prayers for Darlene's grandma

  • Nancy Sugarek
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 11, 2009
      Darlene,
      You have my prayers and sympathy for what you are experiencing with your grandma.  As a nurse and a daughter and granddaughter I have learned the blessings of a "good" death when recovery is no longer possible... and of the pain of loss and decisions.
         I have gone through this with two grandmothers and my father.  My mother's mother had also said that she would never want to be helpless, so when she had the bleed in her brain, the decision was not such a tough one, as we lovingly stayed with her during her last days.  My father's mother (Anna Holik Sugarek), when the situation was no longer fixable at the age of 96, was able to tell me that she was dying, she loved me and that she would miss us all, and then add, "It's not so bad to die when you are a Christian, please pray for those who die who aren't."  We took her home from the hospital, lovingly surrounded her with family and she died peacefully in her own bed less than 24 hours later.  Her death was like to end to a beautiful story that you will always treasure.  My father was so ill in hospice that he asked "how long is this going to take?!?" and anxiously awaited meeting his Lord.  While loosing him was hard, knowing that he was no longer hurting or afraid made it easier.
         So, my words to you are words of encouragement, wishing you comfort and peace, healing if possible and a gentle transition for your beloved grandma if healing is not.
      Nancy Sugarek