Re: [TexasCzechs] Kolache help

  • SRektorik@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11, 2000
      Well, the lack of a written family recipe for the fruit filling explains it.
      I was somewhat baffled as to how you (Wendy Bartek Wittenbrook) could master
      the poppyseed rolls but be asking about fillings. It is lucky for you that
      you found the dough and popsika recipes which your family uses. I'm afraid
      many have been lost.

      When she was growing up, one of my mother's chores was to make the bread for
      the family. She never used a written recipe for kolaches. My grandmother
      never used a written recipe and certainly not measuring devices when making
      kolaches.

      Our family kolache crisis came after both my grandmother and mother died
      (mother died young). We found we had no recipes. We were finally saved by
      the eldest sister. When she first married she has asked Grandma for the
      kolache recipe and found that one did not exist. Sometime later on, my
      grandmother handed her a kolache recipe from the December 1963 issue of the
      The Progressive Farmer magazine and said "this is about what I do". The
      recipe was submitted by a Mrs. Jerabeck. My eldest sister still has the
      original page from the magazine. My next up-the-line sister was in high
      school at this time. She received a card from the eldest sister with the
      recipe typed on it. She uses that recipe card through this day. I have seen
      it, it has yellowed and has spots on it. The filling recipes weren't written
      down for us either; however, there were enough of us spanning a good number
      of years so that some still knew how to make it.

      We have changed the recipe some. For instance, Grandma always scalded the
      milk. We weren't sure why since once the shortening has melted in the milk,
      you must then cool the mixture before adding it to the yeast culture or it
      will kill it. My eldest sister asked a home economics instructor and as best
      they could figure the milk needed to be scalded because, back then, it was
      not processed and purified. The scalding purified the milk.

      I have found that the quantity of flour required achieve a good texture for
      the dough varies from time to time. I am blessed as I have apparently
      inherited "the feel for the dough". I find the kolache dough wonderfully
      forgiving an infinitely workable.

      Wendy, if you would care to share, I would like to know how you make the
      poppyseed filling. A recipe for that I do not have.

      Also, if there is anyone out there who is interested in a "novice's version"
      (with detailed guidance), my daughter and I developed one for her school
      project on Kolaches. I am more than willing to share.

      Susan Rektorik Henley