11:51:51 -0700
                          > > Subject: Re: [TexasCzechs] Re: Murder of Joe Stefka's wife and child, 1905
                          > >

                          > > I do not know if this helps, but I went through one of our Dusek Family Descendant List. I found a majority were buried at Bila Hora Cemetery Lavaca County and a few at 6 mile Cemetery Calhoun. These are old cemeteries, it might be a place to start. paulasmaggie

                        • Nangotoo
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 3, 2010
                            Even though the articles are more gossipy, more detailed than we are used to now, etc., I still enjoy reading the old newspapers online. Whenever you find a good article, please keep putting them online for us. Its interesting comparing the old writing styles and public interests to today's more politically "correct" themes. Sometimes I sit and keep laughing over something that was considered a big deal back then and the writing styles WERE unusual by today's standards. I used to laugh when reading my mom's Gonzales Inquirers (sent to her through the mail) every week in the 60's and '70's when they STILL would tell who was visiting whom and who was out of town going to a doctor or visiting relatives.
                            Nan
                          • Nangotoo
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 3, 2010
                              Kathleen,

                              What I would do with this info if I were you would be to write or go to the Lavaca Co. courthouse and ask for the court records and read them. Obviously, there must have been something in the court records that would explain what info got him acquitted. Its always better to have the full story. Believe me, it can either support or change the way you feel about the criminal case. We have one of these serious criminal cases in our family involving one of my g-grandfathers. The family story passed down about why it happened (it was also a murder) turned out to be completely different from the actual court testimony. I'm not suggesting that what your family passed down in the Stefka case wasn't correct, but its always more interesting to read the whole court case and not just rely on family lore or the newspaper stories-- both of which are always very one-sided. Maybe for a fee, the Lavaca court has someone who can copy the court cases and send them to you. In my case, I'm still trying to get a copy of the case of my g-grandfather. I went to DeWitt Co courthouse in Cuero and they mysterously "lost" or "misplaced" the court case I was looking for...even though the County Clerk at the time had found it beforehand and asked if I wanted her to copy it for me. I said no because I was going to TX and would be in Cuero to do other research. I had people in several offices looking for that court case when we were there and they never found it. The case was heard in 1919 through 1921 so it wasn't as if someone was protecting our family who were all long gone. Interesting, huh?
                              Nan

                              Message 14 of 20 , May 4, 2010
                                Josef Dusk (Vincent (Sneak), Karl, Karl (Charles), Martin,Tobias, Jan6 Interj, Jan, Martin3,Jori2,Dusk) Ban 3-25-1850 in Ermina, Bohemia (or 26 Mar 1849 per Darlene Baker records), d 7-71919, Sublime, Lava ca County, Texas He married (1) Rosina Motel 1869 Ermina, Bohemia.  She was December 5, 1849 in Ermina, Bohemia, and died June 2, 1898 in Bi la Hora, Lava ca County, Texas.  He married (2) Rosie Pecan January 30, 1899 in Bi la Hora, Lava ca County, Texas.  She was born March 20, 1878, and died April 14, 1875, and died April 14, 1957 in Bi la Hora, Lava ca County Texas.  All 3 are buried at Bi la Hora Cemetery, Lava ca County Texas

                                Josef Dusk and Rosina Motel Daughter
                                Franciska/Frances Dusk Ban December 3, 1876 Bi la Hora, Lava ca County m Frank Huerta 1899 in Lava ca County.  Reference Ancestry

                                1900 Census-Ancestry Lava ca County
                                Frank Ban Jan 1870, Francis Ban Dec 1876, Adolf f Ban 9/12 mo

                                DECS-Family Searches
                                Adolf F. Huerta Ban Sept 10, 1900 Lava ca County d January 10, 1937 Taylor City-Appendicitis buried Taylor City Cemetery
                                Frank Huerta Ban Jan 8, 1870 Old Country, d Feb 16, 1927 Midfield Matador-cutting a road, tree fell on him crushing him, buried Haley Cemetery, Mrs. Frank Huerta informant, parents Tom Hurta/ Anna Sefcik

                                Our Dusek shows Frantiska Duskek Hurta dying 1899 which now needs to be corrected.  She married not died.  Have not looked for her Death Index.
                                paulasmaggie

> [...]

                                > --- In TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com, Matt Cross lennonluv@ wrote:
                                > >

                                > > It would seem more likely that they were buried somewhere in Lavaca County.
                                > >
                                > > Matt Cross
                                > > lennonluv@
                                > > "Madness is the first sign of dandruff." -- John Lennon
                                > >
                                > > To: TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com
                                > > From: pfosterbmt@
                                > > Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 11:51:51 -0700
                                > > Subject: Re: [TexasCzechs] Re: Murder of Joe Stefka's wife and child, 1905
                                > >

                                > > I do not know if this helps, but I went through one of our Dusek Family Descendant List. I found a majority were buried at Bila Hora Cemetery Lavaca County and a few at 6 mile Cemetery Calhoun. These are old cemeteries, it might be a place to start. paulasmaggie

                              • Elaine Malina
                                Message 15 of 20 , May 4, 2010
                                  My mother-in-law Angeline Malina and Estelle Muencih Migl surveyed the Shiner Brethren Cemetery May 24 &  25, 1999.  In that listing I came across the following:

                                  Row 4
                                  Joe Stefka's wife and infant

                                  There isn't a date; however, this might be the Stefka gravesite

                                  I will be going to the cemetery next month to photograph more graves.  If you would like me to  look for the grave and photograph it , I will do so.  It is not a big cemetery well kept and neatly laid out in rows.

                                  Elaine Malina

                                  .

                                • jesenwei@mdanderson.org
                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 5, 2010
                                    There is an online Czech language course at
                                    http://fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php?page=Czech

                                    It is a Department of State FAST (Famniliarization and Short-term Training) course dated 1990, with a 242-page text/workbook you can download and 24 taped lessons. It was designed as an 8-week introductory course for State department employees and dependants.