Need Advice about Hiring a Professional Researcher

  • d_barton_coats
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 23, 2010
      I am at the stage in researching my Czech ancestors where I need to retain the services of a professional researcher. I am wondering if any members have had research done in the Czech Republic and who was used.
      Guess I am asking for recommendations and perhaps the going rate.
      Also, has anyone used Ovi Stepanek?
      Thank you in advance,
      Doris Barton Coats
    • Joe Levek
      Message 2 of 30 , Jan 23, 2010
        I am also interested in finding someone to do some research for me.  Let me know what you personally  find out.
        Thanks
        Joe Levek

        I am at the stage in researching my Czech ancestors where I need to retain the services of a professional researcher.  I am wondering if any members have had research done in the Czech Republic and who was used.
        Guess I am asking for recommendations and perhaps the going rate.
        Also, has anyone used Ovi Stepanek?
        Thank you in advance,
        Doris Barton Coats

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            TexasCzechs-digest@yahoogroups.com
            TexasCzechs-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Ron Walcik
        Message 3 of 30 , Jan 24, 2010

          We have used Dr. Miroslav Koudelka and have been very impressed with both the depth of his research and his reasonable rates. I highly recommend him. Check out his web site at http://czechfamily.com/

          --
          Ron Walcik
          Killeen, Texas
          Message 4 of 30 , Jan 24, 2010
            I have used a researcher in the Trebon Archives--she lives in the area and works exclusively in that area. Prices are very reasonable, and she even found my ancestors' Application to Emigrate in a box of un-indexed documents, after being told that documents from 1860 were not available. If Southern Bohemia is of interest to you, I recommend her highly. She does not speak English, but works with her brother, Joseph Rek, who lives in Canada, and he does the translations. His email is josephrek@...

            --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "d_barton_coats" <dofrco@...> wrote:

            > I am at the stage in researching my Czech ancestors where I need to retain the services of a professional researcher. I am wondering if any members have had research done in the Czech Republic and who was used.
            > Guess I am asking for recommendations and perhaps the going rate.
            > Also, has anyone used Ovi Stepanek?
            > Thank you in advance,
            > Doris Barton Coats

          • Paula Foster
            Message 5 of 30 , Jan 24, 2010
              Ron, Do you have a email address?  The one his page:
              mk@... came back undeliverable.  paulasmaggie

              > I am at the stage in researching my Czech ancestors where Ineed to retain the services of a professional researcher. I amwondering if any members have had research done in the CzechRepublic and who was used.
              > Guess I am asking for recommendations and perhaps the goingrate.
              > Also, has anyone used Ovi Stepanek?
              > Thank you in advance,
              > Doris Barton Coats

              We have used Dr. Miroslav Koudelka and have been very impressedwith both the depth of his research and his reasonable rates. Ihighly recommend him. Check out his web site athttp://czechfamily. com/

              --
              Ron Walcik
              Killeen, Texas

            • davidschroeder991
              Message 6 of 30 , Jan 24, 2010
                I have used Martin Pytr to do some fairly complicated research in Opava Archive and Vsetin government office (all in Moravia) with good results: Email: maxi@... He lives close to those archives so you'll be paying less than for someone who has to drive for hours to get to an archive. His rates were reasonable. They did fluctuate a bit based on the exchange rate of the Czech Crown with the Dollar. He would provide English translations- and for an extra small cost- he would mail a CD with photographs of the actual documents. I used to send a certified check once the research was complete- or at least a major portion was done. Now, the researchers are leaning towards having an electronic transfer of funds to their account because of cost of cashing the check. There are not only Church records, but there are Czech Census records and land records. I found additional ancestors from land records that predated the earliest church records. I was able to trace the ownership of the land that my ancestors owned back into the 1600s.

                Be prepared with birth dates and villages of origin. What aided me were the Catholic baptismal records of the 1st generation born in the U.S. They contained info about the parents including the mother's maiden name and the villages where the parents were baptised. Marriage records of immigrants that came here as children provided similar info. Pay attention to the godparents- they are likely to be a close relative. Some researchers may also try to locate relatives still living in the Czech Republic for an added fee. You can actually communicate via email with Czech cousins using Google's Translate: English to Czech and vice versa. It works pretty well.

                I have also had research done at the Trebon archive in southern Bohemia. That archive has set some strict limits on the number of researchers and there is a waiting list of many weeks for the researcher to get an appointment. The Mormon church has now digitized the Trebon records and they are on-line. A lot of the writing is nearly indiscernable, and that is where a good researcher can help.

                You should probably be aware that there are cultural differences that may leave the customer wondering about what is going on at the other end. Some researchers may not respond to your email inquiries for weeks and months. Also, you will need to be specific at exactly what you want from the research and the estimate cost before you give the go-ahead. You might tell them not to exceed a dollar figure. The baptismal records in the Czech Republic lists the house number, parents and their birthplace and their occupation. And they also list the parents of the parents and their places of origin. That way, you can follow generations up the family tree. Some of these houses are still there and many researchers will take photographs of them - for a fee of course. And lastly, ask the researcher if the village of your ancestors has a village history book. I purchased one from Halenkov and one from Stribrec. They are in Czech, but you may be able to spot some info about your family. You could use Google's translate, or hire a translator to translate key passages.

                The villages of Halenkov, Novy Hrozenkov and Hovezi have some problems with the church records. There may be different entries for who were the parents of the parents. My G-Grandfather and siblings had 5 different mothers and 2 different fathers according to the lineage listed in the baptismal record! Different priests make assumptions based on who they thought were the proper lineages. There were large families- so many had the same first and last name- so you can see the confusion. Church records from my ancestors in southern Bohemia gave solid information.

                Good luck to you-- It is well worth the effort

                --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "d_barton_coats" <dofrco@...> wrote:

                > I am at the stage in researching my Czech ancestors where I need to retain the services of a professional researcher. I am wondering if any members have had research done in the Czech Republic and who was used.
                > Guess I am asking for recommendations and perhaps the going rate.
                > Also, has anyone used Ovi Stepanek?
                > Thank you in advance,
                > Doris Barton Coats

              • Ron Walcik
                Message 7 of 30 , Jan 24, 2010
                  The last email I received from him (about a year ago) was from mirekk@....
                  Ron

                • dofrco@embarqmail.com
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jan 25, 2010

                    Just want give a quick thanks to all the members that responded with advice and recommendations.  Now I need to make a decision!

                    Doris Barton Coats

                    Message 9 of 30 , Jan 26, 2010
                      I know you already received a number of responses but I wanted to add my two cents.

                      I am currently using Martin Pytr.  Martin does a good job.  He currently charges $200 a day which includes travel and translation.

                      Ty

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • dofrco@embarqmail.com
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jan 27, 2010

                        Thanks, Ty,

                        You are the third person to recommend Martin Pytr.  How far back in family records did $200 get you?

                        Doris Barton Coats

                        Message 11 of 30 , Jan 27, 2010
                          Well, I had to find where we came from to begin.  But, if you know the town your ancestors came from $200 should get you back to the mid to late 1700's unless there are issues in the records.

                          Ty

                          You are the third person to recommend Martin Pytr.  How far back in family records did $200 get you?

                          Doris Barton Coats

                          I know you already received a number of responses but I wanted to add my two cents.

                          I am currently using Martin Pytr.  Martin does a good job.  He currently charges $200 a day which includes travel and translation.

                          Ty

                        • tjs
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jan 27, 2010
                            Doris,

                            I would first e-mail Martin Pytr for the possible cost. It could be a day for research and another day for translation and composing the information for a time of two (2) days; if it is difficult to find the information.

                            The rates are about 30% more this year over last.

                            Be sure to include known information about the family from the "Old Country": Name of person, if married, wife's maiden name; children; parents name and siblings with dates and locations if possible the house number.  This is to assure to have the correct family line as there can be many persons with the same name and near dates.
                            The records since 1770 are recorded by house number(s); this helps to follow the descendants in a given family line.

                            I have use Martin Pytr since 2004 for a number of different family researches'.

                            Hope this helps.

                            TJ

                            From: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com [mailto:TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Ty Wenglar
                             suggest your e-mail Marti Advice about Hiring a Professional Researcher

                            From: "dofrco@embarqmail. com" dofrco@embarqmail. com

                            .

                          • dofrco@embarqmail.com
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jan 28, 2010

                              Thanks so much Ty,

                              Your information is so helpful.  That’s the kind of info I need to help me plan how much to budget.

                              I’m thinking that I need to plan on more than $200.

                              Doris

                              Message 14 of 30 , Jan 28, 2010

                                TJ,

                                Thanks for your suggestions.  I emailed Martin for an estimate and basically just got an hourly rate plus traveling expenses.  I’ve now come to the conclusion that is the norm.   It sort of left me scratching my head as to how much to plan for. I realize he can’t give me a “total cost” estimate, so  I thought maybe others could help me get some king of general idea..  Guess I will just have to jump in and see what comes out.

                                From: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com [mailto:TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Ty Wenglar
                                 suggest your e-mail Marti Advice about Hiring a Professional Researcher

                                Well, I had to find where we came from to begin.  But, if you know the town your ancestors came from $200 should get you back to the mid to late 1700's unless there are issues in the records.

                                Ty

                              • Richard and Judy Smith
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jan 28, 2010

                                  Doris,

                                  I used Mirek Koudelka twice and both times his rates were very reasonable.  He may not get the research

                                  done as quickly as some other researchers because he will do research for more than one person at a time.

                                  This helps hold his costs down.  The second time he did research for me he sent me information in about

                                  a month and I thought that was timely enough.  Both times he found the information I was looking for even

                                  though he had to go to several places to find it.

                                  Judy Smith

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jan 28, 2010
                                    Doris,

                                    See below.  This is the quote I received from Martin when I first inquired about doing research for me.  All told I will end up spending about $500 with Martin but it took the first $300 just to find the village that my ancestors came from.  If you already know that information you should be able to get things done for one days work.  Once we found where my ancestors came from Martin was able to trace and document my ancestors from their immigration in 1879 back to 1770 in one day.

                                    Hope this helps,

                                    Ty

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jan 28, 2010
                                           I would suggest that you have a very good understanding with whomever you decide to hire.  I had some work
                                      done several years ago.  Like you, I needed to get by as economical as possible.  I had been corresponding with
                                      Martin Pytr and with someone else that I had met over there who enjoys doing research as a sideline.  I had sought
                                      some generic information from Martin and, in the process had given him what information that I had on my ancestors.
                                      Apparently, at some point during our e-mail conversations I stated that I might be interested in employing his services
                                      at some time in the future.
                                          In the meantime, I gave the other person the go-ahead to do the research.
                                          After a period of time I got an e-mail from Martin stating that he had completed my research.
                                          Long story short: I paid two people to do the same research.
                                          Carroll Warschak

                                      From: TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:TexasCzechs @yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of Ty Wenglar
                                       suggest your e-mail Marti Advice about Hiring a Professional Researcher

                                      Well, I had to find where we came from to begin.  But, if you know the town your ancestors came from $200 should get you back to the mid to late 1700's unless there are issues in the records.

                                      Ty

                                    • carl homeyer
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jan 29, 2010
                                        Doris,

                                        Have some info on the Burleson County Drgac.

                                        Carl

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jan 29, 2010

                                          Thanks Judy,

                                          References are so important when doing business with people in other countries.  I have found out there is more to hiring a researcher than just finding a name.

                                          Doris Barton Coats

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jan 29, 2010

                                            Thanks Ty,

                                            This is encouraging.  I guess if I wanted to try go back to the mid 1600s, I should double that to about $400.  I understand that is how far back the Moravian records go.

                                            Martin has sent me his rates, and they are pretty much the same as what you sent.  His travel rate has gone up to $25.

                                            I think I am getting a fairly good idea of how it all works now.

                                            Thanks,

                                            Doris Barton Coats

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jan 29, 2010

                                              Carroll,

                                              That is some good advice.  That was some costly experience.  I certainly don’t need to double my expenses.  TJ also advised me to put a limit on the time the researcher should spend on any one person if he/she is having trouble finding the records.

                                              With all the sound advice from all the helpful people in our group, I think I will at least be able to hire someone feeling like I am not jumping in blindly.

                                              Thanks,

                                              Doris Barton Coats

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jan 29, 2010

                                                Hey Carl!

                                                I was just recently thinking about you and wondering if  you were still researching.  I thought about emailing you, but I have lost all my contacts because I am now on my third computer within the last couple years.

                                                I’m anxious to know what info you have.

                                                If you would prefer to email privately, my email is <dofrco@...>

                                                Doris

                                                Have some info on the Burleson County Drgac.

                                                Carl

                                              • Melissa Eckhoff
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jan 29, 2010
                                                  Does anyone have a Method Kubena in their family tree?  He would have lived in the Flatonia, Texas area.  Let me know.

                                                  Thanks!
                                                  Melissa

                                                • Matt Cross
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Jan 29, 2010
                                                    I don't have anyone with that name, but what time period are we looking at?
                                                    Matt Cross
                                                    lennonluv@...

                                                    To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com

                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Jan 29, 2010
                                                      I believe he was born in 1865.  He also had a son named Method from what I am reading.

                                                      I found a picture of him in the St. Mary's Praha Church book.  I am looking for any info about him.

                                                      Melissa

                                                      lennonluv@hotmail. com

                                                      To: TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com

                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Jan 29, 2010
                                                        Well, there's a death certificate for a Method W. Kubena showing birth 31 Jan 1866 in Straseberg, Moravia; death 22 Jul 1934 in Flatonia.
                                                        Matt Cross
                                                        lennonluv@...

                                                        To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
                                                        From: melissa_eckhoff@...
                                                        Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 20:15:21 -0800

                                                        To: TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com

                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Jan 30, 2010
                                                          Three questions that I would like to ask about the research done by two people.  Were the results exactly the same, and if not,  what was different?  Also, what was the difference in their bills?
                                                          Joe Levek

                                                          From: TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:TexasCzechs @yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of Ty Wenglar
                                                           suggest your e-mail Marti Advice about Hiring a Professional Researcher

                                                          Well, I had to find where we came from to begin.  But, if you know the town your ancestors came from $200 should get you back to the mid to late 1700's unless there are issues in the records.

                                                          Ty

                                                        • vmichna
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Jan 30, 2010
                                                            I am like you and do not need info from the CR tomorrow or the next day, but will settle for a reasonable time. A month isn't so long when it's been over 120 years since my ancestors immigrated.

                                                            Do you have contact info for Mirek Koudelka and any other info on how he works, etc?

                                                            Thanks,

                                                            Valorie Michna

                                                            --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Richard and Judy Smith" <rasjas2@...> wrote:

                                                            > Doris,
                                                            >

                                                            > I used Mirek Koudelka twice and both times his rates were very reasonable.
                                                            > He may not get the research
                                                            >
                                                            > done as quickly as some other researchers because he will do research for
                                                            > more than one person at a time.
                                                            >
                                                            > This helps hold his costs down. The second time he did research for me he
                                                            > sent me information in about
                                                            >
                                                            > a month and I thought that was timely enough. Both times he found the
                                                            > information I was looking for even
                                                            >
                                                            > though he had to go to several places to find it.
                                                            >

                                                            > Judy Smith
                                                            >

                                                            > _____

                                                          • Richard and Judy Smith
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Jan 31, 2010

                                                              He has a website that may answer many of your questions.  It is

                                                              http://www.volweb.cz/mirekk/

                                                              If I can help you in any other way I will be happy to.

                                                              Judy Smith

                                                              I am like you and do not need info from the CR tomorrow or the next day, but will settle for a reasonable time. A month isn't so long when it's been over 120 years since my ancestors immigrated.

                                                              Do you have contact info for Mirek Koudelka and any other info on how he works, etc?

                                                              Thanks,

                                                              Valorie Michna

                                                              --- In TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com, "Richard and Judy Smith" <rasjas2@... > wrote:

                                                              > Doris ,
                                                              >

                                                              > I used Mirek Koudelka twice and both times his rates were very reasonable.
                                                              > He may not get the research
                                                              >
                                                              > done as quickly as some other researchers because he will do research for
                                                              > more than one person at a time.
                                                              >
                                                              > This helps hold his costs down. The second time he did research for me he
                                                              > sent me information in about
                                                              >
                                                              > a month and I thought that was timely enough. Both times he found the
                                                              > information I was looking for even
                                                              >
                                                              > though he had to go to several places to find it.
                                                              >

                                                              > Judy Smith
                                                              >

                                                              > _____

                                                            • davidschroeder991
                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Feb 1, 2010
                                                                I used Jakub Smid of Brno with good results for researching the Trebon Archive.

                                                                Jakub Smid - Ke Statku 4, CZ-621 00 Brno - cubasmith@...