Emigration from the Austrian Empire-Franz Sugarek

  • Richard Garza
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 11, 2000
      Gilbert & Listers,
      Gilbert poses some good questions from which we should all learn. Not
      being a historian, I hope someone more knowledgeable will fill us in.
      But, here I will submit my two cents' worth.
      To start the process, a citizen of the Austrian Empire would have to ask
      permission from several juridictions, beginning with his local
      village/town/city. This was necessary to give any of his creditors the
      opportunity to present their claims for any debts by the applicant.
      Similar to posting a legal notice in today's newspapers. (Below I
      reproduce an application to the Royal Distric Authority by one Franz
      ´┐ŻUGAREK as translated in Drahomir Strnadel's book for the Czech Heritage
      Society "Emigration to Texas From the Mistek District Between 1856 and
      1900".)
      Bohemia in the mid-19th century had no equal when it came to locomotives
      and their train system. Sadly, many of those wishing to emigrate from
      Bohemia and Moravia did not have the wherewithal to board a train to
      Bremen and were reduced to using foot power and a cart, wagon or
      wheelbarrow to get them across Europe to their port of embarkation.
      This, in itself, was a treacherous voyage as Mother Nature had a few
      tricks up her sleeve and, not to mention, the days of highway robbery
      were far from over.
      As to arrangements: sailing ship lines, followed by steam ship lines,
      had agents throughout Europe. Placards were pasted everywhere, ads were
      published in newspapers and "Kalendar"s, such as those mentioned by
      Susan Rektorik in reference to Dr. Machann's source for his book "Czech
      Voices..."
      Now, to the application of Franz Sugarek in Mayor Strnadel's book.

      "To the Imperial and Royal District Authority:
      The signatory humbly pleads to be kindly granted a pass from our
      homeland in Europe to North America, for the following reasons:
      1. I am from the village of Hajov by birth, as proven by my birth
      certificate, but now settled and the owner of house No. 22 in Male
      Kuncicky in the bailiwick of the Imperial and Royal District Authority of
      Mistek, widowed and the father of two small children, as proven by
      enclosures 1, 2 and 3.
      2. Since living here in our region and neighborhood is very sad and
      poverty has occurred which has lasted for many years, and one can in no
      way make his living as there is no income, although one would like to
      earn a just existense, I have conceived the intention to leave our region
      with my whole family and depart for a foreign land, namely North America,
      and perhaps find a better living there, if God permits.
      3. For my homestead not to remain empty, and for all of the prescribed
      duties toward the village and other obligations to be fulfilled, I pledge
      to find another person to take my place and sell him my cottage before my
      departure.
      4. To prove the truth of my statements I am enclosing all of the
      necessary things to my humble plea that the Imperial and Royal District
      Authority kindly grant and deliver to me the requested pass for North
      America without any obstacles.
      In Male Kuncicky, 19 February 1856
      Franz ´┐ŻUGAREK "

      Gilbert, once permission was given the applicant had a certain time in
      which to use that permission and leave the country. I think somewhere I
      read it was 5 months or so. Finding a buyer quickly was also something
      of a bit of highway robbery as the seller was at the mercy of the buyer
      who knew there were time constraints. Otherwise the hopeful emigrant
      would have to start the process all over again.
      As to how long it took to sail, there are several books, including the
      Strnadel book, that detail some of these hardships and the traveling
      time. Steam ships reduced the time from months to weeks.
      Would some of the listers help flesh out the picture of the hardships
      our immigrants faced?

      Sharing. It's What It's All About!
      Rick Garza
      http://www.garza-zattler.homepage.com/
      NameSearch: GARZA, ZATTLER, REYNA, FOSTER, SCHACHTNER, STOPFER,
      HOLLMAIER, VOGEL, VOGL, WEINZIERL, FINK
      http://www.egroups.com/database/texasczechs

      ================
      From: Gilbert Bohuslav <bohuslav@...>
      To: texasczechs@egroups.com
      Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 13:06:50 -0500

      One of the things that has always had my interest is "traveling by ship"
      to America. My relatives came from Bremen, Germany. Information like:
      1) How did they get from Moravia to Bremen?
      2) How did they make those arrangements?
      3) What procedure did they have to go through to get permission to
      come to America?
      4) How long did it take and what was the ship/travel like?
      5) When they arrived at their port, how did they get from there to
      where
      they were going? In fact, how did they know where they were
      going?
      These are questions that intrigue me and I would love to see someone
      discuss these in greater detail.

      Gilbert Bohuslav

      Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.