obit: Sister M. Nepomucene Svatek

  • Rosemary Ermis
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 10, 2009
      Sister M. Nepomucene Svatek, 78, resident of Victoria for the past 21 years, died at 11:30 p.m. Tuesday at Incarnate Word Convent following a long illness.

      She was born April 5, 1899 at Sweet Home, and formerly resided in the Nazareth Convent.  She was the daughter of the late John and Ann Kucere [Kucera?]Svatek.

      Funeral services will be held at 3 p.m. Wednesday at the Sisters Chapel at the Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrament Mother House with the Rt. Rev. Monsignor Alex Krause officiating.

      Burial will be in Catholic Cemetery No. 3 under direction of McCabe-Carruth Funeral Home.

      Survivors include six sisters, Mrs. Mary Slegel of Houston, Mrs. Bessie Svoboda, Mrs. Christina Marek, Mrs. Agnes Slegel and Mrs. Katie Machart, all of Shiner, and Sister M. Bohumilla Svatek of Victoria.

      Pallbearers will be Leo Sala, Charles Kutchka, M.V. Sandhofer, Oscar Frazer, Bernard Gendron and Harold Topping.

      Victoria Advocate, Wednesday, November 30, 1977

      Submitted by Rosemary Ermis
    • Matt Cross
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 11, 2009
        I think this obituary contains some erroneous information. Katie Svatek Machart died in 1973, and thus, preceded M. Nepomucene Svatek in death. Her husband Vaclav "Jim" Machart was a brother to Raymond Machart, my granduncle by marriage (He was married to Hilda Derrich). Also, Mary should be Mary Siegel, and I think Agnes should also be a Siegel, but I'm not sure because it's not my direct line.

        Matt Cross
        lennonluv@...

        To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com

        Victoria Advocate, Wednesday, November 30, 1977

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 11, 2009
          Sorry about the Siegel errors.  Sometimes it is hard to determine an "i" and "l" in newsprint.

          Rosemary

          lennonluv@hotmail. com

          To: TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com

          Victoria Advocate, Wednesday, November 30, 1977

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 11, 2009
            I know how difficult it can be to read those old articles, especially when you don't have it printed out.
            Matt Cross
            lennonluv@...

            To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
            From: roseermis@...
            Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 15:39:53 -0500

            To: TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com

            Victoria Advocate, Wednesday, November 30, 1977

            Submitted by Rosemary Ermis