Re: [TexasCzechs] obit: Theresa Mokry

  • FayeLee39@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 2010
      Joe and Judy,

      I lived in Corpus Christi, twice while I was in the Coast Guard; 1975-1983 and 1987 to 1990.  That Navy Field you were talking about was an Auxiliary Navy Flight training field called WALDRON FIELD.  And a main road out to it was Waldron Rd.  It was all by itself, and was not physically connected to NAS Corpus Christi.  However NAS Corpus Christi, VT -27 was responsible for it and used it regularly.  The garbage dump etc back up to that property.

      The main road on the south side and much of the west side of Corpus is SPID, which means South Padre Island Dr.  It continues now all the way to the beach, most of it multi-lane.  There also a tall overpass etc. that has been built to accommodate NAS CC traffic and makes for a much better flow.  Now I have not been back to the area since 1992.

      My first time to Corpus Christi was in 1960, when I lived in San Antonio, and we just went down there to hang out at the beach.

      You know, when I was stationed in Corpus, I really didn't think about all the Czechs that lived there......... because I was not attune to my ancestry at all.........and there are so many Czechs that live there, and have great histories and ancestry.  Of course years later a bell went off in my Head......... that I should get to know from whence I came, and try with all my effort to preserve my ancestry....... Thank God I have.

      Very interesting to read your comments about the areas you are from.

      Cullis Holub

      Corpus Christi Times, Tues., May 23, 1967

      Submitted by Rosemary Ermis