Obituaries. Remove Oneself.

  • Allen Livanec
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 31, 2009
       Is there some way to exempt yourself from receiving "Obits" through the E-Mail?

      Dekuju
      Allen
    • Cindy Neal
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 31, 2009
        Allen, you can set yourself to "no mail" and go online to read the messages, then only read the ones you want to read.   There is no way to be subscribed to only part of the messages.

        Cindy

         Is there some way to exempt yourself from receiving "Obits" through the E-Mail?

        Dekuju
        Allen

      • Robert and Nancy
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 31, 2009
          If you use Outlook Express to read email, you can set up a message rule to delete any email that has the word "Obit" in the subject line.  Go to Tools>Message Rules>Mail and click the "New" button.  The method of adding a rule is pretty straightforward, but if you need help, email me privately and I'll help.

          I, for one, am loving the obits and have been meaning to say thank you to those who provide them.  There are plenty of them that have no bearing on my family tree.  But I have found lots and lots of leads to family members in the obits.  I have even been going to the Yahoo site and searching the old messages for obits that might help me connect some dots in my family tree.  Thank you Rosemary, Ray, Matt, and anyone else who sends obits to the list.

          Nancy

          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 31, 2009
             Thanks Cindy. I guess I will just have to keep deleting every day.

            Allen

            Allen, you can set yourself to "no mail" and go online to read the messages, then only read the ones you want to read.   There is no way to be subscribed to only part of the messages.

            Cindy

             Is there some way to exempt yourself from receiving "Obits" through the E-Mail?

            Dekuju
            Allen

          • Matt Cross
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 31, 2009
              Allen,

              Have you tried using filters with your AT&T e-mail account?

              Matt Cross
              lennonluv@...

              ________________________________
              > To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
              > From: allen.livanec@...
              > Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 07:52:51 -0700
              > Subject: Re: [TexasCzechs] Obituaries. Remove Oneself.
              >

              > [http://mail.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/14.gif%5d Thanks Cindy. I guess I will just have to keep deleting every day.
              >

              > Allen
              http://windowslive.com/Campaign/SocialNetworking?ocid=PID23285::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:SI_SB_facebook:082009
            • Sir John
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 31, 2009
                Allen,

                I think the two postings of filtering out e-mail messages with Obit in the subject line may keep them from showing up - not sure.  Cindy Neal is usually correct, so she may be correct.

                BUT, Lemme tell'ya what happened to me today!!!  One of Rosemary's postings, of each obit a lady's maiden name or male's wife's name.  My paternal grandfather, who married a Miikeska, wrote an article in 1948, printed in Czech of West, TX newspaper of what he remembered as a boy in Moravia, the trip to Galveston, and on up to his and wife's 50th Anniversary  (when wrote the article)  He spoke of 'Uncle Syptak' being with them.  (I never found Syptak on the ship list)  And he commented of one person coming with them that didn't pay fare.  Uncle Syptak??  I've found couple Syptaks but never got connected to kinfolks.  TODAY, Rosemary gives obit of  Albina Carrie Syptak Mikeska !  She was born 1890 in Bryan - my gr/grandparents came in 1880 and settled around Bryan.  Connection I may find Syptak kinfolks. and if kin, appears a cousin marrying a cousin....  Not first time happened in my data.  <G>

                If I had had cut off the obits, I'd never seen this obit and possible connection.  I look at the name of the obits and if do not see any name connecting my kin, I delete the obit.  Takes only a minutes, and possible a question of my looking for 15 years may be answered.

                Sir  John, Earl of Berkshire

                 Thanks Cindy. I guess I will just have to keep deleting every day.

                Allen

                Allen, you can set yourself to "no mail" and go online to read the messages, then only read the ones you want to read.   There is no way to be subscribed to only part of the messages.

                Cindy

                 Is there some way to exempt yourself from receiving "Obits" through the E-Mail?

                Dekuju
                Allen

              • G Martisek
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 31, 2009
                  Message
                  If you are using Outlook, you could probably put in a rule that says if "obit" in subject move to a particular folder or delete.

                   Is there some way to exempt yourself from receiving "Obits" through the E-Mail?

                  Dekuju
                  Allen

                • Kathy Podsednik
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 31, 2009
                    Could only current obits be posted to the group, others to archive, unless a request for a specific one? Thanks

                    To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
                    From: ggmartisek@...
                    Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 16:56:29 -0500

                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 31, 2009
                      One problem I would have with posting the older obits to some sort of archive is that, even if the "archive" is a folder within the group, I fear we will have the problem of "out of sight, out of mind," such that people will not remember that such an archive is there. (Interestingly enough, social psychologists have found that dictum often applies to long-distance relationships.)

                      Matt Cross
                      lennonluv@...

                      To: texasczechs@yahoogroups.com
                      From: kpodz@...
                      Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 17:26:54 -0500

                      Could only current obits be posted to the group, others to archive, unless a request for a specific one? Thanks

                    • Lydia Mousner
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 31, 2009
                        I appreciate all the obits.  Most of them do not apply to my family tree but I always look and some have been very helpful.

                        Thanks to those of you who do this research and share with the rest of us.
                        Lydia

                        lennonluv@hotmail. com

                        To: texasczechs@ yahoogroups. com
                        From: kpodz@...
                        Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 17:26:54 -0500

                        Could only current obits be posted to the group, others to archive, unless a request for a specific one? Thanks

                      • Pat Lyon
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 31, 2009
                          I also hope the obits continue.  Several have been very helpful to our family tree.  A few minutes spent deleting those which do not apply works fine.  Keep up the good work!

                          Pat Lyon

                          To: texasczechs@ yahoogroups. com
                          From: kpodz@...
                          Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 17:26:54 -0500

                          Could only current obits be posted to the group, others to archive, unless a request for a specific one? Thanks

                        • joejanecka@att.net
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 31, 2009
                            Personally, I'd rather see marriage and birth announcements.

                            Joe

                            To: texasczechs@ yahoogroups. com
                            From: kpodz@...
                            Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 17:26:54 -0500

                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 31, 2009
                              Yes, I want the obits to continue, too, considering that even those that, at the time of posting, might not fit into my family tree, they might with further research.
                              Matt Cross
                              lennonluv@...

                              To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
                              From: patsroar@...
                              Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 21:24:56 -0500

                              To: texasczechs@ yahoogroups. com
                              From: kpodz@...
                              Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 17:26:54 -0500

                              Could only current obits be posted to the group, others to archive, unless a request for a specific one? Thanks

                            • helen black
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 31, 2009
                                Though I do not do genealogical research, I can certainly say that the obituaries are invaluable sources of information for those who do this research.   Also, and equally as valuable, the obituaries offer an understanding of our own ancestors and other Czech families who settled in Texas communities.  We also get glimpses into their ways of life, their descendants, their family of origin, their religion, their occupation, their accomplishments: in other words, a social history of the Czechs.  The obituaries, current and past, certainly belong in this forum.

                                I have found here obituaries of Czech people  from my community in north Texas who I had lost track of and always wondered what happened to them, especially the ones who moved away.

                                Please keep the obituaries and thanks to those who submit them.  If one does not choose to read them,  there is always the "Delete" button.

                                Sincerely,
                                Helen Macha Black

                                To: TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com
                                From: patsroar@embarqmail .com
                                Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 21:24:56 -0500

                                To: texasczechs@ yahoogroups. com
                                From: kpodz@...
                                Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 17:26:54 -0500

                                Could only current obits be posted to the group, others to archive, unless a request for a specific one? Thanks

                              • Regina Janak
                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 1, 2009
                                  I agree a lot of the obits have nothing to do with my family, some I delete right away and some I read and they are interesting.  We need the older obits because sometimes the name on the obit does not match but some one else with survivors do.  It only takes a minute to delete what you don't want.  Thanks for all the obits.

                                  Regina

                                  To: texasczechs@ yahoogroups. com
                                  From: kpodz@...
                                  Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 17:26:54 -0500

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 1, 2009
                                    Well said, Helen.

                                    Sir John, Earl of Berkshire

                                    To: TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com
                                    From: patsroar@embarqmail .com
                                    Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 21:24:56 -0500

                                    To: texasczechs@ yahoogroups. com
                                    From: kpodz@...
                                    Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 17:26:54 -0500

                                    Could only current obits be posted to the group, others to archive, unless a request for a specific one? Thanks

                                  • Jennifer Schubert
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Sep 1, 2009
                                      I agree. While doing some research, I had a hard time figuring out how many siblings that my great-grandfather had. However, I stumbled onto his obit, and not only did I figure that out, but also found out his sisters' married names, as well as his mother's name. Until you start to use them, you don't realize how useful they can be.

                                      To: TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com
                                      From: patsroar@embarqmail .com
                                      Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 21:24:56 -0500

                                      To: texasczechs@ yahoogroups. com
                                      From: kpodz@...
                                      Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 17:26:54 -0500

                                      Could only current obits be posted to the group, others to archive, unless a request for a specific one? Thanks

                                    • watthuber@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Sep 1, 2009

                                        You are right Sir John, I have names related to me to be very helpful. And my delete button works when I don't need some of them.
                                      • Jan
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Sep 1, 2009
                                          What an awesome idea!!  I love the obits and the history they provide, but the marriage and birth announcements would be interesting also!

                                          To: texasczechs@ yahoogroups. com
                                          From: kpodz@...
                                          Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 17:26:54 -0500

                                          Could only current obits be posted to the group, others to archive, unless a request for a specific one? Thanks

                                        • texasczech2000
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Sep 10, 2009
                                            --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Regina Janak <capmoment@...>

                                            I love reading all the emails, but find that going to Juno is always last on my list of things to do. Could you start emailing me at this email address: texasczech2000@... ? I sure would appreciate it.
                                            Kay
                                          • Cindy Neal
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Sep 10, 2009
                                              You will need to go to Yahoo, sign in, and change your email address associated with your yahoo id.

                                              Cindy