obit: Mrs. Joe Stefka and child

  • Rosemary Ermis
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2009
      Shiner, Feb. 15.--The wife and 15-months-old baby of Joe Stefka, living five miles south of here were found dead by Stefka at noon today.  The woman's head was torn away by a load of shot and two shots entered each side of her breast.  The child was shot in the bowels.  There were evidences of a terrible struggle.  The room was covered with blood and brains.  Stefka's gun, which laid near the bodies with three empty sheels on the floor and two in the gun, did the bloody work of the murderer.  Stefka was brought in by the officers and charged with the Crime.  His examining trial is set for Monday.

      Weimar Mercury Thursday, February 16, 1905

      Hallettsville, Tex., Nov. 10.--The case of the State of Texas vs. Joseph Stefka for the murder of his wife was placed on trial this morning.  As the case is somewhat notorious owing to the cruel features that are connected with it, an infant child being killed at the same time, the special venire was quickly exhausted, seven jurors being selected.  The case was tried at the last term of the court, resulting in a mistrial.  There were no eyewitnesses to the crime, and the dependant says his wife and child were killed during a temporary absence from his home.

      The Galveston Daily News, Saturday, November 11, 1905

      Hallettsville, March 16 -- Judge Kennon has stated that he would not order a special venire in the Stefka case, as it was his intention to change venue in the case.

      Stetka is charged with the murder of his wife and little child at their home near Shiner last February.  He was tried here at the Spring and fall terms of court last year and each time the jury failed to agree.  Stefka is out on bond.

      The Weimar Mercury March 24, 1906

      Submitted by Rosemary Ermis
    • kickingbird4
      Message 2 of 4 , May 3, 2010
        Thank you Rosemary. This means more than you know.
        --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Rosemary Ermis" <roseermis@...> wrote:

        > Shiner, Feb. 15.--The wife and 15-months-old baby of Joe Stefka, living five miles south of here were found dead by Stefka at noon today. The woman's head was torn away by a load of shot and two shots entered each side of her breast. The child was shot in the bowels. There were evidences of a terrible struggle. The room was covered with blood and brains. Stefka's gun, which laid near the bodies with three empty sheels on the floor and two in the gun, did the bloody work of the murderer. Stefka was brought in by the officers and charged with the Crime. His examining trial is set for Monday.
        >
        > Weimar Mercury Thursday, February 16, 1905

        > Hallettsville, Tex., Nov. 10.--The case of the State of Texas vs. Joseph Stefka for the murder of his wife was placed on trial this morning. As the case is somewhat notorious owing to the cruel features that are connected with it, an infant child being killed at the same time, the special venire was quickly exhausted, seven jurors being selected. The case was tried at the last term of the court, resulting in a mistrial. There were no eyewitnesses to the crime, and the dependant says his wife and child were killed during a temporary absence from his home.
        >
        > The Galveston Daily News, Saturday, November 11, 1905

        > Hallettsville, March 16 -- Judge Kennon has stated that he would not order a special venire in the Stefka case, as it was his intention to change venue in the case.
        >
        > Stetka is charged with the murder of his wife and little child at their home near Shiner last February. He was tried here at the Spring and fall terms of court last year and each time the jury failed to agree. Stefka is out on bond.
        >
        > The Weimar Mercury March 24, 1906
        >
        > Submitted by Rosemary Ermis

      • Paula Foster
        Message 3 of 4 , May 3, 2010
          Lets get real here.  We are talking about 1905.  This man really wants you to believe a stranger came in shot his wife and baby or she committed suicide.  My question which juror got paid off.  paulasmaggie

          Message 4 of 4 , May 3, 2010
            It was a matter of prejudice too; Czech's were really looked down on--not unlike Latino's were/are, Native American ad nauseum--it was also a mans world. No one cared who did it or why, they just wanted the case over with and out the door(my ancestors talking here, not me). Czechs were considered second class citizens and justice was meted out based on who had the most money............