RE: [TexasCzechs] Obituaries. Remove Oneself.

  • helen black
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 31, 2009
      Though I do not do genealogical research, I can certainly say that the obituaries are invaluable sources of information for those who do this research.   Also, and equally as valuable, the obituaries offer an understanding of our own ancestors and other Czech families who settled in Texas communities.  We also get glimpses into their ways of life, their descendants, their family of origin, their religion, their occupation, their accomplishments: in other words, a social history of the Czechs.  The obituaries, current and past, certainly belong in this forum.

      I have found here obituaries of Czech people  from my community in north Texas who I had lost track of and always wondered what happened to them, especially the ones who moved away.

      Please keep the obituaries and thanks to those who submit them.  If one does not choose to read them,  there is always the "Delete" button.

      Sincerely,
      Helen Macha Black

      From: patsroar@embarqmail .com
      Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 21:24:56 -0500

      I also hope the obits continue.  Several have been very helpful to our family tree.  A few minutes spent deleting those which do not apply works fine.  Keep up the good work!

      Pat Lyon

      From: kpodz@...
      Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 17:26:54 -0500

      Could only current obits be posted to the group, others to archive, unless a request for a specific one? Thanks

    • Regina Janak
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 1, 2009
        I agree a lot of the obits have nothing to do with my family, some I delete right away and some I read and they are interesting.  We need the older obits because sometimes the name on the obit does not match but some one else with survivors do.  It only takes a minute to delete what you don't want.  Thanks for all the obits.

        Regina

        To: texasczechs@ yahoogroups. com
        From: kpodz@...
        Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 17:26:54 -0500

        Could only current obits be posted to the group, others to archive, unless a request for a specific one? Thanks

      • Sir John
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 1, 2009
          Well said, Helen.

          Sir John, Earl of Berkshire

          To: TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com
          From: patsroar@embarqmail .com
          Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 21:24:56 -0500

          To: texasczechs@ yahoogroups. com
          From: kpodz@...
          Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 17:26:54 -0500

          Could only current obits be posted to the group, others to archive, unless a request for a specific one? Thanks

        • Jennifer Schubert
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 1, 2009
            I agree. While doing some research, I had a hard time figuring out how many siblings that my great-grandfather had. However, I stumbled onto his obit, and not only did I figure that out, but also found out his sisters' married names, as well as his mother's name. Until you start to use them, you don't realize how useful they can be.

            To: TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com
            From: patsroar@embarqmail .com
            Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 21:24:56 -0500

            To: texasczechs@ yahoogroups. com
            From: kpodz@...
            Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 17:26:54 -0500

            Could only current obits be posted to the group, others to archive, unless a request for a specific one? Thanks

          • watthuber@aol.com
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 1, 2009

              You are right Sir John, I have names related to me to be very helpful. And my delete button works when I don't need some of them.
            • Jan
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 1, 2009
                What an awesome idea!!  I love the obits and the history they provide, but the marriage and birth announcements would be interesting also!

                joejanecka@... wrote:

                Personally, I'd rather see marriage and birth announcements.

                Joe

                To: texasczechs@ yahoogroups. com
                From: kpodz@...
                Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 17:26:54 -0500

                Could only current obits be posted to the group, others to archive, unless a request for a specific one? Thanks

              • texasczech2000
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 10, 2009
                  --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Regina Janak <capmoment@...>

                  I love reading all the emails, but find that going to Juno is always last on my list of things to do. Could you start emailing me at this email address: texasczech2000@... ? I sure would appreciate it.
                  Kay
                • Cindy Neal
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 10, 2009
                    You will need to go to Yahoo, sign in, and change your email address associated with your yahoo id.

                    Cindy