Early 1900s justice - Ziebert family

  • Matt Cross
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6, 2010

      Here's one example of early 1900s justice.

      Shiner Gazette, 9 Jul 1902 , page 1

      FUNERAL DELAYED.

      While Mourners Tarred and Feathered Husband and Sister of Corpse

      Sterling , July 2. – The funeral of Mr. John Ziebert of Mount Morris , near this city, was delayed today until the mourners could adjourn to a cornfield and administer a coat of tar and feathers to the husband and sister of the dead woman. Then the funeral proceeded, but the two who were to be the chief mourners were absent.

      The house was filled with sorrowing neighbors when some of them discovered Ziebert in another room, hugging and kissing Mrs. Theodore Wolfe. The crowd quickly dragged the couple to the cornfild [sic]. A plentiful supply of tar was poured over the victims and the feathers from a pillow were emptied on each. Then the two were driven from the village and ordered never to return. Mrs. Ziebert died of consumption, and during the two years of her sickness, it is alleged that her husband was continually making love to her sister.

    • Paula Foster
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 6, 2010
        Maybe a little of the old fashion justice might just be what this "old world" needs.paulasmaggie