Speaking of which...

  • BusterXIII
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 30, 2009

      My family is a 'duke's mixture' (Czech, German, Alsatian, Irish, Scotch, Creole, Choctaw, Cherokee, and Apatche) so the food we ate growing up was influenced from all over... however, with New Years coming up, there is one dish that I have never seen outside of my family and wander if others have ever heard (or eaten)...  It is 'wilted' greens (could be spinach, collard, turnip or mustard sauteed in bacon grease) and mixed with pickled carrots and cauliflower...

      I hated this as a child but now look forward to it, as it is (for some strange reason) only served on New Years Day!

      I never could figure the origin of this, but I know it goes back at least 50 - 60 years.

      Buster

    • Andikat@aol.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 30, 2009
          Buster, that is what we called collard greens.  The best meal I ever had was greens cooked in bacon and crocked pot all day, pork chops, pinto beans, and cornbread.

          The is a old Southern saying when something is good:
          Makes you want to slap your Momma Silly.  Where that was started, I do not know, but a client used one time to me.

          I said to my husband one time, He looked at me like I had lost my mind.

          paula

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 30, 2009
            Yep, that is it.  The tenants farmers planted it in the fall.  Now some plant what they called turnip greens.  They would cutup the turnips and the greens cook them together with ham or bacon grease.  I have done spinich like this with bacon bits and boil eggs on top, makes a good dish.  paulasmaggie

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 31, 2009
              I have seen and eaten other 'wilted' greens before, but I have never seen any other that added the pickled carrots and cauliflowers.

              buster