Re: [TexasCzechs] Zapplac & Zharadnick

  • G. Martisek
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 12, 2000
      Joyce and other Listers:

      My husband has Zahradnik in his ancestery.  When they came over from Moravia in 1866, they came over as Zahradnik.  However, soon after arriving in Texas  their name was changed to Gaertner (Gertner).  Zahradnik is Czech for gardener (or so I am told).  They settle originally around Mulberry and Praha (at least I have found Marriage and birth records here) and also.  the High Hill area near Schulenburg.  The story goes that since most of the people in High Hill were of German descent, they did not want to appear "different" and so took on the German spelling of their name--thus becoming Gaertner.  Through the years the name has changed spellings until today most use the Gertner.  In the 1980's the family was honored by the State of Texas for having a farm in the same family for over 100 years.

      This appears to be George  (Zahradnik) Gaertner (age 36)  who arrived in Galveston on Sept. 30, 1866.  Listed with him were M. (Mrs.35), M. (Miss) 24, and Josef 2 1/2.  The story goes that the wife, M., died in childbirth on the voyage over and her body was buried at sea.  A daughter, Anna, was born from this tragedy.  The reason the Immigration records shows something different is that it is the record of when they left "Mahren".

      Praha Catholic Church records show that a "George Geartner" married a Magadelina Wagner from High Hill on Nov 23, 1968.  I have not been able to find this family in the 1970 Census.  They should have been in the Lavaca County or Fayette Co. area.

      By July 20, 1874, George Gaertner has married a third time.  His wife is Mary Ripper Jemelka, who is a widow with 2 sons:  Joseph and Anton.

      My husband's great grandmother (Bertha or Debiata) was the first child born to George Gaertner and Mary Ripper Jemelka.  She was born May 16, 1875.

      If anyone has further interest, let me know I do have  more info.

      "Kotrla RJ (Richard)" wrote:

      CzechListers:

      Joyce is using the list in a way that we should all be taking advantage of, looking for misplaced ancestors.

      I can tell several personal stories as to how fellow listers have share information with me that I would never have received otherwise.