Re: [TexasCzechs] Blackeye Pea Hoax

  • Paula Foster
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 30, 2009
      Buster, Thank God I planned cornbread.  I myself enjoy and prefer black eye peas and cornbread and could do without the rest.  There is nothing poor about these meals.  The writer should understand this is just plain good old cooking I was brought up on.  paula

      From: Paula Foster <pfosterbmt@sbcgloba l.net>
      Subject: [TexasCzechs] Blackeye Pea Hoax
      To: TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Tuesday, December 29, 2009, 3:17 AM

      Yep, everyone that "little" tradition we have followed, with some of us forcing our poor children by guilt that you had to eat at least a spoonful of black-eye peas on New Years Day is a Hoax.  It was started by Elmore Torn Sr. in 1947 in Henderson County Texas with a 2 oz can of black-eye peas and a fly er.  Up till then it was a staple for tenant farmers and animals.  In WWI it graced the landowners table because of meatless days.  Folks I would say we have all been "duped", but I will still be eating those peas.  My Grandmamma did a excellent "guilt job" on eating them on New Years Day.  paulasmaggie
      Find the facts about the hoax on Texas Escapes.Com under the Great Blackeyed Pea Hoax

    • Buster Mitchell

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 30, 2009
          Buster, All this homecooking talk is making me hungry.  The bad part is I am still eating Turkey and Dressing.  I was brought up to clean out a icebox, after  5 days, I am going to freeze the dressing.

          On the Turkey I have a client smoke it.  Here in Beaumont the big deal is fried.  I prefer smoke.  I can cook regular Turkey, but smoke is better.  There is also a Cajun Dish that is called TurDuck.  paulasmaggie