Emailing: ed-podolaks-mother-passes-away in Iowa

  • jpatrick
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 11, 2009
      Ed Podolak’s mother passed away | GazetteOnline.com

      Ed Podolak’s mother passed away

      Posted on Sep 11, 2009 by Admin.

      edpodolakDorothy Podolak, mother of Ed Podolak, has passed away. She died peacefully in her sleep last night at the Heritage House Assisted Living facility in Atlantic. Dorothy was 90.

      Ed is a former Hawkeye running back and quarterback who has been part of Iowa’s radio broadcast team, in football, for over 25 years. He and his brother, Charlie, both played football for the Hawkeyes in the late 60’s and early 70’s.

      Podolak’s parents were staunch and constant supporters of Iowa football, through the bad years, as well as the good. Ed’s father, Joe, passed away in March of 2008. Both Podolak parents were in attendance at most Iowa games until health issues prevented their travelling across the state.

      Podolak has indicated he will be in the booth for Saturday’s Iowa-Iowa State game in Ames.

      “My mother would have been very upset with me, if I missed working this game,” said Podolak. “She had me lay out her Iowa football shirt when I visited her Wednesday. She wanted to wear it while listening to this week’s game. Iowa football was a passion for my parents. I know mom and papa Joe will be looking down, together,  on the Hawkeyes this year.”

      Funeral plans for Dorothy Podolak are pending.

      Source: University of Iowa Sports Department

      © 2009 GazetteOnline.com. All Rights Reserved.