Re: [TexasCzechs] New sight for Czech when researching

  • Nangotoo
    Message 1 of 21 , May 3, 2010

      Doris,

      Have you seen a Brian Stepanek on the Disney Channel?  He performs under the name of Brian O'Brian. haha  He does a little, funny skit that they show several times a night.  When I saw the Stepanek name on your message, I had to write a tell you about Brian. He's on the regular, original Disney Channel and is about 35-40 yrs. old.  I don't know anything more about him.
      Nan

      Hi Joe,

      Thanks for sending the helpful link.

      Did you intend to send 2 links to sites that help with Czech research or just 1?  I ask because you sent 2 emails.  I got the one where you replied to Susan, but I believe the email that you said was good for medical terms was missing the link.

      I have only gotten some preliminary results from Mr. Stepanek on my Drgac/Dubcak ancestors.  He is not having very much luck.  It seems both families are millers.  He tells me that millers appear to be mobile.  They do not look for wives in the villages where they have a mill.  They look to marry daughters of millers in other villages, which makes it hard to find their marriage records and descendants.  I guess one would have to have lots of hours to browse through village after village in hopes of having any luck.

      Doris

      Message 2 of 21 , May 3, 2010

        Thanks, Doris, I will check that out. I love all of these new research sites, don't you?

        I just got back online tonight.  My computer was doing fine until several nights ago when I got a computer virus that shut down my computer.  We got some stronger virus protection and got everything fixed and repaired and I'm back up and relieved.  I thought I had lost another hard drive after being up just a few days.  Amazing what modern software will do.  Be careful. The virus programs are getting trickier.  Luckily, I hadn't clicked on anything on the virus page (even though it looked legit) because if I had, it would have crashed my computer and wrecked my hard drive.  As it was, the virus only highjacked my computer and it was easy to fix it and get rid of it.  Best Buy wanted $200 to clean my computer of the virus--just to LOOK at it and run their anti-virus programs on it...$300 if they came to our house to do it.  Yeah, right.
        Nan

        Joe, Nan, Susan and Others who are interested,

        Below are two sites I recently found that can help while researching the Czech archives:

        This site has a lot of help, but the tutorials on the different types of registers caught my eye.  Scroll down to where it says “Tutorial of Vital Records”  Then choose one of the tutorials.  It will have a sample of a record.  You can move your mouse over it, and it will tell you what each column means.  It sure would have saved me many an hour when I first got started.

        http://www.halgal. com/vitalrecords .html

        This one is the University of Notre Dame’s Latin Dictionary.  You can type in a word.  If it is not there, you can just type in the first letter.  Then you can browse all the words that start with that letter.  Since a lot of Latin is based on stems and suffixes, I have been able to find some words there that I couldn’t find anywhere else.

        http://www.nd. edu/~archives/ latin.htm

        Hope this helps, and

        Susan, welcome to the group.

        Doris

        From: TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:TexasCzechs @yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of Nangotoo

        Ohhh, that must have happened while my computer was broken.  What is the URL for online research in the CZ Rep.?  The archives for all over the country or just in some regions?  Now I'm excited!  Thanks for mentioning that.

        Susan, welcome to the group.  You have found a place with some wonderful helpful people.  I'm in CA and they have helped me so much with my research.

        That reminds me, have we had a roll call within the last couple of years?  We seem to have so many new members.

        Nan

      • dofrco@embarqmail.com
        Message 3 of 21 , May 4, 2010

          Hi Nan,

          No, I wasn’t aware of Brian Stepanek.  I’m going to have to check him out on the Disney Channel.  Think I’ll also write Mr. Stepanek to see if he is related.

          Message 4 of 21 , May 4, 2010

            Nan,

            Just want to send a my thoughts about all the new information available now.  A few years ago, I had to put my genealogy research on hold to take care of my mother.  At that time there weren’t very many sources one could go to and get information.  When I would come upon some finds, they were far and few between.  There were many, long dry spells.  But now that I am back researching, I am overwhelmed at all the information available!  I have gathered so much that I just don’t have the time to post because there is more out there to look at.  I feel like I have so much I need to look at that I have had to set priorities and feel like I will never get it all done.  Isn’t it wonderful?  For those of us who are really into genealogy, it’s almost like being in heaven!

            Doris

              Message 6 of 21 , May 5, 2010

                Nan,

                I was mostly talking about the sites that people have posted on our Texas/Czech group.  It had been a few years since I have been able to research that so many of them are new to me.  I hope I didn’t get your hopes to high.  I was just amazed at all the stuff that’s online now, like the old newspapers, cemetery records, books and especially the Czech archives (which are my #1 priorty).  I don’t think I have any new sites to add but will let everyone know when I come across a site.

                I have to share a couple of treasures that I have found.  I am also researching my husband’s ancestors.  He is not Czech; he is a English, Irish, Native American, etc.  His family has been in Texas since the mid 1800’s.  While surfing the web, I came across a find on flickr.  Someone had scanned my husband’s great-grandmother’s Bible.  I almost fell out of my chair!  The man that posted it doesn’t even descend from her, but I’m thankful he posted it.  Another find was an interview with my husband’s 2ggf (a different line).  We found out that his father was hung by vigilantes during the Civil War.  The whole incident is told in book that I finally found.  It has about 10 pages of sources in the bibliography.  More leads that I don’t know when I will have the time to check out.  These finds, as well as the Czech archives, are something I never would have thought were possible just a few years ago.

                Doris